Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2022, 12:40 PM   #1

Black Tank Drains, Toilet often clogs

We have a 2021 Sabre 37FBT and had (have?) an issue with our bathroom toilet (which does not go straight down into the black tank but at a 45 degree angle, can't see to the tank. The tank has always drained easily as we always flush it after draining. The toilet has backed up several times and with the angle of the pipe from the toilet to the tank I never feel that I get to or past any blockage (hose hits the side or bottom and goes no further). It just seems to clear, like there was a valve was closed and suddenly opens. Doing some work camping so haven't been on the road for 3 months. We use the biodegradable paper, fill the tank with 5 gal of water after a flush, use Dawn and Borax, flush with plenty of water, ... but must be missing something. Sometimes the toilet drains slow and when we flush (with about 2" of water in the bowl) we get the air bubble back blow which to me indicates a blockage before the vent. I am out of ideas other than some material/manufacturing defect. Any thoughts before I call for service (have to have on-site, we are full-timers)?
WHBIntl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 12:48 PM   #2
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
On the boat there was a sign "Nothing goes in the head (toilet) unless you've eaten it first". Had no problems with plugged head in 12 years.
I've had spetic tanks, city water with on site maceration and 8 different campers. Even with a flushable wipe user all these years (not in the RVs though) I've never had an issue. Toilet paper is made to be flushed, I'm not putting poop in my trash can LOL! Everyone is entitled to do as they wish, but it's a preference and not a need. Prevention and maintenance are the key to any system! Just for information, the most common harmful things people put in any septic system are grease and many types of detergents!
Old 04-02-2022, 12:51 PM   #3
New here, old elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHBIntl View Post
We have a 2021 Sabre 37FBT and had (have?) an issue with our bathroom toilet (which does not go straight down into the black tank but at a 45 degree angle, can't see to the tank. The tank has always drained easily as we always flush it after draining. The toilet has backed up several times and with the angle of the pipe from the toilet to the tank I never feel that I get to or past any blockage (hose hits the side or bottom and goes no further). It just seems to clear, like there was a valve was closed and suddenly opens. Doing some work camping so haven't been on the road for 3 months. We use the biodegradable paper, fill the tank with 5 gal of water after a flush, use Dawn and Borax, flush with plenty of water, ... but must be missing something. Sometimes the toilet drains slow and when we flush (with about 2" of water in the bowl) we get the air bubble back blow which to me indicates a blockage before the vent. I am out of ideas other than some material/manufacturing defect. Any thoughts before I call for service (have to have on-site, we are full-timers)?
If you open the valve while you run water into the tank does it drain? Have you snaked down the vent pipe to make sure it's not blocked?
Old 04-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHBIntl View Post
You probably have the common Poo Pyramid problem. Putting 5 gallons of water in a black tank sometimes means the water will only be less than an inch deep, depending on the shape of your tank. You need more than that for the solids to float away from the pipe’s entry point to the tank. I would suggest you fill the tank with water, let it sit overnight then dump and flush. You may need to do that more than once to get it cleared out good. After that make sure to use lots of water in the toilet.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 03:01 PM   #5

Take a look around

Get a sewer camera snake. Your plumber friend will have one or get one from the local Rent ALL place. Open the toilet flush valve and insert the camera snake and look around. If all look OK, then to the topside, remove the vent cap held on by one screw and do the same. If there is a blockage or obstruction you can see it and better know how to deal with it.

All the other approaches are just in the dark......try this, try that. Might work etc.

I agree with an earlier post, and one that was on our boat as well, "If you didn't eat or swallow it first, don't put it in the toilet".

And just because it is NEW.......that does not assure that it works or it is good.
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 03:04 PM   #6

Advice was Good. But didn't say what you look for. A pipe too long which intrudes in to tank too far. The cut outs from drinking the hole in the tank to which the pipe fittings are attached are the two thoughts I have heard about. I suspect there are other possibilities. Camera will help you decide.
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote