Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2017, 03:06 PM   #21
Just as confused as you

My black tank dump valve is a 3 inch, grey tank valve is 1-1/2 inches, both are joined together in a 'T' just before the dump cap.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #22
(Dry Huunday)

Interesting. Might be worth a try. It will either work or start the Zombie Apocalypse. Win Win either way!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:41 PM   #23

Use the Geo Method in your black tank and you won't have to even discuss or argue about this option.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Use the Geo Method in your black tank and you won't have to even discuss or argue about this option.
Works in the grey tank as well.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #25
(Dry Huunday)

Already use the Geo method! Works great, but couldnt resist commenting.... fun topic and it might help even more! roflblack:

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 05-29-2017, 04:24 PM   #26

I'll pass on that. After the black is dumped with the valve closed I fill it 1/2 full then dump again. Next the back flush is run for 5 minutes. Close it and dump the 2 gray tanks. Then add 5 gallon of water, a cup of Dawn, and 8 oz of chemicals. The same thing goes in gray tanks. Stays there until the next dump. Be ya problem with sensors either.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #27

Kind of like gargling with the same water you shave with. Doesn't seem healthy to me. Bacteria fighting is tough enough without inviting it.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvdixie View Post
Kind of like gargling with the same water you shave with. Doesn't seem healthy to me. Bacteria fighting is tough enough without inviting it.
There are 4 bathrooms in our S&B and not one runs to a sink or shower drain before the main line. Code does not permit that.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #29
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlove View Post
We were told by dealer never use your black tank clean out with valve closed if your not paying attention and you over fill there are only a couple of places for that dirty water to go and it would not be pleasant.
Perhaps I should have added this for clarification: I know the size of my black tank and I know the gallons per minute flow of the connected hose. I set a timer for how much water I want in the tank

I never leave this operation unattended and haven't had any overflows in over four years of doing it this way. AND - DW doesn't complain of tank odors
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #30

You guys crack me up. My old fiver you could do that always did for 35 years and never an Issue. I don't see a issue since all my drains in my stick and brick are piped together. I have found thou that if you don't run water down a drain at least once a month the sewer gas will come in. I found that out because it is just me and my wife in a 4 bedroom three bath house we tend to not use all sinks, showers, bathtubs and one night the smell was real strong turns out the sink P trap had dried out.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:20 PM   #31
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
You guys crack me up. My old fiver you could do that always did for 35 years and never an Issue. I don't see a issue since all my drains in my stick and brick are piped together. I have found thou that if you don't run water down a drain at least once a month the sewer gas will come in. I found that out because it is just me and my wife in a 4 bedroom three bath house we tend to not use all sinks, showers, bathtubs and one night the smell was real strong turns out the sink P trap had dried out.

Well said and great point bringing up household plumbing!! Thank you!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
Old 05-29-2017, 09:33 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post
A good friend of mine has done this for over ten years and claims similar benefits and no problems.
If I have the slack in the dump hose, I do that after black drains, by simply lifting the middle of the hose until it is above the holding tanks. Them open the gray, let them equalize then close the gray, lay the hose down and let the blackish drain again. When it stops dripping, close black, drain gray, close gray rince poop tube and put it away?
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeepMeep View Post
Perhaps I should have added this for clarification: I know the size of my black tank and I know the gallons per minute flow of the connected hose. I set a timer for how much water I want in the tank

I never leave this operation unattended and haven't had any overflows in over four years of doing it this way. AND - DW doesn't complain of tank odors
Isn't that like bike riders. There are those who have dumped their bike and there are those who WILL DUMP THEIR BIKE.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:55 PM   #34
Site Team - Lou

When at a location where you must exist on internal storage and want to extend your stay as long as possible (like the NASCAR infield), I have heard that many folks burp the gray tank (which will fill first) into the black to get another day out of the gray tank.

I tried it once and it works just as advertised. You DO need an "end of line" valve to accomplish this feat to keep from getting your shoes wet when you do finally dump both tanks.

Close the end of line valve.
Open gray water valve to fill the dump mast.
Open black tank valve to equalize liquid levels.
Close black and gray tank valves.
Repeat until both tanks are full.

Attach hose at dump station.
Open end of mast valve.
Dump Black tank.
Dump Gray tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0443.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	139484   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1368.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	139485   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1994.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	139486  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:30 PM   #35

yukeeeeeee

Been doing sewer work for years. Good piping is not the dirtiest thing in the world to work on, Septic Systems are. Black water tanks are equal to a septic system. One should never intentionally mix tank products. Get a microscope if you don't believe me.
weatherguru1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:41 PM   #36
Site Team - Lou

Black and gray water tanks are holding tanks, not septic systems. They don't break down waste, they just hold it till you can dump it somewhere else.

If the swap procedure is done correctly, no solids/TP should ever enter your gray water tank and only gray water will enter your black tank.

As to "bacteria", I can only say that gray and black water mix in the dump mast in any case. The only real difference between the two is an OEM turbo flusher to assist in solids removal from the black tank.

Adding an aftermarket turbo-flusher to the gray tank with make them equal in all aspects.

Don't overthink this.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru1 View Post
Been doing sewer work for years. Good piping is not the dirtiest thing in the world to work on, Septic Systems are. Black water tanks are equal to a septic system. One should never intentionally mix tank products. Get a microscope if you don't believe me.
Reading this makes you wonder if some store the sewer hose in their fridge.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Black and gray water tanks are holding tanks, not septic systems. They don't break down waste, they just hold it till you can dump it somewhere else.

If the swap procedure is done correctly, no solids/TP should ever enter your gray water tank and only gray water will enter your black tank.

As to "bacteria", I can only say that gray and black water mix in the dump mast in any case. The only real difference between the two is an OEM turbo flusher to assist in solids removal from the black tank.

Adding an aftermarket turbo-flusher to the gray tank with make them equal in all aspects.

Don't overthink this.

DITTO
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:39 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Reading this makes you wonder if some store the sewer hose in their fridge.
When we installed our "Aeration Septic System" 35 years ago,the Salesman of the system came out afterwards and ask how we liked the Aeration System and told us that the system was so effective the Discharge water going into the Creek was good enough to "Drink" I went into the house and returned with a glass,like Most Salesman he Declined to Drink the Discharge! My point is we treat "Black and Gray" Equal,we are NOT going to "Drink or Bath" in either! I have smelled Galley Tank discharge that would "Gag a Maggot" most added chemicals just "Mask" the Odor,It is Still NASTY! Youroo!!
Old 05-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #40

I was discussing this very topic w/ a co-worker the other day, and we figured the grey tank not having a check valve on it would be the reason for not wanting to practice this. But imho it is an excellent way to get the really nasty stuff out of the blank tank.

I know our family produces roughly 2-3 times the amount grey vs. black. So flushing w/ grey would be ideal.

I have also seen that every campsite dumping station we have been to has a fitting at the end which doesn't allow attaching the hose to anything...so this black tank flushing system is useless for us. I am thinking a 5 gal bucket filled and ready to be poured down the *toilet* at the dump station will be our best bet for flushing the black.
jonshonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, flush, tank