Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2022, 05:59 PM   #1

Question 6 Gallon water heater only Holding 3 Gallons???

My Hot water has a rotten egg smell so I wanted to flush out the hot water heater and remove scale with Vinegar. I have the Atwood GC6AA-10E water heater. It is suppose to be a 6 Gallon Tank. After draining all the water out using the drain plug I started to fill it with a 50 - 50 Mix of water and vinegar. Per this You Tube Video this is how I was filling the tank. . I got to 3 Gallons of Vinegar so then I switched to water. I only got about 1/2 gallon of water in the tank then it started over flow out the relief valve. Does that sound Right? 6 gallon tank not even holding 4 gallons

Jim
freekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:59 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. it is a 6 gallon tank however the pressure relief is not on the very top of the tank which I believe caused the difference the amount of water you put in. JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 09:15 AM   #3

Close the pressure relief valve, and open a hot water faucet. You can also use the hot water low point drain to siphon vinegar in, once you get the hot water plumbing relatively full.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:29 AM   #4

Water Heater Woes

One starts with a 6-gallon tank, add the heat exchanger mechanical elements, the anode rod, and the pressure relief valve and one has a vessel that no longer holds 6 gallons. As others have stated, the pressure relief valve is not at the top of the tank so there is space between the relief valve and the tank top that can not be filled with water.

It is best to remove the anode rod and flush out the tank. There will likely be some white calcium debris coming out of the opening. These are minerals that precipitate out of the water when it is heated. This is normal. I use my air compressor and a long snout to reach inside the tank and blow the debris out. Stand back or it will get all over you.

Chlorinated or treated water, when contained and allowed to stand for a period of time, does contain microscopic plant growth that is killed due to the treatment of the water. This microscopic plant growth decays and smells like sulfur or rotten eggs. Again this is normal and is not harmful other than the smell.

Simply empty the tank via the anode rod port, flush the tank, put the anode rod back in place, and fill the tank normally.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #5
Part-Time Campground Host

I'm pretty sure an Atwood GC6AA-10E water heater does not have an anode rod.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1687
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:04 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
I'm pretty sure an Atwood GC6AA-10E water heater does not have an anode rod.
I agree. Suburban heaters have anodes (had one on our Georgetown)……not with Atwood models (like on our Sunseeker)…..as far as I know too.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 01:24 PM   #7

Atwood water heaters do not have anode rods.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:42 PM   #8

I notice that many of the posts on this forum are posted to cancel out previously posted misinformation.

Thus, I will also add that the Atwood GC6AA-10E does not have an anode rod. There is a pressure relief valve and a separate drain plug.
Old 10-09-2022, 03:48 PM   #9

Water Heater Woes

The point is, regardless if it does have an anode or does not have an anode rod, anything installed in the tank reduces the tank capacity. Even the accumulation of leached-out minerals accumulating in the bottom of the tank reduces tank capacity.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
I notice that many of the posts on this forum are posted to cancel out previously posted misinformation.

Thus, I will also add that the Atwood GC6AA-10E does not have an anode rod.
And also many posts on this forum are repetitive posts to cancel out misinformation which has already been corrected by previous posts because some people don't read the whole thread to discover the correction has already been posted just like I just did a couple of posts previously! I plead GUILTY!
Old 10-09-2022, 05:11 PM   #11

If you got (suspect) about 3 gallons of crud in your tank / system...
time to get a better water supply / filter and softener

I would think that you would see some of that crud getting into and even past your aerators.
run all your faucets and check in your sinks and shower bottoms
maybe take out aerators and check for crud.

Are you sure you allowed enough time to heat up the water...
if using propane .. make sure you clean the burner occasionally, it may not be heating water efficiently.

Check propane level in the tanks and make sure the tank is FULLY OPEN to allow max gas flow

While on electrical hookup pedestal I turn on the Electric heater element for the water.

IF a lot of crud buildup...
a) Take tank out
b) shake it vigorously for ten minutes
ask friendly paint store owner if they can to do this for you
c) empty tank and all the crud

By connecting it to a good pressure water source while OUTSIDE and flush it real good

Vinegar will not dissolve all that buildup stuff if you have a lot
but will make you feel like you accomplished something
the manual says to flush it with vinegar to remove the smell (rotten eggs)

PS .... I tried to do the same for my house system could NOT get the crud out of the tank .. replaced the hot water heater!

Tags
heater, water, water heater