Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Halifax View Post
Just another suggestion.....Since you are replacing the taps I would go to a hardware/pluming store and purchase two 3/8" (?) flex pipes and attach to the faucet ass'y which will hang down within sight and adapt blue/red plastic pipes accordingly....
Except if you do that I do not believe you will be able to get the plastic retaining nut on the faucet to secure it to the sink or counter top.

That Does Work if you are installing the entire sink, put the faucet on the sink before you set the sink in or over the hole.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #62

so did you ever get it?
it is like a book with no ending???

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:55 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrode View Post
so did you ever get it?
it is like a book with no ending???
Maybe He "Washed His Hands of the Whole Thing"! In the Kitchen sink! Youroo!!
Old 01-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #64
Dr Travel

Okay, all - what a great help this forum is. I got out my calculator, contacted an engineer, a plumber, my old geometry teacher, and a slide rule, and voila!! I have a plan, and today is "fix it" day. I can actually undo the "nuts" that hold the faucet onto the countertop. So I am going to undo those complete, cut the hoses (cold and hot), pull that stinking cheap faucet out, and save the cut hoses. Then I am going to attach the old cut hoses to the new sink, insert it into the countertop, screw it down tight (yup, with plumbers putty, too.) Then I will re-connect the cut pipes while inserting shut off valves for the hot and cold water. That's the plan and for now I am sticking to it. I will post photos and if necessary description later today...assuming I don't have to make 15 trips to Lowe's. I have a next door buddy who has a flex pipe cutter, and the tools to crimp the clamps on the pipe connectors with cut-off valves in them. Stay tuned, gang. I am rounding the corner and heading for home plate!!!

Fulltimers since 2014; still going strong in our RW Sig Ultralight Fiver. Have towed the Rockwood 27,000 miles with nary a hiccup. (Except for when participating in happy hours)

robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #65

Sounds like a great team to work with, but: In your photos it appears that you have a red PEX line leading to the hot water faucet and a white braided hose leading to the cold water faucet. From experience, with miles of PEX, I can tell you that the red PEX line can be cut and reconnected using a new valve and proper fittings. IMO: There is not enough room under the sink to use the crimper for the round rings which I favor. IF you're friend has the side crimp type rings and crimper for those it can be done although still a tight fit. The problem I see is the white braided hose. The problem I see is the white braided hose. Yes, it can be cut and reconnected using a new cut-off valve IF you can find the proper fittings for each end of the valve to accommodate the braided hose. The PEX crimp rings will not work in this braided hose. Maybe use worm type clamps for the connection and IF you do I would be checking for leaks often. I also wonder why the factory would use PEX for one side of the faucet and not the other, but then they do strange things at the RV factories. Hint: IF you have a problem pushing the new fittings into the red PEX hose use the wifey's hair dryer to gently warm the end of the hose and the fitting will slide right in. And do not forget to put the crimp ring on first, I learned that lesson quite a few times. Good Luck
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:43 AM   #66

Reading with interest, but there's not a single word in this thread that I understand, other than "Plumber".......................

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #67
Dr Travel

Yes, that is correct. For some unknown reason, I have PLex on the cold and plain old on the red. What foolishness is this, who knows??

But thanks so much for the heads up. Back to Lowe's!!! Got the shut-off valve/connectors, but now have to get the right clamp for that Plex hose...oh, boy. Appreciate the counsel/advice...

Fulltimers since 2014; still going strong in our RW Sig Ultralight Fiver. Have towed the Rockwood 27,000 miles with nary a hiccup. (Except for when participating in happy hours)

Old 01-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #68
Dr Travel

Sorry, I worded that incorrectly. I have Pex on the hot, and braided on the cold. Gotta figure out how to clamp that braided connector correctly...back to Lowe's I go!!

Old 01-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #69

"robsshots": At Lowe's, HD and other places, you should be able to find 1/4 turn PVC ball valve(s) with threaded ends. I recommend the PVC valves as most stop valves for plumbing are hard to find with threaded ports. Finding a PEX adapter with threaded male end to fit the PVC valve and PEX nipple should be easy, you will need two of these. I would use the PEX crimp cinch rings that have the tab on one side due to the small enclosure you are working in. These do take a special crimper, NOT a pair of channel locks or side cutters, which your friend may have. In your case IF you cannot find one to borrow, buy one to do this job correctly. DO NOT use worm clamps on PEX, they just do not work correctly/good. Now to the cold water line: Using the same PVC ball valve find two adapters that are male threaded on one end and the other end will be a barbed fitting/nipple for the I.D. of the braided hose under your sink. You can use worm clamps on this but as I mentioned before check for leaks often after installing. That braided hose doesn't like to be squeezed but it can be done. After installing the new valves, hoses, etc. I would connect to your water supply, bleed all faucets within the camper to assure water flow then shut off everything. Leave the water supply connection hooked up. Look at the repair work you did every 30 minutes or so for a few hours to assure there are no leaks. Good Luck
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:42 PM   #70

I had the exact same, cabinet, sink and tap.(Flagstaff8528RLWS) The tap broke on mine too.I undid the drain trap fittings, I then loosened the entire vanity top, which damaged some of the cabinet inside. If I remember correctly the vanity top was fastened to the cabinet with red Robertson screws. I was able to lift the vanity top up a little bit on the front edge which allowed me to get my hand underneath and loosen off the water lines and tap nuts. I believe I used needle nose pliers just to break the nuts loose. I then installed a regular Moen bathroom tap that you would use in your house. You can install braided flex lines on the new tap so that the water connectors are lower in the cabinet and more accessible.
autoguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #71
Dr Travel

Fixed at last, fixed at last...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3371.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	160347

Name:	IMG_3372.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	444.0 KB
ID:	160348

Name:	IMG_3374.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	160349

Name:	IMG_3375.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	287.2 KB
ID:	160350

Name:	IMG_3378.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	160351

Yes!! We have running hot and cold water in our bathroom and with a single faucet handle faucet. Works great!!!

So, here is what I did.

1. Below the sink there is a shelf. That shelf made it extremely difficult to access anything (not to mention all connections are jammed against the exterior wall.)

2. Below that shelf is an opening for dropping dirty clothes into a laundry basket accessed from outside. That opening provides EASY access to all the pipes/hoses.

3. I cut the cold and hot water hoses (after turning the water off...)

4. By doing so, I was able to turn the nuts that connect the hoses to the faucet. So I could then disconnect the cut hoses.

5. That also allowed me to reach up and undo the large nuts that hold the faucet to the countertop.

6. Removed the old broken faucet.

7. Slipped the new faucet into place, and tightened the nuts to keep it in place.

8. Screwed the cut hoses onto the new faucet and tightened up good.

9. Inserted a coupling with turn-off valves into the hot water hose, and clamped it tight.

10. Inserted a coupling with a turn off valve into the cold water faucet, and used a different clamp that could be tightened with both a screw driver and a wrench.

11. Turned the water back on. Tightened the cold water clamp again, with a wrench.

12. Later that afternoon, mopped up a small puddle in the dirty clothes hamper floor, and tightened the cold water clamp one last time.

And job done. No leaks. Faucet is perfect.

It was actually far easier than I anticipated. Sometimes the easiest solution is the most difficult to see. Sure appreciate all the input. Perhaps my trials will help someone else out along the way.

I cannot claim the turn-off valve idea as my own. It was recommended by a neighbor. Why not? he said. Why not indeed.

Old 01-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #72
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Good job!
Photos?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:53 PM   #73
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsshots View Post
Sometimes the easiest solution is the most difficult to see.
X2^^^ Congratulations on the new faucet.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #74
Dr Travel

photos posted, sorry I forgot on the original post!

Old 01-17-2018, 01:59 PM   #75
Dr Travel

Talking

Thanks!

Old 01-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsshots View Post
Thanks!

Wow Rob!!!! Impressive!!!! More than I would attempt!
Old 01-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #77

Congratulations on a nice, finished job. Thanks for the pictures and procedure.

Tags
bathroom, faucet, roo