Old 04-11-2017, 01:31 PM   #1

Atwood heater not hot enough

Our new coach a 2018 Coachmen Mirada has an attwood hot water heater. When i turn the hot water on the water is warm but even with the hot fully open and cold not on at all its only luke warm. Brought it to the dealer and they said it was fine but i dont think something is right somewhere. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the water hotter?

manderson2228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
Our new coach a 2018 Coachmen Mirada has an attwood hot water heater. When i turn the hot water on the water is warm but even with the hot fully open and cold not on at all its only luke warm. Brought it to the dealer and they said it was fine but i dont think something is right somewhere. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the water hotter?
Check your crossover valve, if applicable. This thread may help. This is a very common thing.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

I've reported my DNA missing just in case it's found somewhere bad.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Prime Member

Check and make sure the water valves on your shower are completely off and not just switched off at the shower head. The same for the outside shower if you have one.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Check and make sure the water valves on your shower are completely off and not just switched off at the shower head. The same for the outside shower if you have one.
I know these two are good to go. I'll have to check the bypass. We just bought the unit I am not even sure where to find the bypass.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
I know these two are good to go. I'll have to check the bypass. We just bought the unit I am not even sure where to find the bypass.
It's explained in the link in post #2, where you may can find the crossover valve.

Sometimes, it behind the water heater that you access from inside the RV somehow. You may have to go thru a cabinet, bed bottom, false panel, etc.

You could have a plumbing station that has the valves there

You could also have an access hole underneath the RV and behind the water heater that you unscrew to be able to reach up and turn the valves.

Please read the link in post #2 above.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
Site Team

Locate the WH cover on the outside. Then go inside and there is a panel or drawer that will need to be removed from the inside in the same area where you located the WH outside.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Sometimes, it behind the water heater that you access from inside the RV somehow. You may have to go thru a cabinet, bed bottom, false panel, etc.

You could have a plumbing station that has the valves there

You could also have an access hole underneath the RV and behind the water heater that you unscrew to be able to reach up and turn the valves.
Yea this is what i mean. I understand how the bypass works especially after seeing post 2 with the diagram. I literally just dont know how to get to the bypass valve. Is it normally behind of water heater or on the side?
Old 04-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Yea this is what i mean. I understand how the bypass works especially after seeing post 2 with the diagram. I literally just dont know how to get to the bypass valve. Is it normally behind of water heater or on the side?
Typically, behind.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
It's 'usually' behind the water heater, access of which is explained in the link.

You may have to access behind it from inside the RV....or could have an access hole underneath the RV that you unscrew.

Here is a recent thread on that access:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1463631

Old 04-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #10

Your bypass for winterization is definitely ON. I did the same thing a few weeks back. No hot water, just luke warm. Sure enough, after thinking about it, the hot water bypass valve was still on. DUH.
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #11

Me too. Felt dumb, but happy it was an easy fix.
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #12
Doe

Doe

Quote:
The atteood must have around 55-60 psi to operate I went thru the same thing they changed the heater and said it was working fine but what the rv people are using is the water pump witch puts out 60 psi that is why it works for them so I removed the 45 psi that they put on the rv and ck it it is about 40 psi so I removed it and take a pressure gauge with and ck the parks and most that I ck are around 60 psi and all works great hope this will help
Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe View Post
The atteood must have around 55-60 psi to operate I went thru the same thing they changed the heater and said it was working fine but what the rv people are using is the water pump witch puts out 60 psi that is why it works for them so I removed the 45 psi that they put on the rv and ck it it is about 40 psi so I removed it and take a pressure gauge with and ck the parks and most that I ck are around 60 psi and all works great hope this will help
Doe, there may possibly be some confusion here. What you are describing pertains to the Atwood tankless/on demand type water heater which according to the FR website, your Legacy does have.

Legacy SR 340 Class A Motorhomes by Forest River RV

However, also according to the FR website, the OP has a 6 gallon Gas DSI/Electric tank type Atwood water heater in their Mirada......so flow rate wouldn't be applicable to their problem if they do indeed have that type Atwood.

Mirada Class A Motorhomes by Coachmen RV

It definitely would make it simpler in giving advice if FR used all the same stuff in all their lines.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #14

If you still have trouble locating the valve, try Coachmen support, which has been great in all my needs. The last rep I've dealt with is:
Tonyia Kopsick
Service & Warranty Advisor
Coachmen RV/Class ďAĒ Plant 310
Direct # 574-825-8663
email: tkopsick@forestriverinc.com

Tags
heater