Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
Somewhat right of center

Barker Portable Tank

Ok, I just received the Barker 42 Gal portable black water tank and have one question. It's sturdy and built well with the pneumatic tires. The only thing I don't like is the metal hammered on cap that holds the tires on. Has anyone heard of these things failing?Considering the weight (well over 300lbs when full) I'm concerned they will pop off. Thanks. Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1385.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	47560  
Old 03-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
Camper Less Camping

Mine is going on 8yrs old...so far no issues with wheel cap or anything else-great tank (I assume it gets used about 2 camping trips/yr as the other trips are full hookup)

Old 03-11-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
Somewhat right of center

Thanks Cajun.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

You can always drill an 1/8 hole thru the axle (and maybe the cap at the same time) and run a cotter key or hair pin clip in it. I do it all the time on stuff like this!

-the pic is of my generator axle

MillerTime- Future Sabre Handler!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1394580505144.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	47568  
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:00 PM   #5

I had 25 gallon 4 wheel for many years and love it upgraded to 35 because of height of tote and love it. Have had 3-4 years and use it all the time for my camper and friends campers.
CincyED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #6

I have the same tote(42 gallon) and made my mods to it before Barker started adding the pneumatic tires. I cut my axles and used the same caps as they do now from the Ace Hardware store. Haven't had any issues yet.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:57 AM   #7
Somewhat right of center

Thanks all.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
Broken Toe

This will put your mind at ease. Try to take the cup off yourself. I think you will be surprised at how difficult it will be.

I had a similar setup on a hand truck, and I wanted to replace the wheels. It took hammers and chisels and other implements of destruction to get them off.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
Somewhat right of center

Thanks Cowracer. That does put my mind at ease. I started this thread cause I was wondering if I really needed to do the cotter pin mod. Truthfully, I didn't feel like doing it without checking other people's experience with them. From what you all said so far, the mod isn't necessary.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbyguy View Post
Ok, I just received the Barker 42 Gal portable black water tank and have one question. It's sturdy and built well with the pneumatic tires. The only thing I don't like is the metal hammered on cap that holds the tires on. Has anyone heard of these things failing?Considering the weight (well over 300lbs when full) I'm concerned they will pop off. Thanks. Pic attached.
Mind never have. Had the wheel break, replaced both with metal wheels. Lowes has the push on holders if you want to pick up some extras.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 03-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #11
Somewhat right of center

Ok, what are your thoughts on painting this thing. Don't care much for the blue and how it stands out. I want to go with the colors of the camper.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #12
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabbyguy View Post
Ok, what are your thoughts on painting this thing. Don't care much for the blue and how it stands out. I want to go with the colors of the camper.
use Krylon Fusion paint. It will bond with the plastic. Anything else will flake off in short order.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #13
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
use Krylon Fusion paint. It will bond with the plastic. Anything else will flake off in short order.

Tim
Thanks Tim. I got a little itchy and bought some rustoleum "also bonds to plastic" garbage.....................needless to say, BULL@$#%! I can scratch it off with my finger. I got online and there it is, Krylon Fusion. Should have done that first. I have time till I use the tank so later I'll just power wash my screw-up and go with the Krylon. For now, the tank looks good as long as I don't sneeze on it. I just have to figure if I want to spend the money on the Krylon (I'm seeing close to 50 bucks a can) or deal with that ugly damn blue.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #14

You can buy that Fusion paint at $$$-mart - it is not $50 a can though!!
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #15
Oklahoma Proud

To be completely honest, it will be impossible to find any paint that will stick, if you only spray it on. Plastic require some additional steps to get good adhesion. While attainable, most don't like the time and effort required to do correctly.
If interested in details, I can explain further if you'd like.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #16

We used the Fusion to paint some plastic outside patio tables - it worked very well
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #17
Oklahoma Proud

The tote tanks are made of a different kind of plastic most likely. The tanks are I believe a TPO - greasy looking plastic. Even if not, they have a great amount of mold release in/on them that would need extensive prep work for adhesion to work.
Lawn furniture usually has the mold release "cooked" out from constant sun exposure and weathering. Plus I believe they are a differnt type of plastic most likely.

There are several types of plastics- TPO, PPO, ABS, and more. Identifying the type of plastic will change how it is to be painted or repaired. You could google 3m or Kent plastic repair materials and they maybe able to explain the types of plastics available.
We repair and paint plastics everyday for vehicles, but you have to know what your working with.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #18

I think Barker uses polyethylene.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #19
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying dutchman View Post
I think Barker uses polyethylene.
Thanks!
I believe we would throw it in the paint booth and bake it for 30-60 minutes at 140-160° to get the mold release out.
After cooling it would get washed with soap and water to remove the oils. Then the whole thing would be wet or dry scuffed till whole thing was completely dull. Then wiped with surface prep, or alcohol wipes. Then an adhesion promoter is sprayed on. Even a shakey can of 3m's 5907 for tpo will work. Applied lightly and following directions. Then the sealer and base/clear coats are applied.
If I remember correctly polyethylene is in the tpo family. And many car bumpers are tpo.

Its alot of prep. But anything that you want to look good for more than the first trip to the power washer, will take some work!
Good luck!

Old 03-16-2014, 06:46 AM   #20
Somewhat right of center

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
The tote tanks are made of a different kind of plastic most likely. The tanks are I believe a TPO - greasy looking plastic. Even if not, they have a great amount of mold release in/on them that would need extensive prep work for adhesion to work.
Lawn furniture usually has the mold release "cooked" out from constant sun exposure and weathering. Plus I believe they are a differnt type of plastic most likely.

There are several types of plastics- TPO, PPO, ABS, and more. Identifying the type of plastic will change how it is to be painted or repaired. You could google 3m or Kent plastic repair materials and they maybe able to explain the types of plastics available.
We repair and paint plastics everyday for vehicles, but you have to know what your working with.

Thanks MT, good info. What you said (in bold) makes sense. I had lawn furniture that was baked in the sun and the paint held to it without any problem, that's why I bought it again (the Rustoleum) for the tank. The plastic of the tank is no doubt another animal. Considering all that's entailed to do it right, I'll probably just have to live with the blue.

Tags
tank