RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #1
Robin newbie TT owner 🤦*♀

Black Tank question on new trailer, help! 1st time owner, Brand new TT

We bought a new 2021 Shasta 24BH last month. Our first TT. Upgraded from a pop up. We bought it basically new from a man that had bought it from dealer 10 days prior & then lost his job. Was never used. So we never got a walk through.
So rear bath, mid kitchen, no slides. Fresh water fill on door side.
We have private property 3 acres that it is on (staying put from March-early November) with electric but no running water so we use a water pump & jug method to fill. Emptying grey water has been easy because it is just 2 of us & usually just me working remotely from it & on our property. Our grey water is only shower water since we use paper & plastic for dishes. We have a full kitchen in our shed from when we had a pop up. We have a steep hill with a deep ravine (no creek nearby)
Both grey & black water tanks separate (36 gallon?) with a T discharge spot and pull handles for each per picture. No city water available but there is an anti-freeze outlet also on that side.Pictures attached.
So my question is what is the best way to empty the black water tank since we are basically boon docking on our property & don't want to move trailer? I do have the Rhino Elbow piece. Just unsure what else I need.
A macerator, hose, portable tank? I have been using for over 1 month & just now getting close to 3/4 full. We will be taking home in another month but likely storing somewhere other than our home since it takes up whole driveway. Would be great if we could take direct to storage place. Any tips, certain YouTube videos to watch? Have always used RV TP, plenty of water, & a toilet enzyme. No odors at all. I just don't want to waste money buying something we don't need. I do anticipate needing to empty one time prior to taking home unfortunately. Terrain is a real pain to get TT level & really don't want to move.

My husband had talked about next year possibly doing the multiple 55 gallon drums buried in a leech field on the unusable part of our property. Again this is a very rural, wooded area without neighbors. Or doing the drum make fertilizer method? I don't see us putting in water or sewer anytime soon. But we do have electric from a co-op.

Thanks!!!!
Robin
2021 Shasta by Forest River 24BH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	240654   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	240655   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	240656  
Robin6812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:15 PM   #2

Black Tank/winterize questions Help! 1st time owner, Brand new TT

So my question is what is the best way to empty the black water tank since we are basically boon docking on our property & don't want to move trailer? I do have the Rhino Elbow piece. Just unsure what else I need.
A macerator, hose, portable tank? I have been using for over 1 month & just now getting close to 3/4 full. Any tips, certain YouTube videos to watch? Have always used RV TP, plenty of water, & a toilet enzyme. No odors at all. I just don't want to waste money buying something we don't need. I am unsure what to buy to empty & winterize. Any totally do not get the "blowing out the lines" or the term "back flushing" I know what it means. Just no clue on the steps...lol. Is that something I can do with the water pump I have? Help?? We bought this because we wanted camping to be easier but it seems a much harder learning curve.

Backstory- We bought a new 2021 Shasta 24BH last month. Our first TT. Upgraded from a pop up. We bought it basically new from a man that had bought it from dealer 10 days prior & then lost his job. Was never even used. So we never got a walk through. Has rear bath, mid kitchen, no slides. Fresh water fill on door side.
We have private property 3 acres that it is on with electric at side but no running water so we use a water pump & jug method to fill. Emptying grey water has been easy because it is just 2 of us & usually just me working remotely from it & on our own property. Our grey water is only shower water since we use paper & plastic for dishes. We have a full kitchen in our shed from when we had a pop up. We have a steep hill with a deep ravine (no creek nearby)
Both grey & black water tanks separate (36 gallon?) with a T discharge spot and pull handles for each per picture. No city water available but there is an anti-freeze outlet also on that side.Pictures attached. Terrain is a real pain to get TT level & really don't want to move.

My husband had talked about next year possibly doing the multiple 55 gallon drums buried in a leech field on the unusable part of our property. Again this is a very rural, wooded area without neighbors. Or doing the composting drums to make fertilizer method? I don't see us putting in well water or sewer anytime soon. But we do have electric from a co-op. The closest Dump station is about a 15 minute drive. We do plan to use the camper during the winter here but will winterize & just not use the water/toilet/shower facilities.
My husband is totally the type that won't ask questions & will spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars without taking the time to learn how to do it. I am the learner. Can anyone tell me where to learn at or give me a breakdown/ checklist? This manual sucks!
Thanks!!!!
Robin
2021 Shasta by Forest River 24BH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	240708   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	240709  
Old 10-07-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Without getting into too much of a discussion on what is is necessary to do so... or what is politically correct about dumping... what do your local codes say? You really need to follow them. Just because you live on acreage away from any close neighbors doesn't change the local code/laws.

The process of dumping/flushing the black tank isn't as complicated as what you seem to be making it...BUT... BUT... you MUST have an approved place to dispose of the waste.... no matter how you go about it.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #4

Oh, I agree. I am looking into local codes. We started out tent camping on this property so long ago & always followed the dig a latrine & bury waste / then burn the toilet paper. I am just trying to figure out what YouTubes to watch & things to buy for this year. I was thinking one of the macerator pumps and one of the portable tanks to empty. I just don't really get the whole back-wash thing since we don't have running water. It just seems like all the videos are geared towards true state park campers.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Black tank flush connections are a relatively recent sales gimmick.
For more years than I can remember, R/Vs didn't come with them.

Does that mean they aren't worthwhile? No, they certainly can help rinse the tank (depending on how well thought out the placement of the nozzle was by the factory) but if you follow proper protocol of using enough water when doing your business, flushing the black tank after dumping it is a moot point. Especially for those in your situation with limited water supplies to begin with. I'd rather be saving that water to do normal toilet flushing than to not use enough water to begin with and try to rectify the dreaded poop pyramid by using the black tank flush.

Many folks make the black tank into more than what it really is... it is a HOLDING tank, not a septic tank. So circle back to your question of how do you dump?... and again, I'll say that depends on what you are going to do with the waste?

If your codes allow you to dump directly on the ground then likely a macerator would help to break down any solids/paper to something more liquid that could be spread out on the ground. (think liquid manure trucks on farms)

If your codes allow you to bury some barrels (as you mentioned) or dig a ditch to dump into, then simply dump it in there, let nature do its thing and don't worry about flushing the black tank.

There's nothing wrong with some stuff staying in the tank for next time. Always put a few gallons of water back in after dumping, use your favorite black tank chemicals/GEO method and be done with it. I'm always amazed at the folks that rinse their black tanks 6-8 times or for 20-30 minutes after pulling the black tank valve. It's not like you are ever going to drink out of there.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #6

Purchase a portable holding tank on wheels to empty your rv tank and transport it to a proper dump site.. (don't fill it all the way up.. it will be heavy)
SEE:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Portabl...2180534&sr=8-2
clintbonnie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #7

It is possibe that a water treatment plant has a dump station allowing you to use for free. I live near the Naperville IL plant. Find out where the nearest one is to you and ask them. Also, State campgrounds usually have dump stations as well and you may be able to enter and access them for free. Finally, some private campgrounds may allow you to dump paying a fee. It seems to me dumping on the open ground is not acceptable for health, cleanliness and legal reasons.
rayham7777777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #8

Incinolet option

Hey. We've wrestled with similar issues. After draining waste from the TT's black water tank into a portable auxiliary tank, then transporting it to an appropriate dump station several times, the novelty wears off. Even with extreme caution, regrettable spills are possible. It's just a labor intensive and gnarly chore. Perhaps you need to do it so infrequently it's not a big deal.

I doesn't sound like you want to spend this kind of money, but (FYI) you might consider an Incinolet.

They cost about $2,000, but require no water and no septic system, using only electricity.

The Incinolet works great for us in a TT we use as guest quarters.
Best, Bryan
ElyWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:26 AM   #9

A macerator pump and a tank for your truck seem like the best short term solution. You'll want a large hose on the outlet of the truck tank so it will gravity flow with the solids. When I worked for the Forest Service, we had some old cabins that used a 55 gallon drum for a septic tank. I'd use one of the blue plastic ones. Run about 30 feet of perforated pipe from the drum (near the top of the drum to prevent solids from going into the leach field). Dumping gray water on the ground isn't really an issue as long as you aren't near water. Your local codes will be designed for a house that is used year around and include the unlimited gray water that comes with running water. Overkill for what you need. Just remember to leave the valve closed until you're ready to dump. Otherwise you'll get a pyramid of crap that will dry out in your trailer holding tank. Look up the GEO method, or make sure whatever treatment you use is septic tank safe.

Tags
black, black tank, tank, trailer, winter, winterize