Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #1

ABS Pipe Question... Grey Water line didn't like Minnesota Cold Temps

My Coachmen Orion 21TB Grey Water pipe underneath my RV from the Tank to the Valve fell apart after being frozen. Does the thickness of the ABS matter, the 2' section 1 1/2" I ordered is much thicker. There is no ABS to be had anywhere here; at least in Brevard County FL, so before I proceed some assurances from the kind, wise members of this Forum would be appreciated!

Ok I know my Orion wasn't designed for Minnesota temps hovering around 0 a couple of nights, but I was boon docking outside my mom's assisted living helping her in her last days. There was record breaking weather in November. I sure learned to love my propane furnace. Setting the thermostat at 42 wasn't quite enough to keep the water flowing when a few nights got really cold, but set at 60 the water kept running. When I finally got to Dakotah Meadows RV Park to drain tanks, there was a ummm gigantic snow hunk covering the valves. Once I got that off I was able to drain the black tank, but the grey tank handle was frozen shut. When things warmed up to 42 I noticed water dripping off the pipe and the tank was empty by the time the valve was thawed out.

Now that I'm back in Florida I was able to get under there and it was really shattered. Lesson learned should I ever be somewhere so cold, immediately get somewhere where you can drain the tank and fill it with antifreeze right away. And use water sparingly in dishpans and not down the drain. I guess I'm lucky I didn't have black tank issues?? Or due to the nature of the black tanks contents it's not likely to freeze?

Bottom line I NEVER would've been able to be there for my mom if it wasn't for my RV, my dog was welcome at her complex...but bringing the 2 cats in just wouldn't have worked. I learned a lot, and I doubt I'll ever be caught in such extreme cold temps again, but I now at least have a workaround. Ahhh Lessons Learned.

Do you seen any issues in adding a thicker walled ABS to the run?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grey Water IMG_5523 (002).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	222479   Click image for larger version

Name:	grey IMG_5524 (002).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	453.3 KB
ID:	222480   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV in Snow IMG_5332 (002).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	222485  
Old 01-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #2

I think I would do that whole drain with the thicker material.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:31 PM   #3

I would do it with the thicker material. The only thing you may worry about is something getting hung up in the ridge...that is more of a black tank problem to me though.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Splicing in a piece of the thicker pipe is going to create an internal ridge in two places. Shouldn't hurt water flow too much but any solids are going to get hung up.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:06 PM   #5

I would not worry about the inside ridge on a grey tank since there should be no solids but if you are just use a dremel (or equivalent tool) and put a slight bevel on the inside of the thicker pipe to eliminate the ridge. Only need to do this on the side nearest the tank (upstream side) also if you choose to do it.
1000 sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #6

In winter, you connect your tote and leave the gray valve open. Most of us learned this the hard way. The lowest point in the gray plumbing is, of course, the line from the tank to the valve. If you put as little as a quart or two into the system, you put the low-end plumbing at risk.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #7
Old Engineer

Use a rasp to taper the inside edge of the pipe so there is no corner.

No more problem.

Easier to do it before you glue it together than to deal with the problem later.

FleckDreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:24 PM   #8

As per your pictures, the grey waste ABS pipe that you have on your RV looks like the one I have for my central vacuum system in my stick and brick house: thinwall ABS.

Before proceeding with the replacement with regular ABS(from big boxes) check if the fittings (elbows, unions..) are «fitting» adequately.

Good luck !
Old 01-30-2020, 10:09 AM   #9

Or maybe use a fitting that's over the old pipe and inside the new on the upstream side. If there is such a thing.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #10

Thanks for all the input!

ACE Mobile RV Repair took care of it for me yesterday. There was nearly a month wait but well worth it. I had to order a 10' ABS Pipe through Ace Hardware and the ABS Pipe Cement through Lowes online..no one has ANY of this stuff here in Brevard County Florida. The fittings and a 2' section I had to order through Amazon...all the extras I sent with ACE Mobile Repair for the next person who might need it. Thanks again for the help and reassurance.

Tags
grey water, water