Old 02-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #1

Adding water to a Heritage Glenn

We bought a new Heritage Glenn a year ago, and had it parked on a permanent site, until this year. We want to travel to different campgrounds this year, but we don't know how to add water when at a site with no water hookup. We don't have the usual plastic cap on the water inlet, but just a city water nozzle fitting on the water tank and one on the city water hookup. Do I need an adapter to fill it with a water jug? Thanks in advance for any advice.

moterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #2

Are you saying that you will be staying long enough to use a full fresh water tank? And need to refill the tank at your site? As you are on a permanent site, have you ever filled the fresh water tank?

keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #3

Yes, we will be staying for longer periods, and can have a full water tank on arrival. The problem is that i'm not sure how to refill the tank with a water jug and syphen hose, like all of the trailers I've owned in the past.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #4

I have not had to fill this way but have read that others will use a short piece of water hose attached to the trailer fill port. Then a 12 volt pump to pump from your jug into the short hose
keith52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

same

I have the same problem as most areas where I camp don't have water hook ups at each site, but in various areas around campground. I ordered a 12 volt pump that I will use. It will maybe take several trips as my water container that I will fill at the water outlet is only 7 gallons and trailer holds 53 gallons, but they put the hose hook up on the trailers for some reason rather than the outlet to just stick the hose in or pour water in a container into. Maybe it was for safety reasons, to keep anyone from pouring something into tank when owner is away, but in 30 some years of camping that has never happened to anyone as far as I know. Would prefer the old way myself. Went to Camping World and the guy didn't seem to even understand what I was talking about when I asked if there was a pump to use for the purpose. Pumps are available at Home Depot.
dmlranhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #6

Thank you very much for your help, I'll be making a trip to Home Depot.in the near future.You guys are the best!!!
Old 02-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #7

You say you have a "city water nozzle fitting on the water tank." So why can't you just disconnect the hose you've been using for city water and attach it to the nozzle for the tank?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
You say you have a "city water nozzle fitting on the water tank." So why can't you just disconnect the hose you've been using for city water and attach it to the nozzle for the tank?
They can... IF they are somewhere where there is city water.
The OP is asking about filling the tank via gravity, out of a jug or somewhere where there is no pressurized city water connection.

I don't know if the OP has a winterization port for adding antifreeze but what I do is get a short piece of potable hose, switch the winterization valve at the pump to draw from the winterization port instead of the fresh water tank, attach the hose, insert in jug and draw from there.

We often carry 2-3 extra jugs of fresh water when we boondock and once the fresh tank is empty, we simply draw from the 5 gallon jugs.

Someday I'll add an additional potable water tank to the truck bed and do the same only draw from it.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:04 PM   #9

Another good idea,thanks
Old 02-14-2017, 01:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
They can... IF they are somewhere where there is city water.
The OP is asking about filling the tank via gravity, out of a jug or somewhere where there is no pressurized city water connection.

I don't know if the OP has a winterization port for adding antifreeze but what I do is get a short piece of potable hose, switch the winterization valve at the pump to draw from the winterization port instead of the fresh water tank, attach the hose, insert in jug and draw from there.

We often carry 2-3 extra jugs of fresh water when we boondock and once the fresh tank is empty, we simply draw from the 5 gallon jugs.

Someday I'll add an additional potable water tank to the truck bed and do the same only draw from it.
Oops. I missed that piece.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #11

We have a 302FK hemisphere, my solution was to buy another water pump exactly the same as in the TT, works as a backup if ever needed but mostly to fill the fresh tank from jugs. Those pumps are rated for potable water other pumps not so much though many people use them for that purpose.
Bear fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #12

I wired my pump with a 7 pin plug so I can plug it into the truck sit the pump on the tailgate and empty my jugs into the fresh water tsnk
Bear fans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:43 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by moterhead View Post
Another good idea,thanks
You are most welcome!

The on-board pump doesn't care whether the water it pumps comes from the fresh water tank or some other source. With the winterization port and selector valve already in place on most newer rigs, it's really simple to draw from there when the fresh tank gets empty.

I've read where some folks do this and then use their outside shower (unscrew the head) to fill the fresh water tank. If you did this you could save from having to switch jugs when empty but then you are pumping it twice. (once into the fresh tank and then back out when you use it) I'd rather save my battery power when boondocking by only pumping once.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:15 AM   #14
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You are most welcome!

The on-board pump doesn't care whether the water it pumps comes from the fresh water tank or some other source. With the winterization port and selector valve already in place on most newer rigs, it's really simple to draw from there when the fresh tank gets empty.

I've read where some folks do this and then use their outside shower (unscrew the head) to fill the fresh water tank. If you did this you could save from having to switch jugs when empty but then you are pumping it twice. (once into the fresh tank and then back out when you use it) I'd rather save my battery power when boondocking by only pumping once.

I do this when hooked to electric. I never thought about the double pumping + battery use - that's a real good point. Works a treat if you don't have to worry about that.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #15

I have a separate RV pump which I use to pump from a portable tank but also use it under the sink island when I am winterized to have running water at the sink only. I siphon from a portable tank (6 gal.) stored under the sink island and will have cold water only. When done camping, I siphon rv antifreeze and drain the gray tank and am back winterized. To do this you must have a cold water shutoff to the rest of the camper...easy mod.

We also heat water on stove top and use a portable pump (battery operated Zodi) to take a shower. When finished, pour a little antifreeze down the shower drain and after dumping the gray tank, you are back winterized. We use a porta-pottie (Thetford Curve) for our black tank needs which is better not to deal with the black tank when below freezing.

With this system, our camper is always ready to camp even when winterized. We've been using this setup for over 10 years on three different campers.

2017 Salem Hemisphere 326RL
2009 Chevy Silveraldo 2500
meandmylabs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water