Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2023, 11:00 PM   #1

another leaking city water inlet Q

Have a drip from the city water inlet just behind the hose connector. No leak inside the trailer. See pics. Watched all the U-tube videos I could find, but none seem to address the type of leak I have. Nor does it appears that I can get to the inside hose-to-inlet connection without sawing away the plywood backing for the drawers. Access panel is too far to the left, under stove, and too small to reach in to the hose connection from there. Think maybe I don't need to, if all I need is a gasket or washer that could be installed from the outside of the trailer.

Advice and/or instructions, please. Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2606.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	287084   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2608.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	287085  

"If something can go wrong, it will -
but not if you're prepared." Murphy's Corollary
IamJean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 05:26 PM   #2
Open Space Wanted

Had a similar issue and wound up replacing the leaking connector with a hardware store part. Probably had a crack I couldn't see.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ue-236993.html
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 09:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJean2 View Post
Have a drip from the city water inlet just behind the hose connector. No leak inside the trailer. See pics. Watched all the U-tube videos I could find, but none seem to address the type of leak I have. Nor does it appears that I can get to the inside hose-to-inlet connection without sawing away the plywood backing for the drawers. Access panel is too far to the left, under stove, and too small to reach in to the hose connection from there. Think maybe I don't need to, if all I need is a gasket or washer that could be installed from the outside of the trailer.

Advice and/or instructions, please. Thank you in advance.
You might not need to get behind it to replace it.

I replaced both my city and fw tank fill water inlets a couple years ago on my MH and they just screw in male into female connector. I think I wrapped the brass connector with plumbers tape. Both inlets used the same part # and had built in check valves which do leak eventually.

But, the inlets I used had flanges on them with 3 screw holes into the sidewall (and butly tape under the flanges)

I browsed Amazon for water inlets and the RecPro model looks similar to yours at least the outside connector ring.

Is there a cover on the outside behind the inlet hiding a flange? I can't tell from the picture, which is a good close up btw.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:20 AM   #4

I looked at the closeup of the outside of the inlet, more magnified.

It appears your inlet has a flange behind the hose connector ring.

Rotate the ring and look for screws on a flange. If you see screws remove them then grip the flange or water inlet and unscrew it. Using a vice grip or pliers covered with a thin cloth will help in preventing scratches to the panel behind it.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:38 AM   #5

I ended up using a plastic hose plug that screws into the fitting just as the city water hose would screw in. Make sure there is a rubber washer inside to assure the seal. That stopped the leak. The cap supplied only keeps out bugs etc.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 02:30 PM   #6

right part?

Thank you all for helping with this. There are no screws in the city water port just behind the inlet. Looks to be just a black seal. I've put up a pic of the gravity/city water connections. Am I correct in thinking that I need to replace both inlets, that the second pic attached is the kind of replacement I need?
Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2614.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	287226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 12.17.21 PM.png
Views:	23
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	287227  

Old 05-15-2023, 02:58 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thank you all for helping with this. There are no screws in the city water port just behind the inlet. Looks to be just a black seal. I've put up a pic of the gravity/city water connections. Am I correct in thinking that I need to replace both inlets, that the second pic attached is the kind of replacement I need?
Thanks again!
Have you removed the screws from the port assembly, pulled it loose from the R/V and looked behind it?
It is possible once loose, there may be enough slack in the lines to see if a fitting is loose on the back side or possibly a leaking crimp connection. If the hose connection port/plastic is cracked/broken, you are going to have to take it off anyway for replacement, just as you have described with the picture of a new one. You'll probably need some butyl tape for sealing the flange area of the port assembly to the side of the R/V.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 05:02 PM   #8

Quote:

Thanks again!
I see now it's an assembly vs individual water inlet ports.

Amazon has at least one in white which shows relief and detail better plus a picture of the other side.

With your assembly it seems you have no choice but to replace both but I don't see that as a drawback unless there's some unexpected obstacles.

It's different than the individual water inlets that i have, both of which have incorporated in them check valves.

As 5Picker suggested, unscrew the assembly and proceed with his assessment

I would expect there to be hose clamps of some type which clamp onto the nipples of the assemnly to make a water tight connection. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230515_164959_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	287232Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230515_165005_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	287233
Old 05-17-2023, 11:08 AM   #9

I did as 5Picker suggested and took the assembly loose to inspect the back side. Could not see anything that could cause the leak, so connected a hose. Water definitely leaking from the outside front, between the screw part and the rubber grommet right behind it. Everything behind the assembly watertight. So I have ordered a new assembly & some butyl tape. Learning new things I've never wanted to. I appreciate everyone's help!

Old 05-17-2023, 02:34 PM   #10

Good job. You probably saved $200 or more by doing it yourself

The way I look at is to do as much as you can yourself to pay for times you can't.
Old 05-17-2023, 02:49 PM   #11

First thing I would do is to put a new washer/filter in your fitting, or remove the current washer/filter and stack a regular hose washer behind it. I find that these washers loose elasticity (take a "set") and the hose threads bottom out before the washer is sufficiently compressed.

Water can leak out the back through the joint where the spinning part mates with the pipe fitting if there isn't enough compression.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 03:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParise View Post
Good job. You probably saved $200 or more by doing it yourself

The way I look at is to do as much as you can yourself to pay for times you can't.
Doing it yourself is a learning experience. Just proceed with caution, take pictures as one goes along so that they can reverse the process. The end result, you know more about how things work, and where things are located and you save money.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 07:32 PM   #13

Fixed!

First thing I would do is to put a new washer/filter in your fitting, or remove the current washer/filter and stack a regular hose washer behind it. I find that these washers loose elasticity (take a "set") and the hose threads bottom out before the washer is sufficiently compressed.

I tried Larry-NC's suggestion & put in a new hose washer with screen, that I already had on hand, and that fixed the leak. I'm glad I can return the new combo fill & city water plate, since it is really cheap compared to the original. Also really glad I didn't have to disconnect the hoses and risk not getting them back on again watertight.

Thank you all!

Old 05-20-2023, 08:21 AM   #14

Great!

Quote:

I tried Larry-NC's suggestion & put in a new hose washer with screen, that I already had on hand, and that fixed the leak. I'm glad I can return the new combo fill & city water plate, since it is really cheap compared to the original. Also really glad I didn't have to disconnect the hoses and risk not getting them back on again watertight.

Thank you all!
Jean, that's good news. I keep bunches of hose washers handy. It seems like they lose their elasticity in a year. This year when I hooked up (five connections), I had to replace or add a washer at every one. I'm getting into the habit of using two washers everywhere.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 09:22 AM   #15

Great to hear that's all it was!

Happy rving!
Old 05-20-2023, 10:43 AM   #16
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Thanks for giving us how the problem was solved always glade for a good and cheap out come. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 10:43 PM   #17

Suggestion that you may already do.

Get a brass 90 degree elbow for the fitting to save your inlet and hose. Leave it on with a plug in it.

Easier to attach, less chance of cross threading it and ruining your inlet coupling.

I sometimes have to double up on hose washers to get a good seal.

garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 10:43 PM   #18

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CAMCO-5-8-i...n-Hose/3403170
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
city water, leak, water