Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2020, 07:36 PM   #1

Black tank Flush on Coachmen Catalina

Need a little clarification on the order of occurrence with a black tank flush. 1st trip we kept black and grey closed for 2 days, wrapped up when heading out and flushed black first, then grey. Didn't use the black tank flush with old water hose. Not sure if we should do this everytime, or just every few times. Wouldn't think it would hurt since the option is there. I know to use an old hose just for that but curios about exact order. When breaking camp, flush black tank normal then gray then attach hose and connect from water at campsite to black tank flush on side of TT? Or do you flush black tank, connect hose and clean, then do grey? Or does it matter? Most campsites are only going to have one water spicket I assume so would have to detach normal hose/water connection right? Any advise when you have this option? Thx.
TX First Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #2

We dump the black water, then use the black tank flush with the valve open, then dump the grey water.
A clear elbow helps you see if the water is coming out clear. We put a y-connector on the campground water connection and connect our rinse hose and the fresh water hose to that. When we take it off, we keep one of the hoses connected to the y connector, so that we don't cross contaminate.
How often you flush depends on you. It doesn't have to be done every time, but if you give the toilet heavy use, you might want to use it often.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:53 PM   #3

Yes definitely black tank 1st .Get a splitter for the water spigot, that way you can have your 2nd hose, After you flush your black tank than do the grey tank to flush out the hose, you may want to get a clear elbow so you know when the tanks are clear.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #4

So heading out again next weekend at another full hookup site Been out once since this but had dump station upon exiting so wasn't rushed but also didnt want to hold up the line. Just so I'm clear, at the end, flush black tank obviously, then run fresh water flush, then dump grey. Then is it ok or needed to run water flush again after grey and all is empty? Just for another clean, since this time we won't be rushed? Additionally I've read alot about putting cleaner/ disinfectant down toilet to clean. When exactly should this be done under above scenario? Trying to take care of everything and do it right. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:12 AM   #5

When you are ready to leave your steps should be in this order, whether at a full hook up site or at a the dump station on the way out of the campground.

1: Pull handle on black tank and drain completely
2: With black tank valve still open, use black tank flush till water coming out of tank is clear. Like others have said a clear elbow on your sewer connection makes this very easy to see.
3: Close black tank valve.
4: Pull grey tank valve and drain completely.
5: Close grey tank valve
6: Pack everything up and get home safe.

Hope this helps
jrb.bostonma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #6

]^^^^ What they said.
If you have the time, you could do the process a second time. A clear section of the sewer hose will help you 'see' when the water comes out clear. They come in clear straight sections or an elbow. https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-39432...7620464&sr=8-3
After you're done emptying, put an rv treatment in the toilet and the recommended amount of water. Then disconnect everything and you're done.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:11 AM   #7

Interesting... I've never seen anyone hold up the line at a dump station long enough to do a flush of the black tanks. All of the considerate people I have been behind at dump stations have dumped black tank, followed by grey tanks and have been on their way, no flushing. I've always assumed they were doing what I do. Make sure there is at least 2/3 in each tank before leaving the camp site and just dump at the dump station.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
Interesting... I've never seen anyone hold up the line at a dump station long enough to do a flush of the black tanks.
I have, but it's not recommended if there are people waiting. We've been at dump stations where most of the campers have already left so a black tank flush is possible.
We usually do a complete cleaning at a full hookup site.

Tags
black, black tank, black tank flush, cat, catalina, flush, tank