Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

Question Black Tank Flush?

Merry Christmas to all!

We have enjoyed our 2008 Georgetown XL for the past four years with few hiccups along the way. We've travelled to 28 US states and all Canadian provinces, so we have some experience.

However, this has me stumped. The black tank flush hose appears to be plugged. Working fine and then a few days later almost like a valve has closed? I've tried both pressurizing and putting a vacuum on the line, no flow at all.

Any thoughts or ideas?

thanks
Ralph
RandL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #2

Sounds like the back flow check valve is stuck closed. Happened to me a few years ago. It is usually located up high in a sink or vanity cabinet. Easy DYI replacement.

Safe travels and Happy New Year to all.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #3

Where did you find yours and what does it look like?

Thanks
Ralph
Old 12-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandL View Post
Where did you find yours and what does it look like?

Thanks
Ralph
See this from 5picker. His appears to be under his bathroom sink. Mine is BEHIND THE SHOWER ENCLOSURE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Sometimes they hide them in 'not easy to get to' places.
This is what you are looking for.
Sometimes they are even plumbed backwards from the factory and nothing goes through them.
Often times the inexpensive plastic ones give problems.

They make good brass ones but I've never seen any from the factory with them.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

RandL.....

In our Georgetown....look way up high underneath your bathroom sink. If it’s still the original it will be clear plastic as opposed to the brass ones shown. It does it’s job when you use the black tank flush.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #6

In the GT 378 it's in the washer/dryer closet. Don't know what you have. Putting a vacuum at the outside port will only close off the vacuum breaker seal which is the input side and will do nothing.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone! Armed with pictures and a better idea of what I was looking for, I found it in the washer/dryer closet. We are full timers, so that closet is used for clothes, we can find laundry facilities wherever we are parked.

I took it off, banged it, thumped it, put it back in line and put out a call to our local "Fraserway" parts department.

Thanks again
Ralph
Old 12-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #8

Your problem is most likely going to be a clogged tank nozzle. Probably a paper clog. Happens a lot.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #9

Thanks, How do you "unclog" a plugged nozzle? Make sure the tank is full? Maybe go into the tank with a wand and spray the tank walls?

Ralph
Old 12-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #10

Mine clogged once and I was able to clear it by disconnecting the tank side from the backflow preventer and applying compressed air directly in the tubing (poured a little water in tube first). I adjusted my emptying routine and no more issues since 2012. I would have to remove the furnace to gain access to the tank where the valve is located on my GT and that is a pita. Others have been successful with other approaches. I'm only guessing the clogged nozzle is your issue because it is a straight shot from input port to the nozzle. The backflow preventer is between there of course but the GT clear preventer has not been an issue like the black one has been. Good luck. Don't know if the wand approach would work.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #11

So my back flow check valve must be closed too, I just used it for the second time and have water all over. is there a DIY fix for this ? or just get a new one be easier ?
ruddie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:28 PM   #12

so did you replace it or able to fix ? mine just started to leak all over.
ruddie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:23 AM   #13

Ours worked with no problem for four years. One day it decided to NOT work. I have ordered a new one, one to two weeks, I'll install and hopefully that solves my problem. Fortunately, our valve is very easy to access.
I also contacted the service rep for Forest River, Celestine Lopez. He responded immediately and sent some good information on how to access the black tank in case it was the nozzle that had plugged. I sure hope it isn't the nozzle.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandL View Post
Ours worked with no problem for four years. One day it decided to NOT work. I have ordered a new one, one to two weeks, I'll install and hopefully that solves my problem. Fortunately, our valve is very easy to access.
I also contacted the service rep for Forest River, Celestine Lopez. He responded immediately and sent some good information on how to access the black tank in case it was the nozzle that had plugged. I sure hope it isn't the nozzle.
Yours is easy to remove and just blow in the input port to see if it opens the output port. If you have the clear valve you can see how it works. If you can blow through it, it's not your issue.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:38 AM   #15

Partial success! I took the valve out and applied 120 PSI air pressure to the inlet side. Nothing at first and then a small amount of air started to come through. I hooked everything back together and can hear water flowing into the black tank, not anywhere near the amount that should. The new valve should arrive later this week or early next. I can only imagine how long to properly flush the tank. Fortunately it's supposed to stay above freezing for the next several days.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:15 AM   #16

Black Tank Flush?

I took mine out completely. I use a separate hose to flush my tank instead of the one I use to shower or wash up with. Much easier then messing with this stupid plastic part.

Being a plumber, the chances of back flush happening and going back into the hose are highly unlikely.
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 07:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
I took mine out completely. I use a separate hose to flush my tank instead of the one I use to shower or wash up with. Much easier then messing with this stupid plastic part.

Being a plumber, the chances of back flush happening and going back into the hose are highly unlikely.
Unless the Flush was installed like a LOT of people have done,running the hose almost LEVEL with the Tank and out to the side of Frame/Skirt area,instead of Elevated like the Factory! Youroo!!
Old 01-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Unless the Flush was installed like a LOT of people have done,running the hose almost LEVEL with the Tank and out to the side of Frame/Skirt area,instead of Elevated like the Factory! Youroo!!

Well yeah I would see a potential problem with that too.

I may even wear rubber gloves if I had that set up and playing in poo is my bread and butter.
Haha
SlfMdeFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #19

I think you will find those type installs are after market and the check valve (spray nozzle) is in the tank. One can either connect hose directly to the valve or install a remote connection. Doesn't have to be elevated. I installed one in a previous unit. Never had an issue with leaking or backflow for the 10 years I had the unit.

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank