Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #1

Below freezing tonight!

The temperature is predicted to be below freezing for about 6 hours tonight. Do i need to drain the water lines and hot water heater?
Old 11-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #2

How cold are we talking here?
jb3-7-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #3

Are you using the camper? If you are, just unhook water hose and bring it in. It would be the first to freeze. Open the cabinet doors and get some of your heat in there. You should be fine.

If the camper is sitting, heat it up well during the day with some heat and it should last through the 6 hours of freezing temps.

If you can't get to the camper, as long as it is well above freezing for most of the day, it should also be fine.

If the temp is hovering just above the freezing mark for most of the day and then getting below freezing in the night, Iwould probably run some pink stuff through the lines or at least open the low-point drains to drain the water out of the lines.

Just my $.02 worth here.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #4

The low is expected to be 29F. The camper is in storage. I need to go get it I am going to do something. I am hoping for one more camping trip next weekend. the temp predicted to not drop below freezing for the rest of the week.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #5

This forum will not allow .XLS files to be attached, so here is a screenshot with your estimated conditions. I can send the file via email if you would like, just let me know. Keep in mind this is for steel, not plastic. The spreadsheet will ask for the specifics of your pipe once you tell it to calculate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freezeup Picture.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	65721  
Old 11-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #6

Below freezing tonight!

Oh, and you'll notice I guessed at the temp and put in 26 instead of 29. I can run it again if you would like. Like Merry said, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Old 11-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
WFD

With a forecast of 29...you should be fine. Keep in mind that typically it won't reach that 29 mark till just before sunrise...normally when there is frost forecast, the temp will drop a couple degrees just before the sun comes up, and it will rebound quickly once sun is up. Also your hot water tank is insulated, so with it getting to just 29, that wont freeze whats in the hot water tank. Its in storage so obviously you aren't concerned about any city water connection or sewer connections. Your plumbing inside the trailer will be fine as it will be a few degrees warmer inside the trailer than out.