Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #1

Question Battery question

After having my TT battery stolen, leads cut, while the trailer was in my front yard, I now store the lead-acid battery in our detached 2-car garage on a float charger. No vehicles in the garage. It's used for woodworking and tool storage. The caps are off per the float charger instructions. I couldn't find an answer in an online search to my question: Since the battery gasses off, and that is flammable, would there be any issue with using table saws, sanders, planers, air compressors, etc.?
IamJean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

A FLA battery off-gases highly flammable/explosive gases while being charged. With your caps off and the battery not enclosed in a vented container/area, should those gases happen to concentrate near a spark... KA-BOOM. (think brushes in a motor for instance) Also, the tools you mentioned produce a lot of dust/dirt. With your caps off... just sayin'. While all those chances are slim... it is a possibility nonetheless.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
A FLA battery off-gases highly flammable/explosive gases while being charged. With your caps off and the battery not enclosed in a vented container/area, should those gases happen to concentrate near a spark... KA-BOOM. (think brushes in a motor for instance) Also, the tools you mentioned produce a lot of dust/dirt. With your caps off... just sayin'. While all those chances are slim... it is a possibility nonetheless.
I agree it might be a concern if the spark was real close but the gas given off from a charging battery is Hydrogen. It dissipates quickly as it's lighter than air. Also, a trickle charger will not cause the battery to boil and release large quantities of Hydrogen rapidly so the risk is far less.

I would use common sense and keep my "sparking" devices as far away as possible but other than that not be overly concerned.

As for "caps off", I haven't seen people do that with trickle chargers. Especially when the batteries are continuously connected. Too much chance of contamination from airborne dust/dirt and even bugs.

Also, the cap acts somewhat as a Flame Arrestor. Should there be a spark that ignites any Hydrogen an open cell will allow the flame to enter the battery and cause a bigger issue. With the cap(s) in place the flame should stop at the orifice or baffle.

Last thought, under the hood of your motor vehicles there are numerous sources if ignition near your charging battery. Not considered a hazard there as long as any Hydrogen has a means of escaping.

Bigger hazard in your shop are the power tools. I just got in a fight with a power tool and it resulted in three badly bruised fingers (maybe even one broken one). My "Driving Finger" is now twice the normal size from second knuckle to tip but is getting better.

Batteries on a charger? Not even on my radar.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery