Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2020, 09:51 AM   #1

Bath Tub Removal-Any tricks I should know?

I have to remove the bathtub in my 2012 Apex 20 QBS to get at a CITY water leak somewhere in or around the left corner or along the short wall next to the vanity sink as you look at the tub. This is not a small leak. If I'm on City water and the trailer is slightly off level and pitched that side, I can flood the floor in about 5 minutes. I had water creeping up to the bed.

Is there anything to disconnect besides the big nut connecting to the tub's floor drain? I'll probably have to drill out the screw that holds the perforated stainless drain cover. Someone use a carbon steel screw and it's rusted.

That plastic nut is very thin, compared to a normal cast iron pipe. I have all sort of plumbing wrenches but not a skinny/ thin one that gives more working clearance to turn it. Mine are all clunky RIGID wrenches with teeth.

Are there other things I can't see that have to be disconnected in order to lift that tub out other than the obvious connections for the faucet? (That's another joke I'll mention later.)
I even bought one of those Lizard Video Cams but can't maneuver like a high end bore scope. Nothing shows up under there that's easily recognized.

Now for the funny but sad part about the faucet and PEX pipe feeding it. I post this part in case someone else has leaks in the area. I managed to remove a few screws that hold the wall in place. Pried it open enough to peek in there. Then I ran my hand up the cold water pipe and found what you never want to discover. Screws rubbing against that pipe. Another 1/4" and they would have been driven right into that PEX pipe.These screws are what secures the cabinet that's on the other side wall. The factory guy who put those screws in never thought they might pierce that PEX pipe. There were more than one in perfect alignment. I couldn't do that unless I drew a pencil line for drilling those puppies in.
Bohica Bob is offline   Reply With Quote