Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #1

Best way for winterizing?

Howdy all!
This is my first post here after many days trying to read everything here. We purchased a new 2014 23LB a few weeks before Labor Day and was able to make our annual Labor Day W/E camping trip in our new beautiful trailer. Now that fall is just around the corner I am wondering if I should use the winter antifreeze method or the compressed air method to get my trailer ready for the cold. Any inputs from anybody?
Are we having fun yet??
tipakajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:15 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums first of all, hope you find what you need.

winterizing - Forest River Forums - Threads Tagged with Winterizing

I'm gonna pink it myself.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #3

I drained everything from the low point drains, removed the anode then replaced, blew out the lines and then put about 5 gallons of anti freeze in the fresh water tank. Pumped pure pink through all of the lines.
It's much cheaper than damage from leaks or split ? from freezing.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #4

Antifreeze into the fresh tank is not recommended. Most new units have a bypass system on the pump to draw directly from the pink jugs. Makes it much easier when you open up in the spring. Just be sure to drain the fresh tank and water heater and open low point drains. Then close the low points and bypass the water heater and open the bypass at the pump and draw the pink into the lines at each faucet. If you have a water filter you should remove the filter and replace the canister before pumping the pink.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #5

Drive south till the temp hits at least 60 and park. But if that isn't an option then follow the great advice above.
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipakajohn View Post
Now that fall is just around the corner I am wondering if I should use the winter antifreeze method or the compressed air method to get my trailer ready for the cold. Any inputs from anybody?
Re: Air, AF (or both), I really think its a case of six of one and half a dozen of the other when it comes to this decision. Both work well. Some people even do a hybrid approach (compressed air and AF).

Here is a select grouping of winterizing threads that are helpful.

Welcome to the forum

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #7

Triguy
That's what I was asking. Both types would work but it seems to me that blowing the lines with a little af in the traps would be easier to flush in the spring.

Thanks all for your input.
Are we having fun yet??
tipakajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #8

"Antifreeze into the fresh tank is not recommended"
Sure it is. It says to do so on the directions on the jug. AF is GRAS (generally regarded as safe)
"Most new units have a bypass system on the pump to draw directly from the pink jugs."
Most?
I disagree.
I do it the easiest way.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
"Antifreeze into the fresh tank is not recommended"
Sure it is. It says to do so on the directions on the jug. AF is GRAS (generally regarded as safe)
"Most new units have a bypass system on the pump to draw directly from the pink jugs."
Most?
I disagree.
I do it the easiest way.
If you drain the fw tank, why waste the antifreeze? Same with the other tanks. When we winterized in Moline & Bolingbrook, IL, I just used compressed air, drained the water heater and poured antifreeze in all the traps and stored the water pump in the house. Now, we just go to FL when the temp here in NC gets down to 40° and stay until mid Mar.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #10

OK OC has the best plan except my family would eventually wonder where I had gotten to.
I blow the lines with air then add pink stuff. Before acting, make a plan starting furthest from the compressed air input. Too often a post on the forum starts "I thought I got I'll the taps, but...". Outside shower, sink, inside shower to the shower head, drain points, etc. Make a list, check it twice...
Last year I did add half a gallon to the FW tank to winterize that line but this year I want to try blowing it out completely.

Next challenge will be getting ready to keep the mice out but that is a different thread.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #11

Stuff any holes with steel wool.
And I do mean any, no matter how small.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #12

I just winterized ours yesterday, took about 15 minutes and 2 gallons of -50 RV antifreeze. After draining all water out of the lines and hot water tank, I bypass the water tank, then drain the water filter cannister, remove filter if there (mine is gone) and replace it with an empty plastic water bottle. Put the cannister back on the mount, remove the input to the water pump, screw on bypass hose and put other end into RV antifreeze jug. Turn on the water pump, and then open all sink faucets, shower faucets, and run the toilet until it is the colour of the antifreeze. Once complete, turn off pump, remove pressure in lines, undo filter cannister and drain out antifreeze (should be only 1/3 full due to empty water bottle taking up space). Replace all lines onto pump ready for next year.

I put moth balls around our tires, and have sealed up any and all holes underneath with foam insulation, and put 2 traps inside on the floor, hopefully the little critters will stay out. Whatever you do, don't use poison or you'll be smelling dead mouse for months.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #13

Hummmmmm!

One valve water heater bypass.

Simple drain plug on water heater, anode can wait.

Big knobs on main slide rail plug two big holes I was worried about.

This is NOT "camping" but I LIKE IT!!!!!

Tags
winter, winterize