Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2024, 03:58 PM   #1

Bent Black Water Tank Pull Handle

Hey yall, I have a 2023 No Boundaries 20.3. Just wrapped up a trip today and when I was emptying the black water tank, I bent the rod thats attached to the handle closing it. Question, is this an easy fix? hoping I can just order the part, unscrew old rod, and screw in new one....Or, do I have to cut the underbelly and access the valve itself to replace something more robust?

Any advice would be great. I was able to force it closed for the time being.
jordanzwon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 04:12 PM   #2

I feel your pain. I bent the handle on my Ibex last fall, but not so severely that I couldn't get it straightened out. It was not perfect, but I got it 99% closed. Once home, I opened it, straightened it as close to perfect as I could. Then I sprayed lube on the shaft and exercised it a lot, keeping the lube on it. It now operates easier and seems to close further than it did when new.

It sounds like you bent yours similarly to mine so try to straighten it a little bit at a time. Then lube it with a dry PTFE lube then work it to try to get the lubrication in the cable some.

These valves have 6 foot cables (at least mine is) and no easy way to access the valve.

--------
2022 Ibex 19RBM
2022 Ram 2500
antolod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 04:32 PM   #3

Valve...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanzwon1 View Post
Hey yall, I have a 2023 No Boundaries 20.3. Just wrapped up a trip today and when I was emptying the black water tank, I bent the rod thats attached to the handle closing it. Question, is this an easy fix? hoping I can just order the part, unscrew old rod, and screw in new one....Or, do I have to cut the underbelly and access the valve itself to replace something more robust?

Any advice would be great. I was able to force it closed for the time being.
The 3" valve is available inexpensively on Amazon.
  • Drain the tank.
  • Unscrew the four bolts on the valve.
  • Loosen the four bolts on the 1-1/2" gray water valve to give you a little slack.
  • Slide out the old black water valve.
  • Slide in the new one.
  • Replace and tighten all eight nuts and bolts.
  • Connect cables if necessary.
Should take less than an hour.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2024, 04:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by antolod View Post
I feel your pain. I bent the handle on my Ibex last fall, but not so severely that I couldn't get it straightened out. It was not perfect, but I got it 99% closed. Once home, I opened it, straightened it as close to perfect as I could. Then I sprayed lube on the shaft and exercised it a lot, keeping the lube on it. It now operates easier and seems to close further than it did when new.

It sounds like you bent yours similarly to mine so try to straighten it a little bit at a time. Then lube it with a dry PTFE lube then work it to try to get the lubrication in the cable some.

These valves have 6 foot cables (at least mine is) and no easy way to access the valve.

Yeah there is no hope, I canít even get the valve back open. I pulled and pulled, wonít budget. Iíll just take it into my local RV place and have them do it.
jordanzwon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 04:56 PM   #5

You can do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanzwon1 View Post
Yeah there is no hope, I canít even get the valve back open. I pulled and pulled, wonít budget. Iíll just take it into my local RV place and have them do it.
They won't do anything you can't do if you are reasonably handy with hand tools.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 06:35 PM   #6
Fla5er

Depending on the deal you made with the dealer (bought the rig within the standard one year warranty) the dealer should be able to repair it. If you bought an extended warranty, they may be able to help with the repairs too.
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent, black, black water, tank, water, water tank