Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2023, 12:48 PM   #1

Black tank empties, toilet will not flush

Hello - didn't think it was near time to empty the black tank again, but it stopped flushing. So I emptied the black tank, but the toilet still won't flush.
Should I try a plumbers helper? Or do a tank flush? Or call The Guy?
I've been living in this RV full time for 18 months; I leave the black tank closed, and empty it about once a week.
Thanks
2021 Riverstone Reserve 3850RK,
mlagrange56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 01:23 PM   #2

Help by describing the event better.

Does no flush mean you press the flush pedal and no water flows into the bowl. Often there is debris in the screen in the flush valve, or it is broken.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:01 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Stopped flushing... meaning the crap won't go down the hole in the toilet or the toilet water doesn't enter the bowl?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:16 PM   #4

Does this toilet flush-- like a real toilet with a couple gallons of water. Or just drop whatever is in the bowl into the black tank with a trickle of water like a regular RV toilet?

-- Chuck
Old 01-23-2023, 05:22 PM   #5

Hello - thanks for your responses. I should have given more details...
This is a pedal flush toilet.
This morning, it flushed, but very slowly. When I pressed on the pedal again, it burped back up at me. So I went and pulled out the stop, and the TANK emptied.
But now, the toilet BOWL does not empty. I can press down on the pedal, and water goes in, but does not go out.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:24 PM   #6

Poop pyramid? In a stationary spot there may not be much sloshing going on.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:40 PM   #7

OK, it's not a conventional flush toilet as it doesn't use water pressure to move waste. The water just rinses the toilet. Waste movement ("flushing") is done by gravity like a fancy outhouse that only drops stuff a few inches into the tank. You can't use a plunger to clear it.
Quote:
A flush toilet (also known as a flushing toilet, water closet (WC) – see also toilet names) is a toilet that disposes of human waste (principally urine and feces) by using the force of water to flush it through a drainpipe to another location for treatment, either nearby or at a communal facility, thus maintaining a separation between humans and their waste. The opposite of a flush toilet is a dry toilet, which uses no water for flushing.
"White mountain" of toilet tissue directly under the toilet is one common blockage cause. Back tank needs to be hosed out to empty it. There are wands you can attach to a hose and stick down the toilet to break up the stuff.

-- Chuck
Old 01-23-2023, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlagrange56 View Post
Hello - thanks for your responses. I should have given more details...
This is a pedal flush toilet.
This morning, it flushed, but very slowly. When I pressed on the pedal again, it burped back up at me. So I went and pulled out the stop, and the TANK emptied.
But now, the toilet BOWL does not empty. I can press down on the pedal, and water goes in, but does not go out.
Do you use your black tank flush when you dump ? need to do that . the best way to get a toilet unclogged in RV and stir up poop pile is a 5 or 6' ft section of 1/2 pex bends enough to get through things yet stiff enough to break up and piles that may have accumulated .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 05:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaJoe View Post
Poop pyramid? In a stationary spot there may not be much sloshing going on.
Stationary or not no need to slosh anything around . black tank flush should take care of it . gong on 8 yrs of being in one spot for 4 to 6 months at a time and never had issues . Now full time in one spot and still no issues . Black tank flush and use of plenty of water when flushing . even up-graded to the thinker softer TP with no issues .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 05:51 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Is the bowl full?

If not, can you see the (usually) white ball opening in the bottom center of the toilet bowl?
We need to determine if something has happened to the foot pedal/bowl ball not opening or whether you have a clog below the ball.

If the bowl is full, you may need to do some cleaning into a bucket if you are not opposed to that. If you can't stomach it, you are going to need someone to look at it for you.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Forest River Forums mobile app

Old 01-23-2023, 07:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Is the bowl full?

If not, can you see the (usually) white ball opening in the bottom center of the toilet bowl?
We need to determine if something has happened to the foot pedal/bowl ball not opening or whether you have a clog below the ball.

If the bowl is full, you may need to do some cleaning into a bucket if you are not opposed to that. If you can't stomach it, you are going to need someone to look at it for you.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Forest River Forums mobile app

X2
Old 01-23-2023, 08:49 PM   #12

I trust one always adds water to the bowl before depositing solid waste. Usually, just a slight press on the peddle will add water and not open the dump valve at the bottom of the bowl. I suggest 2" to 3" of water depth at a minimum. In other words, never poop in a dry bowl.

One must have city water pressure or the internal water pump on in order for water to flow into the toilet. If water doesn't flow, there is a screen at the connection where the water line connects to the flush valve on the back of the toilet. May need to clean this. DO TURN off the city water and pump before disconnecting the water line. Otherwise, one will be cleaning the floor and more.

Press and hold the peddle all the way down. The flap valve in the bottom of the bowl should completely open and there should be about a 4" hole opening to the line to the black tank. If the valve does not completely open then the valve has jumped off of its rotating shaft. To repair, the toilet should be removed and turned upside down to access the dump valve assembly. Maybe someone put something in there that they had not eaten first. This may have damaged or blocked the valve keeping it from opening.

This is not a fun job. Latex gloves and face mask are suggested. Be prepared to have a waste container for paper towels and rags handy, along with a cleaning solution such as Fantastic or Clorox-based cleaner. Then when finished, wash hands, tools, and work surfaces with sanitizer.

The general rule is.......if it hasn't been eaten and swallowed first, don't put it in the toilet.

With the flush level depressed to the floor, shine a light down into the hole. See anything? Paper clog, poop pyramid, etc. As others have suggested, one may need to clean the black tank.

These toilets work on gravity and water. You can't do anything about gravity. So no water, no flush.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 09:20 PM   #13

Ok, it's fixed. I've been using regular toilet paper, flushable wipes, never done a black tank flush, and it took 18 months for it to finally clog up. Took one plunge from a regular plunger, and I can see all the way down the drain pipe now. I'll start doing a flush every time I empty the tank. I'll been using Bio-Pak pods, I'll keep doing that, too.

Thanks again for all your responses; they were a big help, as always.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:26 PM   #14

Flushable wipes are not suggested. Put them in a separate closed container.

I spent $2800 on our septic system repair due to flushable wipe usage. And we regularly use suggested chemicals for a septic system.

As to RV's, they are a holding tank system, very much unlike a septic system.

Glad to read you have the hopper working.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 11:03 PM   #15

From everything I've read (on the internet) flushable wipes are 100% NOT FLUSHABLE in any sewage system. Especially not septic or trailers. I've read of towns trying to ban them for clogging up the city's sewer plants. Be glad it took 18 months and only required a plunger.

Jim M.
jimmarako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 04:15 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Ok, it's fixed. I've been using regular toilet paper, flushable wipes, never done a black tank flush, and it took 18 months for it to finally clog up. Took one plunge from a regular plunger, and I can see all the way down the drain pipe now. I'll start doing a flush every time I empty the tank. I'll been using Bio-Pak pods, I'll keep doing that, too.

Flushable wipes is probably the main culprit. NEVER use them in a RV.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:04 AM   #17

"Flushable" wipes jammed my maceration pump -- a fun repair.

-- Chuck
Old 01-24-2023, 11:19 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

Flushable wipes are anything but flushable. Do not put them down ANY toilet!
Use them and throw in the trash and save yourself another clog.

Also, in a R/V toilet, water is your friend. Lots and lots of water.

Fill the bowl at least half way when doing #2 and then add more before flushing. Plenty of water will keep things moving.

Also, after dumping, add back in at least 5 gallons of water so you don't start out with a dry tank bottom.

Old 01-24-2023, 06:04 PM   #19
Enjoying Life

According to my friend, the plumber, flush-able wipes are the greatest invention. They allowed him to retire early in style!

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 09:09 PM   #20

ok, I'm starting to get the impression that I shouldn't be using flushable wipes...
Thanks again for your advice. It rained like a tropical storm here in Houston today, and I was able to use my own toilet. Gratitude...

Tags
black, black tank, flush, tank, toilet