Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2021, 01:23 PM   #21
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgandw View Post
If the tank is full, it doesn't slosh. I always start off with a full water tank so I don't have to fill when I arrive at the campground. And I have city water from my house.

Most places I camp do not have water hookups at every site, so if I don't have a full tank, I have to find a water source on the way in. Not always a given in Colorado/Utah/Wyoming outside of the summer season. A lot of water sources get shut down Oct - May. Last summer, thanks to Covid, a lot of Forest Service campgrounds did not get their water tested in time for the season. So spigots were shut down for much of the summer. And I've run into issues with campgrounds having to limit/turn off water in a dry year.

Weight of the water is not a factor on towing unless you are going upgrade. You might be eating into your cargo capacity, though. As for buckling the supports, I check them once a year. If they are bending and need reinforcement, I'll do that.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
I agree with Fred.
You simply never know what the circumstances can be.
If I can take my own water, why wouldn't I?

I have been to several campgrounds where they had water or pump issues and no water was available. None to fill campers and none for the bath houses. We were able to continue on as if nothing happened because it hadn't!

Also, many say they will fill when they reach their destination or get close to their destination. Well... what if you have trouble and never reach your destination? Traveling with my Uncle once, he had truck troubles about 3 hours into a 7-8 hour trip. We wound up spending the night in the repair facility parking lot. I had a full tank of water, he had none thinking he would fill up at the destination. He sure was happy when I pumped a few gallons of our water into his rig so they could at least use their bathroom.

For those concerned about the reduced fuel mileage or extra weight... you have the wrong rig. If you are that close to your weight limit towing a R/V with empty tanks, then you purchased incorrectly.

If your brackets that hold the tank are not of the correct type to haul full water tanks then reinforce them. The entire premise of a R/V is to be mobile unless you just want to remain stationary.

The weight of a full water tank will have a miniscule effect on fuel mileage.
And then you have those that won't travel with a full fresh tank because it is 30 gallons of weight @ 8.33 LB/GAL but then say they take a half dozen 5 gallon jugs of water... wait... what?

Do you worry when you fill your fuel tank(s) that you'll be carrying 35 gallons of too much weight? Do you get exceptional fuel mileage when the tank is nearly empty and then dismal fuel mileage when you fill it up?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I often try to but some things you just can't unsee! [emoji16][emoji85][emoji2962]
Okay guys I caught my mistake.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwsjr View Post
thx very much. ya, i forgot about the black tank issue around not having enough water to keep things moistened up vs. hardening up. Al
Take a look into the "geo method"
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed01 View Post
Almost all of our trips over the last 20 years and a dozen different camper; have been on gravel or forest service roads. I have always carried a full tank and never had an issue. For those folks that worry about the straps, what do you do for your full grey and black tanks on the way home?
dump em
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 08:29 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portagie1968 View Post
We carry a one gallon container in the shower. Use that to refill the toilet if we need to use it. In 14 years of travel we only needed to use it once. So I will keep using the gallon in the shower for now. Add a extra gallon if I think we need it. Toilet is always preped for use when we leave home but not on the return trip.
Why wouldn't you just leave some water in your tank?????
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #26

We do not drink water from the FW tank at any time....just bottled water!!!! Also we fill a gallon jug of water before we leave in the am to add to toilet as needed.Kept in bathroom shower or sink....FW tank brackets could break on the road...WHAT A PROBLEM THAT WOULD BE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BE SAFE!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:36 PM   #27

If I am going to a camp that does not have full hookups, I fill my 105 gallon tank and 10 gal hot water heater at home before I leave. I have never experienced a problem traveling with full tanks...even with my 1000 pound Harley in the garage of my toy hauler. I have been doing this for 6+ years and thousands of mile with my current rig.

If my destination has full hookups...I put a 2 litre bottle filled with water under the sink. I fill the toilet bowl halfway before traveling...and refill after a flush with the bottle if we use the potty along the way. I prefer to use my own bathroom rather than the rest stop ones along the way.

By the way....if you sanitize your system properly and use dedicated clean drinking water safe hoses to fill, there is no reason why you cannot drink the water from the on-board tank. We typically bring bottled water, but we make coffee , meals, etc. with on-board water.
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #28

Why travel with 350-400 lbs of extra weight around for no reason? Most places have water, and unless your rig gets better gas mileage than you need, you are wasting fuel, all be it a small amount, but over many trips add up. The toilet only takes a small amount to flush, so only a couple of gallons is really all that is needed.
If you feel the need to carry any amount of water, it is a good idea to keep the pump switched off while traveling. If a tap is left on even a bit, your good idea of leaving water in the tank will be down the drain, and your pump could be running dry for long periods of time, and shorten its life.
Not as much an issue in a motorhome as usually you can see the lighted switch for the pump.
My opinion, of course,but it works for us with no issues
Celticrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:56 PM   #29
jkoenig24

"I plan to leave a couple gallons of water in fresh water tank when traveling"

You might want to travel with more Tham "a couple of gallons",

Over the years, I've arrived at several campgrounds / RV parks where they were experiencing "water issues" resulting in NO water being available for a day or two. It doesn't happen often BUT, when it does, it's a REAL downer.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:19 PM   #30

When I get to a campsite, I want to set up right away...not go looking for the community spigot and hang there forever to fill 115 gallons of often questionable quality water. Hauling filled tanks barely makes a difference in my fuel economy....and if I was concerned with a mile or two mpg...I wouldn't be driving an HD diesel pickup towing 15K anyway. We all have our individual preferences...
RockyMtnMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:13 PM   #31

Just fill your tank and don't worry about it

I also agree with Fred. I always fill the water heater and the fresh water tank before leaving. Am on my 4th camper and have never had a problem. I always have the water from home with me. If you sanitize your tank, there is no reason not to drink or cook with the water from home. The extra weight isn't going to affect your mileage to any significant amount, and I've never had any problem with the weight of a full FW tank as far as supports go. I think many make a mountain out of a molehill as far as this topic is concerned. It's always "what if" something happens... Likely it's not going to. Just enjoy your trip.
V8s4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:45 PM   #32
Scoundrel

I'll just mention also for the OP.... while traveling we shut off the water pump while traveling between stops just in case a plumbing fitting were to spring a leak enroute.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:29 AM   #33

I have traveled with a full tank of water over 50 years with over a dozen RVs and never had a tank issue. If you do it is an unsatisfactory build and you should return it.

I rarely camp where water hook ups are available.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:32 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticrider View Post
Why travel with 350-400 lbs of extra weight around for no reason? Most places have water, and unless your rig gets better gas mileage than you need, you are wasting fuel, all be it a small amount, but over many trips add up. The toilet only takes a small amount to flush, so only a couple of gallons is really all that is needed.
If you feel the need to carry any amount of water, it is a good idea to keep the pump switched off while traveling. If a tap is left on even a bit, your good idea of leaving water in the tank will be down the drain, and your pump could be running dry for long periods of time, and shorten its life.
Not as much an issue in a motorhome as usually you can see the lighted switch for the pump.
Nonsense assumptions. No effect on mpg. Most places I camp do not have water at campsites.
Old 03-09-2021, 02:00 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celticrider View Post
Have traveled with full FW tank for 25 years, with 4 different RVs. We dry camp a lot and my home water is better than most campground water. I use that up before I have to shuttle campground water. And out West, water often isn't often available at each campsite.

Frontal air resistance affects fuel mileage WAY more than a full FW tank. The extra weight of water affects fuel mileage very little.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:53 AM   #36

��
alwsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:04 AM   #37
RCAF VET

Water Jugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwsjr View Post
I plan to leave a couple gallons of water in fresh water tank when traveling just so we can use toilet while on the road. Assume that after flushing toilet the water pump will transfer water from fresh water tank to refill toilet for subsequent flushes while on the road, yes? Al
If travelling in warm weather no problem. We keep a couple of water jugs in the shower/tub while travelling to flush toilet and heat water to wash. Keeping water in fresh water tank when it is many degrees below zero plus windchill factor could freeze the tank and damage it.
2011 Super Duty F-250
2015 Crusader 294 RLT
bazou7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:57 AM   #38
Going Solo

Carry a jug of water! I carry less than 5 gallons of water. WEIGHT! Water is about 7 lbs per gallon. A one gallon jug of water, set by the toilet works just fine. Pour and rinse/flush. :>}
tjwdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:19 AM   #39
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazou7101 View Post
If travelling in warm weather no problem. We keep a couple of water jugs in the shower/tub while travelling to flush toilet and heat water to wash. Keeping water in fresh water tank when it is many degrees below zero plus windchill factor could freeze the tank and damage it.
Below freezing temperatures... yes... it can freeze water in a tank but I don't believe this thread was about towing with a full fresh tank in sub-freezing conditions.

Windchill... no... windchill does not affect inanimate objects.
While wind blowing across something can cool it down to ambient temperature quicker, it cannot cool it BELOW ambient temperature. (unless there is a built in venturi effect in place)

I certainly feel bad for those believing the weight of a full, fresh water tank creates such poor fuel mileage for them. I wish your towing experiences weren't so on the edge.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:33 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwdj View Post
Carry a jug of water! I carry less than 5 gallons of water. WEIGHT! Water is about 7 lbs per gallon. A one gallon jug of water, set by the toilet works just fine. Pour and rinse/flush. :>}

weight of water/gallon ==> 8.345 lb

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump