Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #1

black tank not dumping

when we go to dump after camping all weekend get to dump and only get half of it to come out. i dont understand why it not coming out anyone ever have this problem? seem to work better when camper is leaning to door side
hofada02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #2

Not enough water in tank. More water is better than not enough. Consider Black tank flush
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
Site Team

If it's truly stopping before it empties, it could be a plug where they cut the hole for the drain or toilet stack.

We've heard more than a few reports of that happening.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:10 PM   #4

i use the flush and am thinking i use enough water. no i have started driving home and dumping it at home after driving for at least one hour and it dumps fine.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
If it's truly stopping before it empties, it could be a plug where they cut the hole for the drain or toilet stack.

We've heard more than a few reports of that happening.
what would be wrong with the stack. this is 2nd year with camper didn't have this problem last year
Old 08-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #6

Maybe try one of these:Click image for larger version

Name:	rv flush king.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	183778

May also want to check roof vent for that tank, sometimes debris or birds nest blocks vent.
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:39 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

Let me ask you this, how do you know only half is coming out? A weekend does not always produce a whole lot and if your half is based on the readout on the monitors... They are almost never correct.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofada02 View Post
what would be wrong with the stack. this is 2nd year with camper didn't have this problem last year
I think you misread B R’s post. I think he is on target when you say it dumps after you drive home. If it is the cut-out from the toilet “stack”, you will have one nasty job getting it out. You can find out by using an inspection camera after super flushing your tank.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Let me ask you this, how do you know only half is coming out? A weekend does not always produce a whole lot and if your half is based on the readout on the monitors... They are almost never correct.
I dont know its half, but i will go to dump station after a weekend then only come out for 10-15 seconds then will stop. I will go inside camper and look in the toilet and still see and the party in the tank still. I will then drive home and dump at home and everything comes out. I will go in and look inside toilet all clear
Old 08-19-2018, 08:11 PM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

OK might need to consider some happy camper and a full tank of water to break things down. Let it disolvethebuild up. Sure it could be the cut out but after 2 years I'd think you would have found it by now.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #11

Something is wrong

If you are level at the camp site it should not dump any better at home or after sloshing it around. Get the Clear Flush King for sure. Can be a lifesaver. The only real way to check it is get the camera and go down there!
Someone may have flushed something you were not aware of. Maybe a stack of 100's!
Good luck
1984fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #12

Use a lot of water when you flush toilet. I know you hate wasting water but its what needs to flush system well
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #13

Quote:
I dont know its half, but i will go to dump station after a weekend then only come out for 10-15 seconds then will stop. I will go inside camper and look in the toilet and still see and the party in the tank still. I will then drive home and dump at home and everything comes out. I will go in and look inside toilet all clear
On one of these forums I read an article that suggested using a cup of Calgon water softener plus some detergent. When you flush this down the toilet and let it agitate it will do a nice job of cleaning your tank. This is not supposed to be a one time shot, but done regularly.
Luke Moseley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #14
Jayhawker

Black water/Gray water dumping

Have the same problem when we dump at a Missouri State Park (Bennet Springs) After talking to fellow camp ground campers, they mentioned that the dump station is facing down hill. When we get home and raise the front end of the trailer the rest of our gray water empties out. Some campers use three Lynx Leveler blocks at the dump station to get their tanks to drain. Hope this helps.
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:13 PM   #15
Can you run 3800 fps?

Most of the parks we go to here in Northern Ohio are State Parks. They are very good about maintaining the dump stations, even to sloping the drive along the dump ports AWAY from the ports, so rain does not collect and drain down
the sewer inlet. You need about two inches of lift on the far side of the trailer to get level. After dumping I just add clear water through the tank flush line and let is slosh around until next flush. Last trip of the season is usually at a full service site, so it's already level and it empties out well.
SniperDroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:06 AM   #16

Be sure you are using a good tank chemical, like Kronen, which has the microbes in it similar to the ones in water treatment plants. It will help break down the solids and keep the sensors and sidewalls clean.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:13 AM   #17

Quote:
From your description, I'd agree with the others that say there is something inside the tank...like the cutout and it's blocks when it reaches the hole and when you drive home, it dislodges and you're able to drain the rest.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
OK might need to consider some happy camper and a full tank of water to break things down. Let it disolvethebuild up. Sure it could be the cut out but after 2 years I'd think you would have found it by now.

All of us are PRESUMING that you keep the valve closed in camp so you are retaining all the liquids for dumping.

Otherwise, I concur, keep flushing until it is clear and if you feel it is obstructed get a camera up there.

I did a test fill at home with a water meter on my hose and learned that my 40 black tank only holds 32-33 gallons of water and I do a flush until the water is totally clear which has required several fills and dumps
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawker View Post
Have the same problem when we dump at a Missouri State Park (Bennet Springs) After talking to fellow camp ground campers, they mentioned that the dump station is facing down hill. When we get home and raise the front end of the trailer the rest of our gray water empties out. Some campers use three Lynx Leveler blocks at the dump station to get their tanks to drain. Hope this helps.
X2

We've been to many dump stations where the dump station is not level and getting a complete dump is impossible. If you've got the time, you can level it, but usually you've got others behind you trying to dump.

Since you can dump successfully once you get home, it's probably not the camper.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #20

Maybe you could try getting it back to factory fresh, factory clean condition inside and see if that helps. Liquid Drano can be used and it won't hurt metal or plastic. Our owners manual says to use it. If that cures the issue, you'll know you had a heavy duty buildup of stuck on "stuff" in there. Have been using it once or twice a year for 5 seasons so far. Only problem is, while it def. does an excellent job of cleaning, it's not long before false readings return, pffft...

Remember, water is everything. Put in a few gallons before each use of the tank. Don't skimp on water when flushing in an effort to conserve water. Fill tank to near full before dumping. Flush well with an in-tank rinser, down the toilet wand and/or back flush elbow. Leave the CG with a nice 'n clean tank, ready for your next outing or leg of trip.

Tags
black, black tank, tank