Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2021, 01:26 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Chrisontheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 6
Bizarre Plumbing on Coachmen Clipper

Hey all, recently we purchased a 2017 Clipper 17fq. Doing our prep for camping today we sanitized the water tank and lines and went on to dump the gray and black tanks and had a lot of trouble due to the drain pointing upwards working against gravity as opposed to horizontal or downward . I noticed that when we picked her up but I didnít question it as I thought there was a reason for the angle itís on, but now I donít think thatís the case and itís a strange mistake of some sort. Have any of you run into something like this before or know why it is set up this way? Thank you in advance.
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5D31F62F-726F-434A-A836-801066FF800E.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	266194   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCD616CA-FC60-4BEC-82C0-4DC2B4824B49.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	343.5 KB
ID:	266195   Click image for larger version

Name:	B6281AF9-C3A8-4B7F-99A2-1F6B5DDD16FA.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	391.7 KB
ID:	266196   Click image for larger version

Name:	CEAC6A61-1500-4615-9A9A-7E51F91EFB47.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	359.2 KB
ID:	266197  
Chrisontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
SeaDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Idaho
Posts: 10,638
welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. looks like it was done this way to provide clearance for the valve handles form the ground.
__________________
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab) 10/04 - 05/20
2017 RAM 2500 CC 4X4 Cummins Diesel
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:10 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Zephyrhills FL
Posts: 812
On some RV’s that connector will rotate, try to push it down to where you would like it to be for dumping, then you can rotate it up when connecting or disconnecting the hose to make it easier to grip and prevent drips.
__________________
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS
2020 Ford Ranger
DougW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:50 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Chrisontheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 6
Thank you I canít wait to learn about all things camper, and hoped contribute something along the way! I suppose it could be for blade valve handle clearance, but couldnít the drain pipe still be oriented downwards with the handles set up the same way? Looks like 4 thru bolts on each side and the whole assembly can be re oriented downwards, I may go that route if possible. If anyone has experience working on the sewer system and valves Iíd love to hear about it. I will try and orient the pipe down by hand first to see if it is a rotating model when I get her back from inspection today. The water that stays in the pipe from it pointing up is what bothers me because here in the northeast itís already beginning to dip below freezing at night. Thanks again for the helpful responses.
Chrisontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 5,196
Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisontheroad View Post
Thank you I canít wait to learn about all things camper, and hoped contribute something along the way! I suppose it could be for blade valve handle clearance, but couldnít the drain pipe still be oriented downwards with the handles set up the same way? Looks like 4 thru bolts on each side and the whole assembly can be re oriented downwards, I may go that route if possible. If anyone has experience working on the sewer system and valves Iíd love to hear about it. I will try and orient the pipe down by hand first to see if it is a rotating model when I get her back from inspection today. The water that stays in the pipe from it pointing up is what bothers me because here in the northeast itís already beginning to dip below freezing at night. Thanks again for the helpful responses.
It looks to me like the assemblers were careless when they bonded the flanges to the short pipes. I imagine they are bonded with ABS pipe cement and will NOT rotate.

As you suggest, you could:
  • Remove the four bolts from the flanges on EACH SIDE
  • Leave the valve handles in the SAME ORIENTATION as they are now
  • Rotate the tee with the outlet downward 90 degrees.
As I see it, you are only looking at maybe a cup of liquid being retained now. I don't see it as a big deal, but if you are concerned, there's no harm in rotating the tee, and you can always put it back.

The seals on the valve slides are heavy rubber. They won't tear when you remove the tee, and they can be reused without issues. They usually stay in place, so you won't have any problem with reassembly.
__________________
Larry

Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:13 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bethlehem, Pa
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisontheroad View Post
Hey all, recently we purchased a 2017 Clipper 17fq. Doing our prep for camping today we sanitized the water tank and lines and went on to dump the gray and black tanks and had a lot of trouble due to the drain pointing upwards working against gravity as opposed to horizontal or downward . I noticed that when we picked her up but I didn’t question it as I thought there was a reason for the angle it’s on, but now I don’t think that’s the case and it’s a strange mistake of some sort. Have any of you run into something like this before or know why it is set up this way? Thank you in advance.
Chris
I have a 17FQ, the valve will rotate down, it’s a little hard to move
Tedmuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisontheroad View Post
Thank you I canít wait to learn about all things camper, and hoped contribute something along the way! I suppose it could be for blade valve handle clearance, but couldnít the drain pipe still be oriented downwards with the handles set up the same way? Looks like 4 thru bolts on each side and the whole assembly can be re oriented downwards, I may go that route if possible. If anyone has experience working on the sewer system and valves Iíd love to hear about it. I will try and orient the pipe down by hand first to see if it is a rotating model when I get her back from inspection today. The water that stays in the pipe from it pointing up is what bothers me because here in the northeast itís already beginning to dip below freezing at night. Thanks again for the helpful responses.
you can rotate the center piece with the bonnet fitting down shouldn't even have to loosen the bolts to do it . it was a poor install as they have the handles pointing down which reduces your all ready low ground clearance . just bad quality control and people who install not caring .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:04 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Chrisontheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
It looks to me like the assemblers were careless when they bonded the flanges to the short pipes. I imagine they are bonded with ABS pipe cement and will NOT rotate.

As you suggest, you could:
  • Remove the four bolts from the flanges on EACH SIDE
  • Leave the valve handles in the SAME ORIENTATION as they are now
  • Rotate the tee with the outlet downward 90 degrees.
As I see it, you are only looking at maybe a cup of liquid being retained now. I don't see it as a big deal, but if you are concerned, there's no harm in rotating the tee, and you can always put it back.

The seals on the valve slides are heavy rubber. They won't tear when you remove the tee, and they can be reused without issues. They usually stay in place, so you won't have any problem with reassembly.
I really hope that isnít the case but if it is, then thank you for letting me know the steps entailed in adjusting it, I will do exactly as you described if need be.
Chrisontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:06 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Chrisontheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedmuff View Post
I have a 17FQ, the valve will rotate down, itís a little hard to move
Excellent news thank you and hope youíre enjoying your Clipper!
Chrisontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:11 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Chrisontheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
you can rotate the center piece with the bonnet fitting down shouldn't even have to loosen the bolts to do it . it was a poor install as they have the handles pointing down which reduces your all ready low ground clearance . just bad quality control and people who install not caring .
I will give a go tomorrow when I get home from work, have to grease bearings and calibrate the new wdh before our maiden voyage this weekend. I agree poor install, I knew enough about campers before this purchase to know that the majority of them arenít built to the best standards, all one can do is be as knowledgeable as possible and deal with things as they come. Thatís whatís great about places like this. Iíll update tomorrow just to let everyone know what happened in the end!
Chrisontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 01:53 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Chrisontheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 6
Update- The drain rotates! Problem solved by the helpful members here. Hopefully this thread will help new Coachman Clipper owners in the future that have the same confusion. Thank you all again!
Chrisontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
plumbing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.