Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 09:44 PM   #1

Black tank water issue

When flushing the black holding tank, I am getting leaking behind the hot water heater in the compartment that holds the hot water heater. There is no leaking above the floor so I am concluding that the leak must be inside the compartment. Aside from pulling out the hot water heater, is there a good way to get into the compartment to see and then fix the problem? From my observation, it looks like I may need to cut a new access hole into the compartment but before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone had a better suggestion. I have a 2013 FR Georgetown XL 350. Thanks. Haaner
Haaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Are you sure it's not running down from above at the backflush antisiphon/check valve?

Lots of reports here about them leaking.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:10 PM   #3

Yes. I was able to see water in the check valve (mine is clear plastic) so some is making it to the tank. I can also see that the line below the valve is dry so I believe it is below the floor.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #4

It's usually the bacflow preventer valve that has cracked. Usually located near water entry point, often under bathroom sink. This Cash Acme 17383-0000 V-101 1/2-Inch Brass Anti-Siphon Vacuum Breaker (Amazon) is an awesome replacement for the cheap plastic back flow preventer valve used in our RV which cracked and would have cost more than twice what this cost! I added two pvc plastic 1/2" pipe nipples and this fit right back where the plastic valve had been. I expect this solid brass piece will be much more durable.
Retired Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #5

It sounds like the leak is at the input to the tank. Mine is located behind the water heater (GT378).
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
It sounds like the leak is at the input to the tank. Mine is located behind the water heater (GT378).
Short of taking out the hot water heater, is there another way of getting to it?
Old 06-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaner View Post
Short of taking out the hot water heater, is there another way of getting to it?
In the 378 the water heater is mounted through a door and the door must be released from the heater (a real pain) to swing up (the water heater does not come out). There are threads on the forum that explain the process. I'm thinking your unit will be the same. It is the only way to gain access to the cleanout entry into the tank in the 378. I would make every effort to verify that the leak is definitely behind the water heater before going there. Your unit is newer so verify provisions have not been made via another route to access the tank cleanout nozzle for repair. Good luck.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #8

Thanks for your help. Sounds like I am in for some fun.

Tags
black, black tank, tank, water