Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2015, 12:09 PM   #41

Progress note: I found a one-quart bottle of RV Digest It and poured it all in, as per instructions. I have turned off all water sources and have opened/propped open the flusher. Now, we wait. (Any suggestions on the flusher, if I need to keep it propped open at this point or not, or anything else?)

Yes, the back one with its own tank and handle are working great. Although, I just found out yesterday that I should be putting something into the tank every time I empty?! Didn't know that!

It's already dipping below freezing, was 28 this morning. I haven't had a chance to read the winter living sticky, busy work day today, but I guess I need to pick up some of the "heat trace and insulation" about which you're talking. When you say "basement" do you mean I need to undo the belly thing somewhere and put a heater of some sort?
whisperwhillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:52 PM   #42
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Basement refers to the storage compartments in the forward part of 5th wheels, where you store all your stuff. The water pipes, connections, etc are usually attached to the "ceiling" (floor of the bed/bath area) and are usually visible.
There is no need to undo the belly covering.
Heat trace tape and the tubular pipe insulation are available from Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, and even Ace Hardware stores.

Do you know if you have black tank flush nozzles? There would be a water hose connection that will have a black cap on it or a label. These are jets inside your black tank. If you do, and you get your black tank to empty, hook your water hose to it and let it run with the black tank valve open as long as you can, even an hour or so.

As for maintenance, most folks put some sort of enzyme chemical in their black tank that helps dissolve the TP (and by the way use RV TP, not charmin, angel soft, or other brands as they don't dissolve easily -- although you will find folks recommending the angel soft). A lot also will put some water softener additive like Calgon in the black tank at each empty. This helps to keep solids and minerals from sticking to the plastic tanks.
A lot of this stuff you can get at a WalMart in the Automotive department -- chemicals, TP, etc. The Calgon is sometimes hard to find but it is usually in the laundry detergent section of the grocery area.
As was mentioned in an earlier post, flush with lots of water. Sometimes I'll just keep my foot on the flusher while I'm washing my hands. Frequent emptying and cleaning is a whole lot easier than what you're going through right now.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.,
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:58 PM   #43

their is a fitting that you can buy or perhaps borrow from another RVer called a flush king fitting. it has a hose fitting in the middle and a gate valve at the end and is clear you attach it to the black water valve and attach the sewer hose to the end that has the gate valve. You attach a hose to it, push gate valve closed then turn hose on. The water under pressure is directed to your black water tank have all other valves to gray water ect pushed off. Let water hose run 1 minute then turn off and open gate valve on fitting watch if only clean clear water briefly comes flowing thru clear plastic fitting the valve is not opening. If cloudy/nasty stuff comes thru their is a blockage and it is working thru. Repeat until tank emptys. Please no more chemicals
Egorsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:52 PM   #44

The last two posts sound similar and like something that I probably should do, but I'm apprehensive because there's so much fecal water in the commode. I would be devastated and reminded of Daddy Day Care if the pressure were to push that water in the commode out. I mean, it's completely full. I'm telling everyone to walk softly even, so as to not jostle any of the water out of it.

Thoughts?
Old 10-29-2015, 02:19 PM   #45

Let me ask the obvious...

Is it connected to a dump hose on the outside? I am afraid you have no choice but to disconnect the hose in order to run a snake up the pipe from the outside-in. The blockage is between the commode and the hose outlet. Putting more in at the top will not fic this. You have to go in from the outside with some mechanical action, like a snake.

That said, be prepared for a shower when it breaks loose. Have your hose ready to connect in a hurry, and wear raingear and gloves, unless you don't want to...
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:28 PM   #46
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

If your comode is indeed filled already, then I agree with your reasoning to not add additinal water. The black flushng nozzels won't do any good at this stage, but will once your tank gets flowing as mentioned in my post.

You don't mention if this TH is new to you or if the system has been working fine until now.

One last thought: all tanks have a vent through to the outside (roof or wall) to keep a vacuum from happenig in the tank from preventing the water to drain out. On the roof these are covered by round plastic upside down bowl like pieces. It would be above the bathroom or the tank (or pretty close to that location). If you can get up there to make sure the vents aren't plugged or sealed by a bunch of wet leaves or something like that. It's a long shot I admit, but the vents are an element in the drainage system of the tanks.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 10-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #47
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

You mentioned a snake that wasn't long enough in your OP. Can you get your hands on a longer one?
Next step if the RV digest doesn't do the trick is as MOODMAN says in pos #45.
EEEWWWWWWW!!!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 10-29-2015, 02:32 PM   #48
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post

... and wear raingear and gloves, unless you don't want to...
DISPOSABLE is preferable!
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 10-29-2015, 02:33 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperwhillow View Post
Progress note: I found a one-quart bottle of RV Digest It and poured it all in, as per instructions. I have turned off all water sources and have opened/propped open the flusher. Now, we wait. (Any suggestions on the flusher, if I need to keep it propped open at this point or not, or anything else?)

Yes, the back one with its own tank and handle are working great. Although, I just found out yesterday that I should be putting something into the tank every time I empty?! Didn't know that!

It's already dipping below freezing, was 28 this morning. I haven't had a chance to read the winter living sticky, busy work day today, but I guess I need to pick up some of the "heat trace and insulation" about which you're talking. When you say "basement" do you mean I need to undo the belly thing somewhere and put a heater of some sort?
You can close the flusher....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #50

"TIA" my name is Bob and I aint your uncle Yes you can close your flush unless you think that the RV Digest-It will work in the toilet. Hopefully you had enough to turn solids to liquids. Sorry I didn't answer your question as to where to get it. Just came back on. I got it through Amazon.ca but you can try amazon.com. I sure hope that it's not the cut out that the workmen cut out of the black tank to fit the plumbing that could possibly be blocking the exit from the black tank. Sometimes they get lazy and don't pull it out after cutting the hole.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:05 PM   #51

The unit is new to us, but we've been filling ("ew!") and emptying the forward black tank seemingly just fine. We've been living in the RV for almost a month now.

I'll take a pic of the outside area near the drain thingies and see if I can post it.

Thank you, everyone, for the help.

By the way, if my name is now Tia, I think maybe oxcamper and TURBS are going to be Uncle Bob -- TURBS because he called me Tia, and oxcamper because he originally said "Bob's your Uncle!"
Old 10-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #52

I sent you a pm
tomfmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:10 PM   #53
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperwhillow View Post
The unit is new to us, but we've been filling ("ew!") and emptying the forward black tank seemingly just fine. We've been living in the RV for almost a month now.

I'll take a pic of the outside area near the drain thingies and see if I can post it.

Thank you, everyone, for the help.

By the way, if my name is now Tia, I think maybe oxcamper and TURBS are going to be Uncle Bob -- TURBS because he called me Tia, and oxcamper because he originally said "Bob's your Uncle!"
Lol! Ok im uncle bob then
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:51 PM   #54

Before I travel I dump a large bag of store bought ice into the black tank through the commode. The ice cubes break up the bottom settlements as they rock and roll back and forth and melt when driving. When I arrive, I fill the black tank by pressing on the commode and running water into it then I dump that. Sure cleans it out well.
Brippley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:02 PM   #55

Following this post of Tia and Uncle Bob
Sheldon211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #56

Following as well
Fuzzy164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #57
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Interesting nontheless !
Tia didn't know what she got herself into.
[emoji12]
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #58
Oklahoma Proud

Is there any way a fish tape could be ran in the flush port of the adapter that turbs posted? Maybe the fish tape could be used to break up the blockage.
Then you could limit the amount of waste spilling out and leave the stinky slinky attached. Should be able to find a fish tape at almost any hardware store.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:26 PM   #59

Backed up, spent small fortune so far

My 2cents. Call a professional plumber. These guys have seen a lot. They may be able to power snake it through the vent. If you get , don't do RVs, call the next one on the list. Got nothing to lose and at the least, may be able do evac the tank through the vent or toilet. Or perhaps a septic service to clear and pump you out.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:51 PM   #60

The adapter in post #4 can be used with a plumbing snake. Remove the hose connector and feed a small snake through the hole. When the blockage starts to move you only need your thumb to block the hole and not allow any waste to escape. Remember to wear gloves when working around the waste pipes.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote