Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2020, 02:46 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherrvr View Post
The anti-siphon valve setup looks like something worth having around anyway. We did get the tanks to drain for now though.
NEVERMIND............Just another question answered by a previous post. THANKS!!
Old 05-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
To each their own.
e
I've been putting TP in the holding tank (as well as my family) since I started RV'ing back in the early 70's. Never a clog. Gauges get fouled by just about EVERYTHING in the tanks, not just TP so nothing gained there by saving it separately.

When I fist started RV'ing an old timer clued me in. When black tank is dumped and flushed be sure to add water back to the tank so "solids" don't stick to bottom of tank in the drop zone. Add enough so you have an inch or so of water on the bottom of the tank.
I know it's counter-intuitive to put water into a tank you've just drained but it really won't impact the number of uses possible. Will definitely make the disposal process quicker..
Yep ... like Mike said ... I got same tip and we always prep the tank with at least 3-5 gallons so we are ready for next trip.
Frank & Cindy--- (SOB) 5th Wheel ---2019 Ram 3500 Cummins 6.7 SRW 4x4 8' bed--- Payload 4394------Remi & Sage camping pups---TST 507 TPMS ... B&W Patriot 18K---3.73 axle ... Predator 3500---2019 48 days ---2020 28 days Camping
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherrvr View Post
I still owe this forum for this solution dug out of the archives:

"It had something in the black tank from new and stunk horribly. It wouldn't drain. We stopped at a campground for the night wondering what to do and a campground host said fill up the gray tank and black all the way then pull both valves open at the same time.. IT WORKED!! Thank you because that smell was horrid. The grey is down line from the black and creates extra vacuum on the black tank."

So we filled both grey water tanks, then opened them both about 1 second before opening the black water valve: the suction from the grey water running down pulled the clog loose. And ran the black water flush for a good long time after, to clear it out good. We may just fill the black water tank again by running a hose into the toilet, and dump again, to be extra sure of clearing out anything left in there.
Thanks for sharing the solution you found. I'll have to put that one in my bag of tips and tricks.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:02 PM   #24

I have been RVing for many years without a problem with a poo pyramid. At the end of every season, I drain my black tank and dump 20 pounds of ice into the tank. I drive around for 10 or 20 miles, fill the black tank with water and drain again. When I look down the toilet the tank looks brand new.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #25

I've been using the GEO method for several years. No smell, and no clogs. We have very hard water, and most campgrounds out west use well water which is also hard. The Calgon water softener makes perfect sense to me.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
That's our SOP. No chemicals. No paper. Lots of water. No problem.
Lots of water here as well but we also use a toilet chemicals and TP. We start each trip with adding the toilet chemical and 5 gallons of water so there is plenty of water to dilute the solids.

We wander so as a bonus the black tank gets a good rinse going down the road.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:27 PM   #27

Quote:
To each their own.
e
I've been putting TP in the holding tank (as well as my family) since I started RV'ing back in the early 70's. Never a clog. Gauges get fouled by just about EVERYTHING in the tanks, not just TP so nothing gained there by saving it separately.

When I fist started RV'ing an old timer clued me in. When black tank is dumped and flushed be sure to add water back to the tank so "solids" don't stick to bottom of tank in the drop zone. Add enough so you have an inch or so of water on the bottom of the tank.
I know it's counter-intuitive to put water into a tank you've just drained but it really won't impact the number of uses possible. Will definitely make the disposal process quicker..
Ive never had a clog, because I add 2 4 gallon buckets of water to the tank when I drain and flush it. If there is a line I dont' do it then but when I get home to be courteous to my fellow campers.

What we have had is a leaky black tank valve that was caused by TP caught in the seal and allow effluent to seep by.

The short term fix was to add another gate valve at the discharge to prevent any "leakage" before I could get it fixed with a new valve.

Our permanent fix was two fold.
1. A small waste basket for TP next to the toilet.
2. I added a Bidet Seat so the paper has no solid waste on it in that basket.

Problem solved...............I kept the gate valve though.............glued it in place.........Just in case!
Old 06-01-2020, 09:05 PM   #28

Make sure

I got a call from the buyers of my Forest River tt, their first trailer. They described the exact same problem written about here. Turns out they were opening the grey water tank valve instead of the black water tank Valve.
runner2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #29

I buy the cheapest laundry detergent I can find at DG. I add a cup of more to every tank along with chemicals. Seems to help things flow better. Also , always use your blackwater flush after /during emptying. If no blackwater flush, have someone flush toilet continously while/and after dumping
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:15 AM   #30

Quote:
To each their own.
e

Water Plenty of Water,Before /During and After! Mike I am surprised that your Family still camps with you after "Putting Them in the Black Tank since the 70's"! Youroo!!
Old 06-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #31

Black tank not draining

I'm a retired RV mechanic and I did not see anyone suggest a method I used many times with success close black and grey valves hold sewer hose as high as possible fill with hose then have helper open black valve pressure of water in hose will push clog in to tank return hose to dump port quickly and tank should follow
Billthecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #32

Mr billthecamper: your suggestion is filed away. Hopefully I won’t have to use it but that is a great tip! This is the first time I have seen it mentioned. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billthecamper View Post
I'm a retired RV mechanic and I did not see anyone suggest a method I used many times with success close black and grey valves hold sewer hose as high as possible fill with hose then have helper open black valve pressure of water in hose will push clog in to tank return hose to dump port quickly and tank should follow
This is a great idea.

To go a step further, after pushing the clog back in, I would then re-close the valve, refill the hose, then open the valve and put the hose into the sewer outlet all in one fast motion (takes two people). The water that's filling the hose should then create a suction (siphon), in addition to the pressure of the water in the tank, to create a larger flow rate out of the tank.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #34
Site Team

The northern 2 ply can be used but the tank needs lots of water and use tank treatment every time. LOTS OF WATER! Everytime!
If you usually dump at 2/3 full, finish filling the tank with water first. And after dumping, run several gallons of water in the tank before you use it again. There has to be water and treatment in the tank for the solids to break down.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billthecamper View Post
What could go wrong?

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:03 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
What could go wrong?
Exactly! We need a video of the average old timer doing this: “return hose to dump port quickly”!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #37
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
The northern 2 ply can be used but the tank needs lots of water and use tank treatment every time. LOTS OF WATER! Everytime!
If you usually dump at 2/3 full, finish filling the tank with water first. And after dumping, run several gallons of water in the tank before you use it again. There has to be water and treatment in the tank for the solids to break down.
X2

ANY toilet paper can be used if you prep the tank after dumping, using enough water when flushing the toilet and waiting until the tank is full before dumping. We've used the SAME toilet paper that we use in the house as long as we've been camping (40+years) and never an issue.

Putting toilet paper in something other than the toilet is something we'd never do.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:36 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Exactly! We need a video of the average old timer doing this: “return hose to dump port quickly”!
Yea...

Any solution that includes the phrase "hold sewer hose as high as possible" makes me a little leary.

Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
X2

ANY toilet paper can be used if you prep the tank after dumping, using enough water when flushing the toilet and waiting until the tank is full before dumping. We've used the SAME toilet paper that we use in the house as long as we've been camping (40+years) and never an issue.

Putting toilet paper in something other than the toilet is something we'd never do.
Same here on all counts. I use Camco waste digester, controls odor and breaks up TP, and doesn't hurt septics. (No formaldehyde). Been doing the same thing for 40+ years without issue.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #40
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Yea...

Any solution that includes the phrase "hold sewer hose as high as possible" makes me a little leary.

I always thought Robin Williams was a smart guy. I'm surprised he fell for that.
Oh, wait, I guess when they call it acting they can get anyone to do anything. I hope the stuff in that hose wasn't the real thing.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, drain, tank