Old 05-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #1

Black Tank Sensor shows 2/3 full when its empty

I have a fairly new TT and the black tank sensor shows 2/3 full when its completely empty. It does have a black tank flush which I have run twice but the problem continues. I am assuming the sensor has a piece of TP or something worse suck to it but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on resolving he problem. This may be a dumb question but can you clean the sensors by reaching down through the toilet? Are they easy to identify? Have a feeling this will be at least a 2 beer repair.

dhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #2

No on the sensor reach thru the crapper. you might want to use some tank cleaner and let the tank set the required time then flush it and consider switching to the geo method. They to make seniors that can be retrofitted that will not read wrong because of scum or other things

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #3

I will give that a shot. Thanks!
dhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

I would use RV-Digest-It by Unique and follow the directions.

If you can't find that, you can use Rid-X in a pinch. In this case, dissolve the Rid-X in warm water; add it to the black tank; fill the black tank with water and let soak a minimum of 3 days.

Dump and turbo flush with lots of water; can take 15-20 minutes of turbo flushing.

Prevention of sensor problems is easier than fixing them.

I use 1 cap full Calgon water SOFTENER and a laundry load of detergent (without fabric softener - a wax) to the black tank along with 2 gallons of water after every dump. This will clean your sensors and tank every time you use it.
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunt View Post
I have a fairly new TT and the black tank sensor shows 2/3 full when its completely empty. It does have a black tank flush which I have run twice but the problem continues. I am assuming the sensor has a piece of TP or something worse suck to it but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on resolving he problem. This may be a dumb question but can you clean the sensors by reaching down through the toilet? Are they easy to identify? Have a feeling this will be at least a 2 beer repair.
Close your black valve and fill the tank using your black tank flush, time how long it takes to fill by checking through the toilet. Once full, open the black tank, do this at least 3 times, this is the best way to clean your tank, might be a 2 beer job. Use a timer with audible alert to prevent overflow.
Sealyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #6

Black and Grey tank sensors

I put these in at the beginning of the season last year and never looked back. They work great.

RV Holding Tank Sensors - Get accurate grey and black holding tank monitor readings
Pilot172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealyn View Post
Close your black valve and fill the tank using your black tank flush, time how long it takes to fill by checking through the toilet. Once full, open the black tank, do this at least 3 times, this is the best way to clean your tank, might be a 2 beer job. Use a timer with audible alert to prevent overflow.
I agree that is been my best luck using the black tank flush and flushing the whole tank to her three times if that ever happens.
mxchrit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Also... if your toilet is a straight shot into the tank, a flush wand often blows the crap off the sensors. (pun intended)

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=83
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #9

There is no fail-safe method. Everything has trade-offs.

I second the black tank wand cleaner. That is the only thing, which will completely clean your tank and the sensors. Just be aware, using TP or not, as soon as you use it once, you will have residue on the walls, which will need to be cleaned off with the wand. Thus, you are back to the false readings.

We gave up after about 6 trips. We now just know when we need to empty it, based on our common usage. We know we can go about 7 days without emptying the black tank, so really no longer pay attention to the black tank sensors.

You can pay 300-400 to replace the sensors, you can run the wand every time you dump, etc. Or you can just learn what your tank is telling you and move on. There are other discussions elsewhere and depending on what they are trying to sell, will depend on the conclusions they make. My advise...just live with it.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #10

Or.....

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhunt View Post
It's a common problem! If the toilet has been recently flushed, or the black tank emptied and fresh water put in the tank via the toilet, the sensor gets wet and stays wet a long time on some RV and an incorrect reading! Turn the water off to the toilet! Open it up! Shine a flashlight down through the toilet into the tank and you should be able see you have no problem, or you do! Dan
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:00 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot172 View Post
I put these in at the beginning of the season last year and never looked back. They work great.

RV Holding Tank Sensors - Get accurate grey and black holding tank monitor readings
This indeed is a permanent solution.

I did the same.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-16089.html
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 05-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #13

Quote:

Think I'd install a SeeLevel system. No internal tank sensors at all. Sensors are on the outside and work on the induction principle. If it's good enought for Newell and Prevost it's good enough (and not that expensive either).
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan n Gerda View Post
It's a common problem! If the toilet has been recently flushed, or the black tank emptied and fresh water put in the tank via the toilet, the sensor gets wet and stays wet a long time on some RV and an incorrect reading! Turn the water off to the toilet! Open it up! Shine a flashlight down through the toilet into the tank and you should be able see you have no problem, or you do! Dan
This has not been my experience. Also most campers do not have a shutoff valve at the toilet; pressure would need to be removed from the entire camper unless an after market solution (like when I repaired mine and added a flush wand). http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...c-v-15261.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Bidet 035.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	137198  
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 05-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #15

Quote:

X2 on this repair.

One of the causes of the condition you describe is sludge that has collected on the side of the tank. Gravity pulls it down and it gets on the sensors. When the sensors (which are like a switch in function) has any substance on them which conducts electricity they illuminate the light on your gauge. these have the plastic shield which you install facing up so the actual probe is shielded from the sludge.

On our old camper I did not know about these. I replaced the sensors with new ones just like the factory sensors. They worked perfectly for 2 months. Then the problem re-occurred. I tried the cleaning idea with no success.

Good Luck!
Old 05-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #16

Our tank sensors always seem to show in accurate readings. We have always put some Dawn down both tanks, especially the black tank. Fill with abut 1/3 of water and let it work or drive around and let it slosh in the tank then drain.
Seems to work just fine and is an easy to clean the tank.

Brandon2
2014 2500TS
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:45 PM   #17

Yes! Sensors are mostly the same

After many years of RVing I found a chemical that really cleans out the tank COMMANDO. One package and fill the tank to the top. Leave for at least 12 to 24 hours and empty. Then fill again to clean out any residue.
We always dump the black water then fill the tank 2 to 3 times(10 to 12 minutes) and dump each time. Seems to solve the sensor problem. We have a tank flush system but I find it no help.
mcmilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #18

I got a recall from forest river because tanks were not working correctly. I have a 2017 windjammer
crappie man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #19

Do like we did in the old days, empty the tank when it doesn't hold anymore.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #20

how do you clean the flush wand?

Tags
black, black tank, show, tank