Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #1

Atwood water heater not igniting

We have an Atwood water heater. Model G6A-8E. It is a six gallon, gas only, electronic ignition heater. It is original to our 2018 Coachmen Leprechaun 210RS and is a little over a year old.

When we turn the water heater on at the control panel inside the RV the igniter clicks, but I do not see any spark anywhere. The DSI light comes on, flickers a little and goes out. There is gas at the heater because we can smell it when we initially turn the switch on but the heater does not light off. It attempts to start a total of three times and then locks out until the switch on the control panel is reset. There is water in the tank and the valves are all set to the proper dewinterized positions. The system has worked within the past two days.

The 2 amp fuse on the tank circuit board is good. The 15 amp fuse in the fuse box labeled "Heat Tank" is also good, although I have no idea on earth what this fuse does given there is no electric heating capability with this unit.

Any ideas on where my problem may be?
Old 04-13-2019, 11:44 PM   #2

I had a similar problem right at one year old, I could hear the click, click, click of the igniter, but no spark and then the red light would come on after three attempts. All I did to fix it was remove the igniter with the one little screw that holds it on and clean the probe and the area where it sparks to with a little wire brush, reinstall the igniter and it fired right up. It's been fine for two more seasons so far without failing....*Knock on Wood*

Ray
US Navy Veteran
RandK-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:50 AM   #3

Try what Randk says first. Those atwoods are famous for bad boards, had the same problem mine was the garbage board. It wouldn't allow gas to pass. If it is the board, when you install the new one put a spacer in to keep it off the face, the solder joints break from that little heat on the face it seems, been a year now with mine no problems, but I also carry a spare board, they are that bad.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:51 AM   #4

sounds like air in system did you try lighting stove all burners? and start refrigerator on propane? then try your hot water tank.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:07 AM   #5

Did you have water in the tank when you tried to light it? If so, the other thing to look at is next to the 2 amp fuse. It is called the thermal cut off. Easy, cheap replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #6

The light coming on and then going out is supposed to be the indication that the heater did light. maybe bad board.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #7

Winter bypass

I assumed the winterize bypass valve is not still set to bypass. Did you check this?
Great bourbon-just about any of San Diego’s craft beer
Beachbourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #8

Igniter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post
I had a similar problem right at one year old, I could hear the click, click, click of the igniter, but no spark and then the red light would come on after three attempts. All I did to fix it was remove the igniter with the one little screw that holds it on and clean the probe and the area where it sparks to with a little wire brush, reinstall the igniter and it fired right up. It's been fine for two more seasons so far without failing....*Knock on Wood*

Ray
I think this is the best suggestion, so far. You have gas ,ignition, that eliminates a circuit board problem. I would also take suggestion and clean igniter and/or reset igniter gap before proceeding any further. IMHO

Bytesponge
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandK-M View Post

Ray
RandK-M, WitchDoctor and Bytesponge, Thank you. I think this is the best starting point too and as soon as the driving rain and wind down here on the Florida panhandle coast let up a little bit, I'll go give it a try. Appreciate the time and though of your responses.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
The light coming on and then going out is supposed to be the indication that the heater did light. maybe bad board.
I know. Leaves me scratching my head too. If the suggestion for cleaning and checking the gap on the igniter doesn't work, this is my next guess.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
Did you have water in the tank when you tried to light it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbourbon View Post
I assumed the winterize bypass valve is not still set to bypass. Did you check this?

Covered in the original post.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
sounds like air in system did you try lighting stove all burners? and start refrigerator on propane? then try your hot water tank.
Not sure I understand what you're saying. Can I have both gas at the heater and air in the system that would prevent that gas from igniting?
Old 04-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #13

Atwood water heater

Replace circuit board it is bad easy to replace
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:34 PM   #14

Before I went for a new board I would remove the tube that carries the air gas mixture (don't know what it is call) and run a small bottle brush thru it. I have had 3 occasions over 40+ years where a Spider has nested in that tube. You get gas smell, spark, but NO FIRE.
DEC43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #15

What I said start you stove all burners and refrigerator let run a few minutes then try starting hot water tank.
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
What I said start you stove all burners and refrigerator let run a few minutes then try starting hot water tank.
That really didn't respond to the question I asked you. I understand the process and have done it more than once. The question is how is it possible to have air in the lines and still have gas at the heater.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:09 PM   #17

circuit board rteplacement.

I had to replace the board on my Atwood water after only one year old! I put in an aftermarket "Dinosaur aftermarket board". Connections matched and quite a bit cheaper. Has worked now for the past two seasons!
rdolan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:56 AM   #18
Just as confused as you

Having a slight smell of LP while the wh is trying to ignite is a sign of a dirty orifice, bugs or spider webs in the burner tube or flue. For any other problems see the forums Library section for the following.

Atwood Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide : http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...do=file&id=189
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC43 View Post
Before I went for a new board I would remove the tube that carries the air gas mixture (don't know what it is call) and run a small bottle brush thru it. I have had 3 occasions over 40+ years where a Spider has nested in that tube. You get gas smell, spark, but NO FIRE.
Thanks for the idea. Tube was clean and wire brushing igniter as suggested by one of the early responses also didn't work.

Spoke with Dometic/Atwood about the problem. They asked for the manufacturer and date code from the circuit board. When I provided that they didn't ask for anything else. They are overnighting a new circuit board. While I'm not happy about being without hot water, I have absolutely no complaint about the quality of the customer service. Fortunately, we're in a campground with good, clean showers!
Old 04-16-2019, 03:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Gordon View Post
Thanks for the idea. Tube was clean and wire brushing igniter as suggested by one of the early responses also didn't work.

Spoke with Dometic/Atwood about the problem. They asked for the manufacturer and date code from the circuit board. When I provided that they didn't ask for anything else. They are overnighting a new circuit board. While I'm not happy about being without hot water, I have absolutely no complaint about the quality of the customer service. Fortunately, we're in a campground with good, clean showers!
Yes, they know they have a bunch of these bad boards from China out there, I'm glad they didn't hassle you, good for them, remember to put a spacer in and get it off the face, so some air will circulate around it. Even if it's only a couple of washers.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater