RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2020, 08:17 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 17
Black tank Leak?

Hello,

I was flushing my Black tank when I noticed a small amount of black tank water coming from a cutout underneath the camper. Pic...

I hadn’t noticed it until I was flushing the 3rd time, it wasn’t dark water so I don’t think it was doing it before I emptied the tank and flushed. Do I have a leak or did I overfill the tank when flushing?

Also, I looked into the toilet when completely empty and I still see some water at the bottom. Is that normal? Shouldn’t it be completely empty if I look with a light?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CABBE581-4273-44A9-B773-4D464362CBC3.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	232525  
Jbenn4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Boscorelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 129
That's the new "safety" feature so your black tank never overfills. You can keep filling it and filling it. If it gets overfilled, the custom, post-engineered, black tank overflow exhaust port opens up to rid the tank of excess contents. IJK
I'd say you have a hole in the tank. Yuck!
Boscorelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:21 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 17
Thanks for the reply! I am confused, it is really an overflow or are you suggesting I do have a leak? Sorry, couldn’t tell
__________________
2017 Forest River Wildwood, Heritage Glen Hyper Lyte 29BH


2017 Ford F-150
Jbenn4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:21 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 3,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbenn4422 View Post
I was flushing my Black tank when I noticed a small amount of black tank water coming from a cutout underneath the camper. Pic...

I hadn’t noticed it until I was flushing the 3rd time, it wasn’t dark water so I don’t think it was doing it before I emptied the tank and flushed. Do I have a leak or did I overfill the tank when flushing?

Also, I looked into the toilet when completely empty and I still see some water at the bottom. Is that normal? Shouldn’t it be completely empty if I look with a light?
Before you go and replace that tank, perhaps you need to do a bit more diagnosis.
How were you flushing the tank? Were you using a black tank flush or putting water down the toilet? If you were using a black tank flush, the dump valve should have been open to avoid overfilling.
Was that cutout on the trailer when you bought it?
There might be water on the bottom of the toilet depending on how the water drains. It's almost impossible to get all the water out.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:31 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
A32Deuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mount Laurel, New Jersey
Posts: 9,215
I found that when dumping and flushing my tanks before leaving, I drop the driver side/raise passenger side to get better cleaning. Doesn't take much. Lean the other way when winterizing to get most of the water out of the FW tank.
__________________
2012 SunSeeker 3100SS Toad-1962 Futura Average 100 + days camping
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 09:43 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 17
I was flushing the tank and had the valve closed. I thought the best way to flush it was to close it and allow the water to fill and then empty again? Is that wrong?

The cutout is on both sides, I think it’s supposed to be there.

I filled again and it did it again when the tank was full.
__________________
2017 Forest River Wildwood, Heritage Glen Hyper Lyte 29BH


2017 Ford F-150
Jbenn4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:06 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Space Coast of Florida
Posts: 2,891
How do you know it is water from the black tank? It could be the flush connection to the black tank. You need to drop the underbelly so you can investigate the leak.

Those cut outs seem odd? Not sure of their purpose, is this a new RV or did you buy used? If it is black tank it should smell.

I always close the dump valve and set a 3 minute timer on my phone. Do not do this without a timer of some kind. It is easy to get side tracked. I fill and release until the water runs relatively clear. When you’re done flushing fill the tank with a couple of gallons of water and add what ever tank chemical you use.

Also, there is no overflow. The black tank is sealed and the only overflow is thru the roof stink pipe vent. Remember RV with Robin Williams...lol..
__________________
2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 40K+ miles
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab
Andersen Ultimate Hitch
RadMini Stepthru eBikes

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:23 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 17
I knew it was because of the odor. I’ve never removed the underbelly, but it makes sense to do so and see what’s happening.

Thank you
__________________
2017 Forest River Wildwood, Heritage Glen Hyper Lyte 29BH


2017 Ford F-150
Jbenn4422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:28 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 3,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbenn4422 View Post
I was flushing the tank and had the valve closed. I thought the best way to flush it was to close it and allow the water to fill and then empty again? Is that wrong?
.
People are going to disagree with me, but the recommended procedure for using a black tank flush is to keep the sewer valve open. It's like a sprinkler system in there and keeping the valve open allows the sewage to be washed down from the top and sides.
__________________
2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
Reverse_snowbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:12 AM   #10
PhD, Common Sense
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Fairborn, OH
Posts: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
People are going to disagree with me, but the recommended procedure for using a black tank flush is to keep the sewer valve open. It's like a sprinkler system in there and keeping the valve open allows the sewage to be washed down from the top and sides.
I won’t be disagreeing with you. The idea of flushing is to hit all parts of the tank with somewhat pressurized water—including the walls and the floor. Allowing water to accumulate in the bottom would defeat that purpose.

The possibility of being careless and allowing the tank to completely fill is just one more reason to leave the valve open.

If the intent is to fill or partially fill the tank for some other cleaning purpose (say, doing the ice/rough road trick), then I wouldn’t bother with the black flush connection or a wand. I’d just put unpressurized water directly down the toilet.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 06:35 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
I won’t be disagreeing with you. The idea of flushing is to hit all parts of the tank with somewhat pressurized water—including the walls and the floor. Allowing water to accumulate in the bottom would defeat that purpose.

The possibility of being careless and allowing the tank to completely fill is just one more reason to leave the valve open.

If the intent is to fill or partially fill the tank for some other cleaning purpose (say, doing the ice/rough road trick), then I wouldn’t bother with the black flush connection or a wand. I’d just put unpressurized water directly down the toilet.
I agree 100%. Using the flush with the valve closed is no different than simply filling using the toilet.
__________________
2019 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2018 F 150 Supercrew 6.5 bed 3.5 EB Max Tow
Jfkmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 10:44 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: North of Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
People are going to disagree with me, but the recommended procedure for using a black tank flush is to keep the sewer valve open. It's like a sprinkler system in there and keeping the valve open allows the sewage to be washed down from the top and sides.
Is that why there is a large instruction label right next to the flush connection on my Trailer teling me to make sure dump valve is open before using flush.??

Funny how so many just ignore instructions and try a "better way".


One possible leak point that hasn't been mentioned is where the dump tube the toilet sits on may not be properly sealed where it enters the tank. Also, if a tank sensor is not tightened properly, creating a good seal where it enters the tank, leaking will occur.
__________________
"A wise man can change his mind. A fool never will."

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbenn4422 View Post
Hello,

I was flushing my Black tank when I noticed a small amount of black tank water coming from a cutout underneath the camper. Pic...

I hadn’t noticed it until I was flushing the 3rd time, it wasn’t dark water so I don’t think it was doing it before I emptied the tank and flushed. Do I have a leak or did I overfill the tank when flushing?

Also, I looked into the toilet when completely empty and I still see some water at the bottom. Is that normal? Shouldn’t it be completely empty if I look with a light?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Thank you
I had a broken black tank part where it attached to the tank. black water spewed out top where it was attached. not good. replaced part. i dont use the flush for tank anymore.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 12:02 PM   #14
Just as confused as you
 
Scrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: south central Wisconsin
Posts: 4,698
There are several places the water could be coming from. As mentioned before a bad seal between the toilet and tank. Or a bad seal where the vent stack goes into the tank. Or you could be filling the tank so full the water is going up the vent stack then back down the side of the stack. You may be filling it to the point the water runs down the side of the stack but not enough to push it onto the roof. If this is the case then you have water inside the wall where the vent stack runs. Because of expansion/contractions rates of the different materials and the vibrations caused by roads, the vent stack is not sealed at the roof, it sits inside a larger tube which is sealed to the roof membrane. My tt also has a sticker next to the black tank flush that says to leave the dump valve open when using.
__________________
Richard & Jill
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Classic Super Lite
2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4WD All Star Edition
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Shady Cove, OR
Posts: 56
I find that when flushing my black tank, if I close the valve for 5 minutes or so and then open it I see a lot more of the solids coming out rather than leaving the valve open. I repeat this 3 to 4 times until it I show pretty much only clear coming out. To make sure you don't get sidetracked and forget about the valve being closed, you can set an alarm on your phone. This is what I found works best for me.
jannjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:11 AM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 8
Were you able to find the cause of your problem? If so, how did you fix it? I had a similar leak this weekend when flushing my black tank so I am looking for help in figuring out what happened as it hasn't happened before.
tramponi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black, black tank, leak, tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.