Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #1

Atwood propane water heater shuts down

Ok, brand new 2016 Coachmen Prism with an Atwood G6A-8E propane only water heater. Here is what it does: if the water in the tank is cold, it fires up and the water gets hot. Maybe too hot but I don't have a thermometer to measure it. When the water gets to whatever temp it is getting to, the main burner shuts off, then attempts to relight, which it does but only for a few seconds. Maybe 5 or so, then the main burner shuts off again. This repeats for 3 cycles and then locks out. After the 1st cycle, the DSI error light turns on. Seems to me that it is a high temp thermostat, but if that were it, wouldn't it not relight since the high temp thermostat disconnects the power to the gas valve?

I know, the best answer is take it to the dealer, it's under warranty. But, we are on our 1st trip 1200 miles from home. I jut want it to work. A few dollars in parts now would be well worth it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
capav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Let me just try to get a little more information from you...
Once the water gets to the the temp where the main burner shuts off... how long before the main burner attempts to light again? Seconds?... minutes? or possibly when you've finally used enough hot water that the unit calls for the burner to come on?

Also do I understand you saying the DSI error light comes on after the after the 1st failed lighting cycle but attempts two more lighting cycles before going into lockout?
Typically when the error light comes on, it is in lockout.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #3

It tries to relight in seconds. Maybe 3 or 4 seconds. This occurs while no water is being used.

Yes, after the 1st relight/main burner run(5 seconds)/shutdown, the blue error light at the control panel inside the coach light, and the heater runs this cycle 2 more times before stopping. If I cycle the on/off switch, it tries 3 more times. If I cycle power after using some hot water, it will run until the water is hot, then repeats the previously mentioned cycles and locks out.

Old 03-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Here is the troubleshooting information from the manual...

CAUSE......................... SOLUTION

WATER HEATER LOCK OUT - SPARK PRESENT BUT NO GAS
Gas pressure incorrect ------------------------------------------Set inlet pressure at a minimum 11˝ W.C. with two or more gas
appliances running
Low voltage--------------------------------------------------------Correct power supply - 10.5 VDC minimum
Blocked main burner tube --------------------------------------Clean burner tube
Blocked main burner orifice ------------------------------------Clean or replace orifice
Loose wires on E.C.O.--------------------------------------------Secure wire connections
Loose wire connections on solenoid valve --------------------Secure wire connections
Loose valve wire on wiring harness ----------------------------Repair wire on edge connector or replace wiring circuit board harness
Defective E.C.O. --------------------------------------------------Replace E.C.O.
Defective circuit board--------------------------------------------Replace circuit board
Defective solenoid valve------------------------------------------Replace coils or solenoid valve
No gas to solenoid valve ----------------------------------------Correct gas supply
Dirty connector on circuit board --------------------------------Clean edge connector

WATER HEATER LOCK OUT - GAS PRESENT BUT NO SPARK
High tension lead wire loose ------------------------------------Secure wire connection on circuit board
Electrodes loosely attached to main burner ------------------Secure electrodes to main burner
Improper electrode gapping ------------------------------------Re-position spark gap to 1/8˝ and into path of flame
Dirty electrodes --------------------------------------------------Clean electrodes
Wires loose in electrode porcelain------------------------------Replace electrodes
Cracked porcelain on electrode----------------------------------Replace electrodes
Defective circuit board--------------------------------------------Replace circuit board

WATER HEATER LOCK OUT - GAS AND SPARK PRESENT
Gas pressure incorrect ------------------------------------------Set inlet pressure at a minimum 11˝ W.C. with two or more gas
appliances running
Low voltage--------------------------------------------------------Correct power supply - 10.5 VDC minimum
Poor electrical ground--------------------------------------------Secure electrical ground
Electrodes out of flame pattern --------------------------------Re-adjust electrodes
Electrodes sparking to screw fastening burner to flue tube Adjust electrodes away from screw
Dirty electrodes --------------------------------------------------Clean electrodes
Partial obstruction in main burner------------------------------Clean main burner
Partially obstructed main burner orifice------------------------Clean main burner orifice or replace
Improper air adjustment ----------------------------------------Adjust main burner air shutter approximately 1/4 open
Flame spreader on main burner out of adjustment ----------Adjust flame spreader so that it is square to the end burner tube out
of alignment of the main burner
Manifold not aligned with main burner ------------------------Re-align solenoid valve with main burner
Partially opening solenoid valve --------------------------------Replace solenoid valve

Old 03-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

*HERE* is a link to the manual with troubleshooting info.
Scroll down to page 20 for some good test information.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

I have disassembled everything and cleaned. Nothing appeared to be dirty. I checked the electrode gap, it was probably a little wide. I gapped it to 1/8". It is well into the flame and glows when running. All electrical connections are tight and clean.

I don't have any test equipment for gas pressure.

Looks like I will have to take it to the dealer when we get home.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #7

If you have cleaned and checked all connectors, especially the temp thermostat, it kinda is pointing to a bad circuit board.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #8

Agree on a control problem.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 11:37 AM   #9

Thanks for the advice everyone. Next question, would most any service center do warranty work on it or would I need to take it to the selling dealer?

Old 03-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #10
Site Team

It's worth a call to the nearest Atwood servicing location and see if they'll take you in.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #11

Depending on where you are try a mobile RV repair service, are usually quick and most good ones will handle warranty work. May even have part on truck. Please let us know how you make out.

Edited this to add info. We have used mobile repair services 3 times on our winter trip. Refrigerator, leaking hydraulic jack, and awning. Each time it was a different company in different locations. They were all great, I made sure when I called that they did warranty work for each item. They made all calls to manufacturer, got permissions and parts, and made repairs. So far there has not been any out of pocket expenses.

I also found out that many of the warrantees on items were based on the build date of the RV/ or when FR purchased the item and not my purchase date. The awning warranty was already 10 months old and we only owned the camper for 5 months. Had to email proof of purchase to get it corrected. Also had to do this for Lippert hydraulic jack repair.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #12

Follow up

I finally got the water heater working correctly. I found 2 service centers in Des Moines that are factory authorized to do warranty work on the water heater. One of them wouldn't get back to me and the other offered to get me in in 3 months....

I was working with a rep from Atwood, who couldn't do much more than try to put me in touch with a local repair center. They are the ones who gave me the 2 to try. When I let them know that one wouldn't return phone calls and the other wouldn't get me in in a timely manner, Atwood agreed to help me directly. They asked that I send the ignitor and control board back to them. They even paid the UPS shipping. Within 5 day I had a new control board and ignitor in my mailbox. I installed them this weekend and the heater works like a champ!! Fires right up, ignitor stops firing and the heater keeps running.

Took a little time, but Atwood made things right.

I never did hear from Atwood which part was causing the problem. Since they sent both, I guess it must have been a combination of the two.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
Site Team

Thanks for reporting back what you did to get it fixed. I'm glad Atwood was willing to work with you to resolve the problem.

Tags
heater, propane, water, water heater