RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 09-20-2020, 12:55 PM   #1

Black and Gray water tank shape

I am working on making a portable dump system and have a tank I bought for the project.

My question is the shape. See picture. Are all tanks made this way? Based on my experience with two trailers I would say no.

This tank is built with an incline towards the opening. This makes perfect sense.

Anyone seen any other type?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200920_133726[1].jpg
Views:	47
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	239589  
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #2

I believe most black tanks are this way. It has been a problem for some models whose toilet is on the low side as a pyramid builds up quickly on a shallow bottom. I cannot speak to gray tanks but I imagine they are the same as well. Fresh water tanks are not this way from my experience.

I am very curious about your project so please share more when you get things going and have time.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I believe most black tanks are this way. It has been a problem for some models whose toilet is on the low side as a pyramid builds up quickly on a shallow bottom. I cannot speak to gray tanks but I imagine they are the same as well. Fresh water tanks are not this way from my experience.

I am very curious about your project so please share more when you get things going and have time.
Thanks for the reply. This tank is made to use for black and gray.

As to my project. We camp almost exclusively at state and COE campgrounds. Most don't have full hookups. We have 2 gray tanks and one black tank. The gray tank for the kitchen fills up after no more than 3 days and the bathroom maybe 4 days. The obvious answer is one of the commercial "honey tanks" for frequent dumping.

First they stupid expensive for what they are.

Second some of our camp sites are up to a mile or more from the dump station. I don't know how long they would last with that kind of mileage.

So, I am contemplating carrying the tank I bought in back of the truck empty. Until needed. I carry very little in the bed of truck besides some lawn chairs.

I have a maceration pump. The tank. and some good hoses and connectors and caps etc. Need some venting capability. And some more little parts I am sure.

Anyway that is it. Any comments and suggestions? Would be appreciated.

Have fun!
Old 09-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #4

Tank Shape

An FYI. If anyone is interested.

Not all tanks are made with the slope. In fact! Geeeee who designed this tank????? The bottom of the tank is bowed toward the center. I can imagine a couple of gallons being captured there after dumping. And in the black tank.......well dont imagine for two long.

Or better yet who would install this tank in their line of Trailers?????
Yes, this is my 2020 Surveyor Luxury HAHA! Thanks Forrest River.

This explains a lot about why my tanks are never really empty UGHHHHH!

Seriously, this is ridiculous.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200920_183112.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	239724   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200920_183030.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	239725  
Old 09-23-2020, 06:55 AM   #5

Plastic tanks bow a little when full, and a lot when pressurized. On our houseboat, the vent clogged and the pressure bent two heavy duty 3" angle iron supports.

I put a tank in my truck to be able to haul away the grey water. I bougt an extra Shurflo pump, hose fittings, and some tubing to pump from the drain to the truck tank. I used an OATEY ABS Plain In-Line Vent, 1 1/2 in Thread Size. I was camped right next to a lake, and didn't want to drain the tank close to the lake. I used PVC pipe and a flexible hose to drain the waste tank. I never pumped black water, but we stayed a week with 6 people and didn't overflow that tank. If you're hauling black water, you'll want to be sure there isn't the possibility of a leak. I used an old water tank, so I could see when it was full. You'll want to make sure your extra tank is at least as large as the trailer tank you're draining. I'd build a plywood support for the tank so the top is level and the bottom doesn't bow. That way it will drain well. If you've used a macerator pump, you might be able to use a garden hose to drain your tote.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:08 PM   #6

I frequently slightly raise the main side of my 2015 Silverback 29re, after dumping the black tank. That process typically releases more contents from the black tank,
WyomingJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnoland30 View Post
Plastic tanks bow a little when full, and a lot when pressurized. On our houseboat, the vent clogged and the pressure bent two heavy duty 3" angle iron supports.

I put a tank in my truck to be able to haul away the grey water. I bougt an extra Shurflo pump, hose fittings, and some tubing to pump from the drain to the truck tank. I used an OATEY ABS Plain In-Line Vent, 1 1/2 in Thread Size. I was camped right next to a lake, and didn't want to drain the tank close to the lake. I used PVC pipe and a flexible hose to drain the waste tank. I never pumped black water, but we stayed a week with 6 people and didn't overflow that tank. If you're hauling black water, you'll want to be sure there isn't the possibility of a leak. I used an old water tank, so I could see when it was full. You'll want to make sure your extra tank is at least as large as the trailer tank you're draining. I'd build a plywood support for the tank so the top is level and the bottom doesn't bow. That way it will drain well. If you've used a macerator pump, you might be able to use a garden hose to drain your tote.
Thanks for the reply and feedback.

Unfortunately, these tanks were empty and fairly new. Trailer was bought in January. They really looked like they were built that way. But I have been wrong once this year already.

I am building mine pretty much like you outlined. I found some 33 gallon tanks and my tanks in the trailer are 30 gallon. I will be careful the first couple of times. And I hope to not need to dump the black this way. But I did buy a macerating pump.

Thanks again!

Tags
black, tank, water, water tank