Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #1

Black/Gray tank fell out, HELP

My black tank fell out of the flimsy "L" brackets. I have a couple of question for any of the experts. 1) the tank came out of the support on one end of the tank, dropping about 3-4 inches, what is the probability of damage to the toilet connection? 2) I jacked the tank back up into the bracket and secured it with more 1 X 4 boards under the tank, so what is an easy way to inspect the toilet flange connection (I don't really know how the toilet connection is made) without taking the entire tank out? 3) If I have to take the tank out, how is the plumbing connected from tank to floor?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Matheny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:00 PM   #2

Sounds like you have a decent repair job going on. As to understanding just how this flange is attached to the toilet, I'd say remove the toil and take a look with a flashlight to get a better look at how the tank lines up in the hole for the flange and then go from there.

I'm sure other members may have a better solution for your circumstance
Old 11-28-2020, 06:24 PM   #3
Site Team

I agree with tapex, take a look down the toilet stack and see if everything is lined up.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:36 AM   #4

Not a repair guy, but what if you filled the tank and checked for leaks?
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 06:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Not a repair guy, but what if you filled the tank and checked for leaks?
Rusty
Since the OP appears to already have the underbelly exposed and any fiberglass insulation removed, this would be a sure fire way to find out. It would also serve as a test of the integrity of the OP’s new black tank support system.

I wouldn’t suggest doing this if the OP has already put the insulation and Coroplast back in place, though. I would do as has already been suggested — pull the toilet and take a look with a flashlight or, if the toilet doesn’t dump directly into the top of the tank, a bore scope.

Bruce
Old 11-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matheny9 View Post
My black tank fell out of the flimsy "L" brackets. I have a couple of question for any of the experts. 1) the tank came out of the support on one end of the tank, dropping about 3-4 inches, what is the probability of damage to the toilet connection? 2) I jacked the tank back up into the bracket and secured it with more 1 X 4 boards under the tank, so what is an easy way to inspect the toilet flange connection (I don't really know how the toilet connection is made) without taking the entire tank out? 3) If I have to take the tank out, how is the plumbing connected from tank to floor?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Did I miss a post? I think it would be helpful to know what type of RV this is, i.e., a motor coach or trailer, as well as the year and model.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcat View Post
Did I miss a post? I think it would be helpful to know what type of RV this is, i.e., a motor coach or trailer, as well as the year and model.
The OP's profile clearly shows a 2016 Coachmen Chaparral trailer.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #8

Ours did that the flange at the tank and toilet had to be replaced also
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahcat View Post
Guess I'm as uninformed as you. I don't see any of this on his post or profile.

Good thing we have a retired hose dragger to politely explain things to us.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:59 PM   #10

If the tank is empty of waste I'd just fill to the brim, even up into the dump tube from the toilet, and see if there are any leaks. This will also test the max weight bearing capacity of your repairs. Better in your yard/driveway than going down the highway.

If waste is still in the tank use a 5 gallon bucket to ferry waste from dump valve to toilet, then do the water test.

Whether or not damage was done will depend on type of connection. If a "slip in" then maybe not. If a stub was spin welded to the tank and a hose/clamp connection made, good chance something broke.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #11

Found this. Could be a bit dated.

https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...elp-17689.html
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Sifter View Post
Guess I'm as uninformed as you. I don't see any of this on his post or profile.

Good thing we have a retired hose dragger to politely explain things to us.
Dirt

Click on the Op's name, then on personnel profile, then 'About Me', this shows details on him and his trailer.

Harvey
Harvey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:09 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey9 View Post
Dirt

Click on the Op's name, then on personnel profile, then 'About Me', this shows details on him and his trailer.

Harvey
It's even easier with the green app. Just tap on the member's green username and their whole profile shows up, depending on how much the member filled out. That's why it's constantly suggested for new members to fill out their profile. So they don't have to keep posting their RV information.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
It's even easier with the green app. Just tap on the member's green username and their whole profile shows up, depending on how much the member filled out. That's why it's constantly suggested for new members to fill out their profile. So they don't have to keep posting their RV information.
Thanks, Harvey9, much more practical info. Not everyone uses a smart phone, or wants to share access to all the information apps seem to feel they need to help folks.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #15

Just a suggestion since you have it apart you might want to consider replacing the tank sensors with something better for less false readings. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to do.
Good Luck

DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The OP's profile clearly shows a 2016 Coachmen Chaparral trailer.
I don't see that information listed anywhere in the OP's post. Where did you get that which you state is so clear to you; yet invisible to the rest of us?
Old 11-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
I don't see that information listed anywhere in the OP's post. Where did you get that which you state is so clear to you; yet invisible to the rest of us?
Wasn't mentioned in his post. Click on "his name", click "view public profile", click "about me".
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:48 PM   #18

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by latner View Post
Wasn't mentioned in his post. Click on "his name", click "view public profile", click "about me".
Ya learn something every day o this site!

But the OP should fill out his signature so all that is not necessary. Or many who would have helpful suggestions will not have enough information to help him.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:29 PM   #19
MaPaChoo

Our closet flange (where the toilet meets the floor) is screwed to the floor to keep it secure. The toilet pipe 3" is glued to the flange then runs into the black tank through a rubber gasket. The original gasket was sealed with dicor on the outside not on the mating surfaces. I will tell you it's a bear to get loose pulling it out of the gasket. The pipe extended probably 4 or so inches into The gasket.if you look down the toilet and see tank its probably still in place. I can't tell you about the vent pipe as ours is in a wall. Fill the tank and see what happens. But I think I would make sure it's hooked up to sewer as you may need to dump it fast if there is a leak. Sorry it took so long to respond. I was pulling our toilet apart and wanted to give you the best info I had available. Now ours is a 2007 class c and your in a trailer but manufactures tend to stick with what works good luck
Old 12-07-2020, 08:25 PM   #20

The same happened to me on my 2017 8327SS on both the fresh tank and black tank. Fortunately there was no damage to the flange or vent that I know of. I have used the unit for the last 2 seasons with no issues. Sorry I don't have any pictures readily available of my repairs but I can tell you that they will never fall out again!
Xzena3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, tank