Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #1

Black tank help needed

Our black tank seems full and the bowl will not empty, but when we pull the valve to dump, there is just a little trickle, then it stops. Any ideas?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #2

The valve my not be opening are you sure it is opened? have you tried to run an old piece of hose or a stick up into the dump outlet to see if the valve is opening. If it is then you have a problem with to much solids in the tank. When was the last time you were able to dump it? have the contents been in there for a long time (over winter)? Have you tried a bottle of RV DIGEST-IT? use the entire bottle and let it set for 24 hours like the label says.

We need more information.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhbob View Post
Our black tank seems full and the bowl will not empty, but when we pull the valve to dump, there is just a little trickle, then it stops. Any ideas?
I see you are a full timer. is the TT set up at a permanent location? If so have you left the dump valve open for a long period of time?
Old 04-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Besides the above, are you sure you are opening the correct valve? Most TT have the Gray and Black water coming out a common pipe (separate valve) but some have them completely separate also. Just a sanity check.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Besides the above, are you sure you are opening the correct valve? Most TT have the Gray and Black water coming out a common pipe (separate valve) but some have them completely separate also. Just a sanity check.
Good Question!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I am thinking you have a real "sticky" problem. I am guessing your valve body is packed with poo. There is not enough water pressure to push through it.

To fix this problem:

1) STOP USING IT. This will only make the problem worse.
2) If the black water is already backing up into the bowl, the tank is already chock full you are kinda hosed. There is no way to add RV-Digester to your black tank.
3) Call a RV plumber and get ready for a big bill. RV tank guys hate/love this scenario. They hate it for the mess, but love it for the big bucks.

Now if calling out the troops is out of the question;

Open all windows and clothes pin your nose.

Wear clothes you intend to burn.

Wear rubber gloves and goggles.

Turn off water to the toilette so you can open the bottom valve without adding additional water to the tank.

Open the black dump valve to the sewer (use a clear elbow if you can and have someone watch for "movement"

Take a flexible water hose about 6 foot long and start pushing it through the toilette and pull it up and repeat while twisting it around (you are trying to find the open valve that is blocked with solids).

Hopefully the blockage will be opened up enough to let some of the water out of the tank.

Once the water starts to leave (and hopefully some solids too) close the valve. Add a FULL quart of RV-Digester or similar biological sewage digestion treatment and let stand for 24 hours. (Says 12 on the bottle but more is better).

Open the black dump valve and lots more should come out.

Dump till empty.

Close valve and fill black tank with water. Add ANOTHER quart of RV-Digester and let stand 24 hours.

Dump again and flush well with Turbo wand or Turboflush until water is clear running.

Throw away (or burn) clothes, hose, gloves, and goggles.

Follow correct dumping instructions in the future.

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:58 PM   #7

I have had this happen to me and is why I own a Flush King. Stuff accumulates at the bottom of the tank and can block drainage. A FK is cheap insurance against this happening again. Find a way to back-flush the tank, you'll be surprised what comes out.
ctdrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

A Flush King might work good in this situation.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 03:11 PM   #9

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rain-7821.html

The above link is for a thread on my previous problem, you might find some help there.

If all else fails you will need to call out someone like I had to do when we first brought our TT home, the black tank was full and a poop cake had formed. I used All Pro Water Flow All Pro Water Flow I think I paid about 200.00 to have all tanks flushed and sanitized and I paid a little extra to have the hot water heater flushed also.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
A Flush King might work good in this situation.
Maybe if you started out with low water pressure it might do the trick over time, but I would try clearing it from the top first. IMO

I am thinking if you blasted the water in under pressure it might push the black water up the stack if it broke free.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:56 PM   #11

AND..... once you get the problem solved, in the future, if you are not already doing it - never never never dump the black tank unless it is at least 3/4 full, even if you have to add water first. Also, leaving the dump valve open when connected up to a sewer inlet is bad practice as it can cause a build-up of solids in the black tank. It's actually quite surprising how many folks I have seen at campsites who leave the black tank dump valve open while connected to the sewer system.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #12

Got things working again. I had (briefly) considered trying to backflush the system, but couldn't figure out a clean or safe way to to that. The level in the toilet had dropped enough that I thought I had enough room to use the Turbo Wand. I had tried the OEM flush system, but got a sprayback at the docking station that makes we wonder if it's installed correctly.

At any rate, after about 30 minutes of flush/fill/dump/repeat, I was getting reasonably clearish water out. I added a full bottle of tank enzyme treatment, a couple of gallons of water and called it a day. More later when I get wifi. Thanks all.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Got things working again. I had (briefly) considered trying to backflush the system, but couldn't figure out a clean or safe way to to that. The level in the toilet had dropped enough that I thought I had enough room to use the Turbo Wand. I had tried the OEM flush system, but got a sprayback at the docking station that makes we wonder if it's installed correctly.

At any rate, after about 30 minutes of flush/fill/dump/repeat, I was getting reasonably clearish water out. I added a full bottle of tank enzyme treatment, a couple of gallons of water and called it a day. More later when I get wifi. Thanks all.
Likely your OEM Flush system was clogged with junk IN the tank. There is a backflow preventer in the line to the black tank to prevent black water from being pushed (or siphoned) out of the tank through that hose to the outside of your rig.

If the line is blocked at the tank the backflow preventer will not allow water to enter the tank and will gush water out when you disconnect the flush hose. Most likely it is working fine and will work properly when you get your black tank stabilized and cleaned.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #14

Quote:

Glad to hear it !!! Was quite a crappy situation you had there.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank