Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #21
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I spend less than $10 on AF every year. No need to re-use it.

It is cheap especially if you buy early. I paid just under $3.00 today for a gallon. Bought four (I have two RV's.)

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:51 PM   #22
D W

The only pink stuff in my rig is in the lines, and what has gone down the drains in galley, gray and black tanks during winterization. I don't want any of it back.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:01 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
The only pink stuff in my rig is in the lines, and what has gone down the drains in galley, gray and black tanks during winterization. I don't want any of it back.
Same here.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #24

Just use fresh all the time. I bought 4 gallons of -50 AF and cost less than $10 on sale.

I use 2 1/2 gallons and pour it generously down the P traps. An extra gallon can come in handy in case of operator error
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #25

Our previous travel trailer did not have an anti-freeze inlet, so I always put about 4 gallons in the fresh tank, then pumped until the pink stuff was coming out the faucets. When dewinterizing, I drained what was left in the fresh tank into bottles and reused it. Never had any problems. With our new MicroLite, I pump the pink stuff in through the anti-freeze inlet and just drain the water from the fresh tank. Now I'm only using a couple of gallons a season, and don't reuse any.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #26

Why do you need6 gal you can do it with less then3 gal
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #27

When I put the three valves by the water heater into the winter bypass positions, there is a small pipe run and fitting into the WH at the bottom that is a low spot still containing water that could freeze breaking the fitting, that will not be displaced when flushing the system with antifreeze. Any thoughts about this appreciated.
Glampen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glampen View Post
When I put the three valves by the water heater into the winter bypass positions, there is a small pipe run and fitting into the WH at the bottom that is a low spot still containing water that could freeze breaking the fitting, that will not be displaced when flushing the system with antifreeze. Any thoughts about this appreciated.
I pull the drain plug in the water heater out first. Next, I pump antifreeze through the rest of the trailer pour more down the drains for traps etc. During the above time, I think the two short runs of pipe from the valves to the WH will (?) drain into the WH and out WH drain. The very last thing I do is tape and reinstall the drain plug. I imagine if there was still a LITTLE water in the water heater, it would be much the same as the FW tank. Since it is only a little water, if it freezes it won’t do any damage. I have not had any issues while following this method.
Of course, if you blow out with air first, don’t bypass the WH, but pull the WH drain plug. Air will force that water Into the tank and out through the drain.

And for the price of plumbing antifreeze, why would you take the chance and reuse it?
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:26 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1 View Post
I know RV antifreeze is cheap but last spring when I dewinterized my TT I drained the antifreeze from my fresh tank back into the bottles the antifreeze came in. I got back about 4 1/2 of the 6 gallons I started with SO, does anybody see any problems with reusing last years antifreeze again?
I'm guessing that you put antifreeze in your FW tank as the only way you had to pump it into the pipes. Get one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36543-C...1558448&sr=8-5
and leave your tanks empty.

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:43 AM   #30
Site Team

Although RV antifreeze is considered non toxic to humans, it it not non toxic to pets and small animals and can lead to serious issues or death. It should be recycled just like automotive antifreeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
The OP posted what amounts to a two-part question.

Part 1: RV antifreeze in the fresh tank? General consensus, NO! I agree. A properly drained (and supported) fresh tank, with the drain valve left open, won't suffer freeze damage. Any small amount of ice that forms will have no "purchase" on the tank walls to crack anything. Why contaminate it with foul tasting antifreeze.

Part 2: Could you re-use the stuff you collect? Answer, assuming it's not diluted with fresh water from the fresh tank, YES. But how?
Well, if you have plumbing lines full of RV antifreeze, you could blow it out with air and collect it at the faucets and low point drains. Then you could store it for the summer and use it next winter in your greywater traps and tank, and/or your black tank and toilet bowl. This eliminates any risk of contaminating the freshwater system with antifreeze that may be tainted during handling.
Again, assuming you don't dilute it much with water in the lines.

My question is why go to all that effort to reclaim and reuse a product that costs $3.00/gallon new? The best place for used RV antifreeze is down the drain at home (municipal sanitary swwer)...or perhaps "over the bank" if you live in a rural area. It's essentially non-toxic. Other than the dyes in the antifreeze, it leaves little or no trace. The alcohols may be harsh on vegetation (e.g. lawns), thus the "over the bank" comment. In my case, "over the bank" prevents the antifreeze from entering my septic system and undermining the bacterial breakdown of solid waste due to the antibacterial nature of most alcohols.

Can you? Yes. Should you? It depends on how much value you place on your time.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Although RV antifreeze is considered non toxic to humans, it it not non toxic to pets and small animals and can lead to serious issues or death. It should be recycled just like automotive antifreeze.
I don't believe that is correct. I would not put it in my dog's water bowl, but I don't see a problem with a little of it on the ground and drying up. Most of it will wind up in the gray or black tanks and then diluted in the camp sewer.
https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/po...pylene-glycol/

'19 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
'17 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL
Mickey the Rescue Project Schnauzer
Days Camped: '17-39, '18-61, '19-64, '20-38
bedubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:21 PM   #32

True, the stuff doesn't cost a fortune. But either does water. Conservation and not generating unnecessary waste are also valid considerations.

Reclaimed anti freeze may be diluted with water. A refractometer can easily measure this. Blow the system out with air before adding antifreeze and dilution should be inconsequential.

I reclaim antifreeze used in the water system and use it the following winterization for grey and black drains.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:48 PM   #33

Thanks dnicoll, that's a great answer to my question!
Glampen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:18 AM   #34
PhD, Common Sense

Just some facts:

Pure propylene glycol freezes at -74F. It usually comes diluted. At 60% PG/40% water, the freezing point is -55F. 50% -> -29F. 40% -> -8F.

PG generally comes diluted. The current bottle I have in use does not give percentages, but the top three ingredients are: Ethyl alcohol, PG, and then water. It claims to protect to -50F.

Check any local regulations, but for those who choose not to recover, PG can safely be dumped in a sewer. However, if you have a septic system, dumping PG into it will damage the bacteria in your system.

Facts help folks make their own decisions.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:28 AM   #35

Antifreeze vs air

For all of you knocking antifreeze in the fresh tank (which is non toxic and biodegradable), I have done it like this guy says for 3 years. I have had zero freeze issues in northern Ohio. A couple of springtime flushes eliminate any taste but we also minimize our use of the fresh tank for drinking water. I am amazed how many people drink whatever comes out of any campground source they happen to fill with. This video made the antifreeze only option easy.

https://youtu.be/AuCdZTLiWLs
jimbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #36

Quote:
For all of you knocking antifreeze in the fresh tank (which is non toxic and biodegradable), I have done it like this guy says for 3 years. I have had zero freeze issues in northern Ohio. A couple of springtime flushes eliminate any taste but we also minimize our use of the fresh tank for drinking water. I am amazed how many people drink whatever comes out of any campground source they happen to fill with. This video made the antifreeze only option easy.

https://youtu.be/AuCdZTLiWLs
Nothing wrong with putting antifreeze in the fresh tank. Nothing wrong with not putting antifreeze in the fresh tank. Nothing wrong with just blowing out water and not using antifreeze at all.
I don't use antifreeze, preferring to blow out lines, even when I lived in Golden CO. If I did use antifreeze, I would never put it in my fresh tank just because of the sheer volume necessary and then the effort required in cleaning it out. My preference.
But if you prefer to use antifreeze and place it in your fresh tank, nothing wrong with that. It's your RV, your money, and your time.
If you think it's a good idea to reuse antifreeze, go for it and report back how many times you can reuse it before it is too watered down. Even if you have a tank that sits on a flat floor, there is always residual water you can't get out.
Happy RVing!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #37

All done

Since all I ever asked was “ does anybody see any problems with reusing last years antifreeze again?“, I got way more response than I needed. Thanks for all the “extra” opinions.
jimbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:00 PM   #38

Quote:
Since all I ever asked was “ does anybody see any problems with reusing last years antifreeze again?“, I got way more response than I needed. Thanks for all the “extra” opinions.
Welcome to the forum!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #39

I am not sure why you would have put antifreeze in your fresh tank. The water pump has a line for filling your pipes with antifreeze. Use your fresh water drain to empty your fresh tank that all you do.

Dan and Carol
2019 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/4x4/long box
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FLX
Full timers since May 2019
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:59 PM   #40

Another thing...

I didn't see anything about an inline water filter when winterizing. I unscrew the in and out connections on my inline water filter and couple them together with a male-male fitting. This saves a quart of antifreeze and doesn't contaminate the filter. I then remove the filter and water in the filter and take the filter inside the house where I dry it, wrap it with plastic wrap, and use it the following season.

I know many have bypassed the filter but mine works great and I plan to keep using it until I sell the trailer of decide to bypass the filter permanently.

I like the inline filter inside the trailer because it filters the water in my fresh water tank. Filters hooked to your hose and then trailer only filter city water. If you run it through your hose filter to fill your fresh water tank you can still get a plastic taste when using water from your fresh water tank.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze