Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

Black Tank Maintance

Probably covered before but need a quick answer. I know the black tank sensors are very picky but mine had been working well until my last trip. It starting to read full even though I could see the level was not full. A little later it would read what appeared to be a correct 2/3 full. It appears I need to completely fill/flush/empty the tank with some sort of chemical to completely clean it out. What do you use and how do you clean it and the sensors completely?
Old 07-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanddhall View Post
Probably covered before but need a quick answer. I know the black tank sensors are very picky but mine had been working well until my last trip. It starting to read full even though I could see the level was not full. A little later it would read what appeared to be a correct 2/3 full. It appears I need to completely fill/flush/empty the tank with some sort of chemical to completely clean it out. What do you use and how do you clean it and the sensors completely?
This is what I do. During every trip I am going somewhere with full hookups I put approximately 2 cup of dish washer soap in each tank with a few gallons of water. By the time I reach my destination the solution bounced around in the tanks cleaning the tank and sensors. So far I have never had a sensor issue and I have been doing this for over 15 years. Good Luck!
Old 07-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #3

How do you get the soap into the gray tanks? Pour it down the drain and run water?
hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
Marie and JOhn

Hi TandDHall, we are FROG Members and will also be a vendor at the Rally doing Seminars on Holding Tank Care. I hope to meet everyone from the forum!

If you had sensors working properly and after you dump, they are not reading accurately, the best thing to do is completely feel the tanks and dump again, (several times if needed) to get any debris off of the sensors. Allowing the debris to dry on the tank sensors is where long-term problems can occur.

Dish soap is often recommended on forums, and I can agree that it could help, the problem with dish soap is that dish soap is a degreaser and the seals and valves need to be lubricated, not degreased. If you do use dish soap, make sure to rinse it out well after and do not use dish soap regularly. It can dry out the seals eventually if over-used, possibly causing the need for valve replacement.

I am by no means saying that it won't help, I am simply suggesting not to over-use dish soap in the tanks.
lmsafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
How do you get the soap into the gray tanks? Pour it down the drain and run water?
Yes I put it down the drains. I never had a problem with seals either.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #6

Learned this here somewhere;
2 cups liquid water softner
1 cup liquid laundry detergent
1 gal warm water

Mix together, add to black tank, let set for 24 hrs.
Fill blk tank to full and dump.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Learned this here somewhere;
2 cups liquid water softner
1 cup liquid laundry detergent
1 gal warm water

Mix together, add to black tank, let set for 24 hrs.
Fill blk tank to full and dump.
Well, not quite. If you pour that 1 gallon of mix into tank it will sit in the bottom and do nothing to clean the tank. You should fill the tank after adding that gallon of mix and then let sit for 24 hours and then dump. Fill again with water and dump again. BTW what you are actually describing is the GEO Method for treating your tank before you use it.. https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank