Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #41

Not to worried about bugs but I have heard stories of people leaving there valves open and rodents getting in the tanks.
Joe M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:28 PM   #42

Ugh. Putting rv anti-freeze in your rv is a no brainer. Easiest way to winterize your camper. It is not harmful like regular ant-freeze.
Rwbenthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #43
Senior Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1 View Post
I know RV antifreeze is cheap but last spring when I dewinterized my TT I drained the antifreeze from my fresh tank back into the bottles the antifreeze came in. I got back about 4 1/2 of the 6 gallons I started with SO, does anybody see any problems with reusing last years antifreeze again?
I believe I read in Trailer Life Magazine that you don't put antifreeze in the fresh water tank mainly because it is made out of a different type of plastic than your water lines which do not absorb the odour of anti-freeze where the plastic in the tank does. Besides it would take a lot more anti-freeze. I live in a cold weather climate and have always just drained the fresh water tank and leave the valve open for awhile preferably when I have some driving yet to do. I just isolate the HWT and blow everything out including the low drain lines with air. I then suck antifreeze into all my lines, outdoor shower, toilet and toilet sprayer and pour anti-freeze down each drain. Afterwards I open the black and grey water valves to remove any water and water-antifreeze mixture. This has served me well each year for the last 30 years plus twice a year when we take the unit out to go to Arizona returning again in freezing conditions in March.
Old 10-05-2020, 09:06 PM   #44

The people that put the rv antifreeze in their fresh water tank either don't know how to use their antifreeze inlet or don't know how to very easily add one.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:32 PM   #45

Reusing anti-freeze

Quote:
I know RV antifreeze is cheap but last spring when I dewinterized my TT I drained the antifreeze from my fresh tank back into the bottles the antifreeze came in. I got back about 4 1/2 of the 6 gallons I started with SO, does anybody see any problems with reusing last years antifreeze again?
My husband always saves the anti-freeze and reuses it. He occasionally will buy a new gallon to use in the winter. We've never had any issues with doing that.
desuhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 11:01 PM   #46

I'm still stuck on why? As has been repeatedly noted, RV antifreeze is cheap. I'm guessing that if you own even a small popup the cost of a couple of gallons is not going to prevent the kids from eating. On the other hand, the time and effort that has to go into collecting the stuff when you dewinterize is not insubstantial, especially compared to the relatively minimal of just filling the FW tank with water and opening taps. low point drains and showers to flush it out. I really don't get it.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #47

No one has told the OP how to do it right!

There should be a three way valve at the suction of your pump with a couple of feet of hose. After draining and bypassing HWH, turn on pump, stick that hose in a gallon and go around to hot and cold at each sink, shower, outside shower head, and toilet and open till you see antifreeze. Should use about 1 1/2 gal.

If you don’t have the three way valve and hose install one.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post

There should be a three way valve at the suction of your pump with a couple of feet of hose. After draining and bypassing HWH, turn on pump, stick that hose in a gallon and go around to hot and cold at each sink, shower, outside shower head, and toilet and open till you see antifreeze. Should use about 1 1/2 gal.

Do what right?

OP wasn't asking how to winterize...
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #49

Robert and Yvette

Quote:

There is an easy way to test the antifreeze for reuse as long as it is still clean. you can buy a squeeze bulb tester to see if the product still has the protection as sold. The tester tells you the degrees on the side of the tester. Is the product still slick and smells like a strong concentration.
Robert Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #50

Quote:
For all of you knocking antifreeze in the fresh tank (which is non toxic and biodegradable), I have done it like this guy says for 3 years. I have had zero freeze issues in northern Ohio. A couple of springtime flushes eliminate any taste but we also minimize our use of the fresh tank for drinking water. I am amazed how many people drink whatever comes out of any campground source they happen to fill with. This video made the antifreeze only option easy.

https://youtu.be/AuCdZTLiWLs
I don't agree with using the fresh water tank for antifreeze, but to each his own...

However, the guy in the video forgot to get antifreeze into the city water connection. Need to pop the check valve at the city water connection with the pump running to get pink into the line.
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:00 PM   #51
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post

And unfortunately, neither did you.

First... not every R/V has a factory installed antifreeze port.
For those folks, they either put antifreeze in the fresh tank or as many have pointed out, they certainly can easily install an aftermarket antifreeze ingestion device or use a hand pump.

Post #1 from the OP never says anything about the type of system they have so you made some assumptions that theirs was the same as yours. You also didn't address the low point drains or the washer/ice maker lines. (if equipped)

Second, I don't know about the valve on YOUR R/V but mine does NOT have a 3 WAY valve. Mine has a 2 WAY valve that selects between the fresh tank or the antifreeze port. While it has three barbs on it for hoses, it is a 2 WAY valve and only turns to two positions. Assuming everyone has a 3 way valve isn't good either. (if in fact you have a 3 way valve)

As Scott (NMWildcat) so eloquently pointed out... everyone has THEIR way of doing things. Is that way the ONLY way and right for everyone? One must decide for themselves.

Folks come here asking for opinions. I usually give mine and if you want to use that information to help make a decision, so be it. If you don't, that's OK too.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:28 PM   #52
Newbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royston View Post
I use RV antifreeze but only in the drains. I drain all the lines and HWH first then blow them out using compressed air (40 psi). Once drained I put RV antifreeze in each drain, in the washer (I run the drain setting a few times). I don't have the water on to my ice maker so don't have to worry about that.
If your not putting antifreeze in the lines that you might drink from, why bother using antifreeze in the drains? You can use windshield washer antifreeze in the drains.... Who cares because your not going to drink from the sewer!
Sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #53

When we bought our camper it had been sitting for 6 years. We live in New England=cold winters.

I got it home and opened the tank drains. Antifreeze came out, though it appeared to be a little diluted.

But....there were no split pipes or leaks anywhere. So, I guess it had kept on working.

I don't reuse it, but I'll bet you could.

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:13 AM   #54

Propylene Glycol does not support microbial growth--but it will get diluted and increase the freeze point.

Never have more dogs than you have windows.

rottnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #55

Good advice

I appreciate all the good advice. I made a change and installed a suggested bypass valve to eliminate the fresh water tank from the equation. I winterized the TT with about two gallons of fresh antifreeze including popping the check valve on the city connection. Now I wait for spring.
jimbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:22 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
I'm still stuck on why? As has been repeatedly noted, RV antifreeze is cheap.

As stated by Ben Franklin ( a pretty smart guy...) A penny saved is a penny earned.

So saving $6 is, at this point, 2-3 gallons of gas to use on my next trip.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze