Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2021, 12:10 PM   #1

Black tank flush and Sprayer port hose...

So maybe a stupid question but I've been told the only stupid questions are the ones not asked. Anyways...
So I have a black tank flush port on my camper. I also have an exterior sprayer port with quick disconnect and a blue coiled hose that has a nozzle attached. Is there anything I need to be concerned about with turning on the water pump, then unscrewing the nozzle and attaching the blue coiled hose to the black tank flush after dumping the black tank? I do know that I am to leave the black tank valve open when doing this also. I will admit that I did this on my last trip and it seemed to work well. I did try searching and came up empty.
Old 07-30-2021, 12:20 PM   #2

I have also done this when it was impossible to use the provided water hose.
People feel the hose is contaminated now that it was used for the black tank flush.
This has always confused me since if you have a dedicated hose for black flush and you connect it to the water supply at your site then your water supply is now contaminated. Im sure someone on this forum can explain where the contamination stops.
Old 08-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #3

The Tank flush has a built in check valve, and a rather strong one at that. As soon as water pressure is removed, it closes, preventing anything from backing up from the tank. In fact it closes BEFORE the water is fully turned off as there has been pressure in the hose with very little flow and the check valve at the faucet releases it.

Always use a check valve with the black tank at the faucet, and use a dedicated one for the black tank hose. I carry a can of Lysol spray and spray the fittings when done, just in case.

As far as the coiled hose, the risk is low, but anything is possible. If the BT check valve fails, it could contaminate the hose AND the FW plumbing in the camper itself. If you want to use it, I would consider getting a shutoff valve for the tank end and controlling water flow at the BT fitting so when you shut it off, it stops at the connection, then disconnect the quick connect end, then the BT end, and spray everything with lysol.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhrava View Post
The Tank flush has a built in check valve, and a rather strong one at that. As soon as water pressure is removed, it closes, preventing anything from backing up from the tank. In fact it closes BEFORE the water is fully turned off as there has been pressure in the hose with very little flow and the check valve at the faucet releases it.

Always use a check valve with the black tank at the faucet, and use a dedicated one for the black tank hose. I carry a can of Lysol spray and spray the fittings when done, just in case.

As far as the coiled hose, the risk is low, but anything is possible. If the BT check valve fails, it could contaminate the hose AND the FW plumbing in the camper itself. If you want to use it, I would consider getting a shutoff valve for the tank end and controlling water flow at the BT fitting so when you shut it off, it stops at the connection, then disconnect the quick connect end, then the BT end, and spray everything with lysol.
Totally unnecessary and useless scenario.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
The Tank flush has a built in check valve, and a rather strong one at that. As soon as water pressure is removed, it closes, preventing anything from backing up from the tank.
Correct. At first it's fine to leave black tank valve open as you flush, but for best flush, you then close black valve and let tank fill with fresh water before dumping again, you'll get a lot more out that way. I don't sit there for prolonged time letting water just run, you don't get a good flush that way and are kind of wasting water. Especially if you are using onboard water to flush with. And if you are doing all this while people are waiting behind you to dump, don't be that guy!

***Full attention to what you are doing while filling black tank for flush! You don't want to be the guy with poop coming out of your black tank vent stack (if you have one!)by letting water run too long.
Old 08-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #6

Does the E-Pro black tank flush inlet have a built-in one-way valve? How would I verify if it does?
Morgan_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:00 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

Yes, my understanding is all newer models that have the tank flush port have this valve. I still use a separate hose, though it's probably not necessary. Better safe than sorry.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:09 PM   #8

So I have a separate hose. So far I have performed my black tank flush during off hours at a dump station so as not to hold up the line.

The reason I asked about the certainty of an anti-backflow valve is because I have seen some posts and YouTube videos proposing using a y-fitting on the fresh water tap at the site. Connect one side to my City Water inlet and the other side to my blank tank flush inlet. The proposed purpose was so you can perform a blank tank flush at your site instead of slowing down the line at the dump station.

HOWEVER, I do not want to risk contaminating the park water supply. That is why I am very curious about the effectiveness of any built-in anti-backflow valve, or any after market anti-backflow valves that I could attach to the hose going to the flush inlet.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:16 PM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

I flush on site if I have full hookups. Best part of paying for full hookups. Typically you wouldn't do a flush till time to leave, unless you are there a long time. Waste of time and water. I bring a Y adaptor, but never end up using it because I don't hook up both hoses at same time. During a flush, even if there was no 'back flow' valve, it would not be easy for germs to migrate up the hose to spigot unless it was connected all the time. Plus, I bring a spray bottle of dilute bleach solution to spray down spigots and threads before connecting. We drink the water, so I am careful. I don't bother hooking up flush hose until final dump and ready to leave.
Old 08-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #10
Open Space Wanted

Non-potable water for black, gray tanks and tank flush - First hose

Potable water for fresh water tank - Second hose

Is that the consensus?
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 07:52 PM   #11

Definitely only use potable water for the fresh water tank or the city water connection.

Non-potable water is only intended for blank/gray tank flushes. The discussion I was exploring is if it's safe to use the potable water source for black/gray tank flushes. And if doing so, are anti-backflow valves effective.

Regarding hoses, I have a fresh (potable) water hose and a black/gray (non-potable) hose.

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank