Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #1

Air in system when water heater used?

Hey all, new here, new to campers! so lets get started!

Water system pressurizes great when i have the hot water heater isolated but as soon as open the valves to the water heater i get an endless supply of air in my lines, cold and hot. It will stay like that forever and the pump has to run constantly. I do not appear to be leaking water anywhere.

Im new to campers so i am following the steps the salesperson told me when I bought it. If im doing it wrong, let me know!
  1. Install drain plug anode rod.
  2. pressurize water system
  3. open valves to hot water tank
  4. open faucets to relieve air pockets

Camper is a 2011 Grey Wolf Patriot 25BH
LifeLessLived17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #2

What about the hot water tank pressure relief valve?
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

Is the tank actually full of water... Slowly, again, SLOWLY, pop the relief valve and see if you get water or air.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #4

I have slowly released pressure through the t&p valve and I am sure there is water in the tank. we have actually used the heater and had some hot water, but the air and lack of consistent pressure is enough that i have shut the valves to it the last two trips out and not bothered aside from trying to trouble shoot it. Have a week long trip coming up and the wife wants it fixed.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Not that it may matter.. But when you said valves to heater, that is the winterizing valves? And it is Only the hot side? Not cold as well,on the pump.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #6

yes, the problem only exists when i allow water to travel to the heater by opening the winterizing valves. Problem exists whether crossover valve is open or closed.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Ok, so NOT the heater then, something in the plumbing on the hot side.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #8

Wouldnt it leak rather than suck air though? I hadnt considered the rest of the hot water plumbing. Maybe i can isolate the individual sections and see if i can find where the air is coming in from?
Old 06-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

I would think so.. I know on my pump between the fresh tank and pump is where my anti freeze valve is. It's a three way ball valve, if I do not use Teflon tape on the AF side it will suck air in through the cap and valve. But it does not leak water.. Under vacuum it leaks air in though.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeLessLived17 View Post
Hey all, new here, new to campers! so lets get started!

Water system pressurizes great when i have the hot water heater isolated but as soon as open the valves to the water heater i get an endless supply of air in my lines, cold and hot. It will stay like that forever and the pump has to run constantly. I do not appear to be leaking water anywhere.

Im new to campers so i am following the steps the salesperson told me when I bought it. If im doing it wrong, let me know!
  1. Install drain plug anode rod.
  2. pressurize water system
  3. open valves to hot water tank
  4. open faucets to relieve air pockets

Camper is a 2011 Grey Wolf Patriot 25BH
Sounds like pump or filter has a Crack in it and pulling air into system, leak would only show in lines from pump forward so a fitting or something is allowing air into the system on the suction side.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #11

air in water lines

You may want to check the valve in your city water hook up right under the pop out screen. to check it hook your hose to city water and see if you still get air in the system, Valve may allow air past it
Paynediaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:02 PM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

I think he is only getting this when flowing hot water thought... Not necessarily HOT water but through those lines. Could be wrong.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 06-05-2016, 03:09 PM   #13
SRN

Might not be related, but this spring I also had the problem of the pump running constantly with a lot of air in the system, both hot & cold. Finally traced the problem to the hose you stick in the jug of RV antifreeze to suck the antifreeze into the lines for winterizing. That line has a shut off not far up from the hose end. Found it was open. All the pump was doing was sucking air into the open hose. The shut-off was hard to see without sticking my head into the cabinet.
SRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #14

air is coming from somewhere why not hook up a hose and maybe eliminate one source should only take a min. to check
Paynediaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:56 AM   #15

I too have air in the lines. Occasionally, pump will run if toilet is flushed quick and a quick hand wash. Have been camping for 6 days, still have air in lines when running cold and hot water. No leaks any where that I can see. It is annoying to me. Lol. Fresh tank has been filled a few times. Tanks have been drained a few times.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #16

Air from the hot water tank is pretty normal for a short time after connecting to city water. I normally run hot on the outside shower until all the air is out of the hot water tank. It can take a minute or two with the faucet wide open to purge the air.

If you have the issue after purging the air while on city water using only your water tank and pump then you have an air leak between the pump and the fresh tank. Possibly the nipple on the in of the pump or the hose.
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water