Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2024, 10:08 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
I've used Brass Sharkbites on my rental house and the cheap plastic imitation ones for years on our houseboat. I trust them more than the Pex fittings.

Pex is ideal for RVs because it can freeze and not break. It is almost always the connections or valves that break from freezing.

Brass can freeze and break.

Haven't ever had much experience with the Pex tubing so I wasn't aware that it could freeze and not break. The connections are almost always the weak point.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 11:59 AM   #42

Has anyone heard of Flair-It products? Reason I ask is I have seen in some RVs the manufacturers are mixing Pex with Flexible Vinyl Braided tubing. The two don't work together. Flexible Tubing swells and they are using Pex clamps on them which is the reason they are start to leak. I watch a video on youtube by a General Contractor / RV Tech guy, he recommends if you aren't able to re-run proper pex tubing where the flexible tubing is to replace it with Flair-It fittings.
JoshB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 12:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Has anyone heard of Flair-It products? Reason I ask is I have seen in some RVs the manufacturers are mixing Pex with Flexible Vinyl Braided tubing. The two don't work together. Flexible Tubing swells and they are using Pex clamps on them which is the reason they are start to leak. I watch a video on youtube by a General Contractor / RV Tech guy, he recommends if you aren't able to re-run proper pex tubing where the flexible tubing is to replace it with Flair-It fittings.

I have not heard it it but might look. I have a slight seep on my pull-out outdoor kitchen sink that is a pex fitting mixed with the braided vinyl.
Old 06-11-2024, 02:07 PM   #44

Huh?

Quote:
Huh? The first minute of the video I watched showed them using the Flair-It fittings only on PEX. They looked very similar to the that were originally made by Shark-Bite, and now sold under several other trade names.

They rely on a good O-ring seal around a smooth tubing outer surface. (Instructions even warn about this.) The flexible tubing with the embedded Nylon string doesn't seem to have such a surface. I and others have reported that worm clamps seem to do a good job of sealing these connections. Have you had a bad experience with them?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 02:25 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Huh? The first minute of the video I watched showed them using the Flair-It fittings only on PEX. They looked very similar to the that were originally made by Shark-Bite, and now sold under several other trade names.

They rely on a good O-ring seal around a smooth tubing outer surface. (Instructions even warn about this.) The flexible tubing with the embedded Nylon string doesn't seem to have such a surface. I and others have reported that worm clamps seem to do a good job of sealing these connections. Have you had a bad experience with them?
I personally haven't but it's something I am looking into. I am really curious about Shark-Bite products. If anyone has had one fail or not. The Shark-Bite looks like it is easier work with. I have read in places that the knock offs are crap so buyer beware.

As for the Flair-It product they make an adapter for you to be able to combine Flex Tubing with Pex on a single fitting. However I don't know much about the quality.
Old 06-11-2024, 02:42 PM   #46

I replaced ALL of the nylon/plastic connectors with Shark-Bite connectors. I've found them much easier to work with and certainly more reliable. The pixs show a few applications.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	363.5 KB
ID:	300836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sharkbite to FIP.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	300837   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1196.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	384.7 KB
ID:	300838  
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 08:42 AM   #47

Quote:
I personally haven't but it's something I am looking into. I am really curious about Shark-Bite products. If anyone has had one fail or not. The Shark-Bite looks like it is easier work with. I have read in places that the knock offs are crap so buyer beware.

As for the Flair-It product they make an adapter for you to be able to combine Flex Tubing with Pex on a single fitting. However I don't know much about the quality.
I have had Shark-Bite fail - but always on initial installation. In one case (underground on my sprinkler system), I excessively rotated and yanked and banked on a Shark-Bite connection which ended up leaking. Replaced with a new Shark-Bite with no issues. After verifying no leaks, did the underground seal of the Shark-Bite. Still working, no leaks 5 years later.

Shark-Bite either works or it doesn't - immediately. Getting clean, square cuts on the tubing is critical, as is complete insertion. My success rate went up dramatically after squaring and polishing cut ends on copper in particular.

just my experiences
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 09:06 AM   #48

Never had a fail, even where they had been removed properly and re-installed.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:19 AM   #49

I always use a tubing cutter on PEX to ensure a clean and perfectly square end to which the Shark-Bite is attached.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tubing Cutter.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	300880  
Old 06-12-2024, 09:34 AM   #50

EVOPex

So I was looking at the Shark-Bite website. They make these fittings that only work with Pex tubing. They show a green marker on them once the tube has been fully inserted. Has anyone used these?
Old 06-12-2024, 09:45 AM   #51

Quote:
So I was looking at the Shark-Bite website. They make these fittings that only work with Pex tubing. They show a green marker on them once the tube has been fully inserted. Has anyone used these?
Green marker? Don't know about that. See the pictures I posted where I used several Shark-Bite fittings on different PEX applications. I have a total of 12 Shark-Bite fittings installed in various locations in our trailer. As one can see, I used braided flexible lines between the Shark-bite on the PEX connected to the fixture. This is the same method used in residential applications.

I'd say if you desire to use Shark-Bite fittings on other non-PEX applications, ......good luck.

Don't fall for less the expensive Shark-Bite looking fittings. And if the guy at the store says "They are the same". Keep your money in your pocket and run for the door.

Bob
Old 06-13-2024, 08:56 AM   #52

The Lowe's ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Green marker? Don't know about that. See the pictures I posted where I used several Shark-Bite fittings on different PEX applications. I have a total of 12 Shark-Bite fittings installed in various locations in our trailer. As one can see, I used braided flexible lines between the Shark-bite on the PEX connected to the fixture. This is the same method used in residential applications.

I'd say if you desire to use Shark-Bite fittings on other non-PEX applications, ......good luck.

Don't fall for less the expensive Shark-Bite looking fittings. And if the guy at the store says "They are the same". Keep your money in your pocket and run for the door.

Bob
The Lowe's ones ("Blue" something-or-other) seem to be okay. They actually mark them as "Blue whatever Shark Bite" so they might actually be the real thing.

The shears sold for the purpose actually work quite well and the cuts are reasonably square. They don't have to be precision cuts--just square enough that the internal O-ring is penetrated by full-diameter tubing.

Have you ever wondered whether the tubing cutter rollers mar the PVC so it might not seal perfectly?
Old 06-13-2024, 11:48 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
The Lowe's ones ("Blue" something-or-other) seem to be okay. They actually mark them as "Blue whatever Shark Bite" so they might actually be the real thing.

The shears sold for the purpose actually work quite well and the cuts are reasonably square. They don't have to be precision cuts--just square enough that the internal O-ring is penetrated by full-diameter tubing.

Have you ever wondered whether the tubing cutter rollers mar the PVC so it might not seal perfectly?
When using tubing roller-type cutters, one has to be mindful and not apply too much pressure thus damaging the tubing in any way. I see it no more likely to damage or crush the PEX than the shears sold for the purpose. I use the roller cutters on copper and PVC and a few other tubing cutting needs.

Bob
Old 06-13-2024, 02:02 PM   #54

was actually wondering if the roller cutter would even work on Pex

I bought the 'snip style' cutter it works good
just be careful to push the tube to the stop to get it square
take your time

even used snip for PVC pipes

If you really concerned... they have the thick walled stiff plastic pipe you can use on sharkbites instead of the blue/red floppy PEX
Can't think of the name but it is all major hardware stores next to the pex

Tags
question