RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2020, 02:38 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 19
Black tank flush back flow valve

The black tank flush backflow/vacuum valve on my 2020 Cardinal is stuck and wonít let water through. Where can I by a replacement or should I just remove it?
JPSCOTT123 is offline  
Old 10-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 22,836
The in-tank flush nozzle could be plugged or the vacuum break could be stuck.

The vacuum break is an easy fix because it is inside your camper somewhere near the outside hose connection. It can just be bypassed to check it; if bad, you must replace it to prevent black water from siphoning overboard when traveling.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Assembl...s%2C147&sr=8-1


The Nozzle is harder because you will first need to get access to the black tank's fittings. Normally, this will involve dropping the belly coverings to find out where they are located. (Don't pick a windy day for this)

It is easier to just drill a new hole in the black tank and install a new nozzle; then reroute the existing tubing to the new nozzle. Trying to remove the bad one and then fit the new nozzle in the old holes will leave you with potential leak sites.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-T...208693&sr=8-28
__________________
Lou, Laura, & Freya the wonder dog
2008 GMC Sierra 3000HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2019 Flagstaff 8529FLS - Pullrite 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline  
Old 10-08-2020, 09:16 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
The in-tank flush nozzle could be plugged or the vacuum break could be stuck.

The vacuum break is an easy fix because it is inside your camper somewhere near the outside hose connection. It can just be bypassed to check it; if bad, you must replace it to prevent black water from siphoning overboard when traveling.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Assembl...s%2C147&sr=8-1


The Nozzle is harder because you will first need to get access to the black tank's fittings. Normally, this will involve dropping the belly coverings to find out where they are located. (Don't pick a windy day for this)

It is easier to just drill a new hole in the black tank and install a new nozzle; then reroute the existing tubing to the new nozzle. Trying to remove the bad one and then fit the new nozzle in the old holes will leave you with potential leak sites.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-T...208693&sr=8-28
What?
bubbles is offline  
Old 10-08-2020, 11:33 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
I replaced my backflow valve with a brass elbow. You can always use an anti siphon device on your flush hose if you desire.
babock is offline  
Old 10-09-2020, 07:49 AM   #5
Site Team
 
KyDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 9,201
I discovered the same issue on my trailer just last week. It's not completely blocked but very low flow. I donno how the nozzle could have gotten blocked but stuck back flow or a kinked water line came to mind. I'll probably try removing the outside flange/hose connection and see what I can see. Maybe there's enough slack to pull it out a few inches and have a look.
__________________
Peace!
Dan & Rita D
2017 Nissan Titan 5.6L King cab 4wd
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41
KyDan is offline  
Old 10-09-2020, 08:40 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I replaced my backflow valve with a brass elbow. You can always use an anti siphon device on your flush hose if you desire.
Doing what you did is irresponsible and unsafe, and it puts everybody connected to the same water system as you at risk of illness or death ó all because you want to save a buck.

You obviously donít understand the importance and purpose of this particular type of backflow device ó most people donít. Different cross connection situations require different levels of protection, and you canít just ďuse [any old] anti siphon device on your flush hose if you desireĒ to create the same level of protection required to keep fecal matter from entering a potable water system.

I just canít understand why people donít take this kind of thing seriously and why they think they have better solutions than those designed for a particular situation and mandated by law/code. I have been in this business my entire adult life and I have seen some pretty bad things happen after people have decided to do away with or substitute a different type of backflow preventer for the type that should have been used.

For the sake of saving me from developing sores on my fingertips, I will just refer you to this thread I started here a year or so ago:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ns-191907.html

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline  
Old 10-09-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: California
Posts: 7,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Doing what you did is irresponsible and unsafe, and it puts everybody connected to the same water system as you at risk of illness or death — all because you want to save a buck.

You obviously don’t understand the importance and purpose of this particular type of backflow device — most people don’t. Different cross connection situations require different levels of protection, and you can’t just “use [any old] anti siphon device on your flush hose if you desire” to create the same level of protection required to keep fecal matter from entering a potable water system.

I just can’t understand why people don’t take this kind of thing seriously and why they think they have better solutions than those designed for a particular situation and mandated by law/code. I have been in this business my entire adult life and I have seen some pretty bad things happen after people have decided to do away with or substitute a different type of backflow preventer for the type that should have been used.

For the sake of saving me from developing sores on my fingertips, I will just refer you to this thread I started here a year or so ago:

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ns-191907.html

Bruce
Blah Blah Blah Always somebody head explodes when I say this.

Its fine. 3 things would have to happen. I would just happen to be doing this at the time. The sprayer would have to be above the contents of the liquid in the tank(That would never happen). And the area would have to lose water pressure.....all at the same time.

I took the backflow preventor off the output of my garbage disposal too!!!!!

I know too many people that have soft floors because the back flow valve was leaking over a long period of time.
babock is offline  
Old 10-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 19
Well, we left the RV park and drove to the next park. Tried it again and it works just fine! I think it was stuck in a closed position and bouncing along the road freed it up. If it happens again I'll replace it. Thanks to all for the comments.
JPSCOTT123 is offline  
Old 10-09-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
nomad297's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Blah Blah Blah Always somebody head explodes when I say this.

Its fine. 3 things would have to happen. I would just happen to be doing this at the time. The sprayer would have to be above the contents of the liquid in the tank(That would never happen). And the area would have to lose water pressure.....all at the same time.

I took the backflow preventor off the output of my garbage disposal too!!!!!

I know too many people that have soft floors because the back flow valve was leaking over a long period of time.
Whatever you do is up to you.

You may want to read your post over and think about how nothing that you wrote makes sense, then edit it again to show that you have a grasp on how backflow preventers work and what they do. I will give you a couple of hints to get you started:

1/ The sprayer would need to be submerged in the contents of the tank.
2/ Garbage disposals do not have backflow preventers — the output of the disposal dumps into the drain. Older installations of dishwashers (not disposals) may have an air gap that connects to an inlet on a disposal, but they aren’t required anymore due to check valves being installed on the pump outlet at the dishwasher and the discharge hose from the dishwasher is required to be routed to a position higher than the inlet on the disposal. Your bringing this into the conversation just goes to show that you don’t have an understanding of basic plumbing and backflow prevention.

You can go ahead and discount what I wrote in my previous post as “Blah Blah Blah” all you want, but you should not be on here telling people to do things that are harmful and deadly.

EDIT: I will not be responding to any further argumentative posts from you. I have made my point and I have provided you with some useful and informative links to help you and others understand the importance of these backflow preventers.

Bruce
__________________
2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline  
Old 10-09-2020, 12:14 PM   #10
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 24,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSCOTT123 View Post
Well, we left the RV park and drove to the next park. Tried it again and it works just fine! I think it was stuck in a closed position and bouncing along the road freed it up. If it happens again I'll replace it. Thanks to all for the comments.
Great to hear. Some very useful ( and maybe not so) information has been provided that may help others. We are going to close this thread to look at some things for review.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I often say to myself, "I can't believe that cloning machine worked."
wmtire is offline  
Closed Thread

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, flush, tank, valve

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.