RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-28-2020, 12:36 PM   #1

Black water flush

Hi all new here and have a question,
So I have a 2021 forest river salem hemisphere
34í fifth wheel. Just picked it up a month and a half ago.
In an attempt to use the black water flush, it doesnít seem to be working.
What I mean is I put a hose to it. I keep the black water valve closed and begin to fill through the flush.
In my estimate I let the water run roughly 5 minutes maybe more.
Then I pull (open) the black water tank, and nothing, not seeing no water running through the rhino clear end.
Where the heck is the water going, is there another valve Iím not opening.
I donít see the water running off somewhere else as if to say maybe a leak or something.
What am I missing??
Dghby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Hi Dghby! Welcome to the forum! I see it is your 1st post.

A couple of things... have you verified the handle you are pulling is for the black tank?

It wouldn't be the first time they were labeled incorrectly or the wrong color handle installed or that the cable became unattached (if equipped that way) and the handle moving but the valve wasn't actually opening.

Second... do you actually hear water flowing into the black tank when using the flush?

Again, there are almost weekly threads about black tank flush systems. Many have shown the Anti-siphon/Check valve to have been plumbed backwards at the factory, not allowing flow, while others have had them leak all over the bathroom floor. I can hear water going into the black tank when I use my flush.

5 minutes of actual water flow is a LOT of water... be careful with the valve closed that you don't overflow a tank and send water/sewage squirting out the roof vent!

One last thought... there have been a few reports of the cutout hole in the tank for the piping wasn't removed from the tank on assembly and it becomes lodged where the drain pipe attaches to the tank creating a blockage and not letting the tank drain. Has your black tank ever drained?
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 01:42 PM   #3

Yes the valve is definitely working, I have flushed the black tank several times already and I use the clear rhino end so I know it is definitely the black tank being emptied. Both the grey tanks are working properly as well when emptying them.
I must say I donít remember hearing water run into the blank tank from the flush. Mind you, I tried this after emptying the black tank first when leaving the campground.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:56 PM   #4

So if something like the check valve for the flush system was put in backwards, where is the water flowing?? Or when I turn the campground hose on after I connect it just doesnít flow because the valve is backwards?
Just trying to understand, obvious as this is new itís still under warranty,
I am 2 1/2 hours from the dealer. Just wondering
If I canít safely winterize for the season and take it to dealer in the spring or take it now. We are done camping for the winter.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The black tank flush Anti-siphon/check valve is often located in the bathroom sink vanity or behind a shower wall. They have been known to get stuck, blocking flow and as I mentioned before, plumbed backwards but you said you've used it so I doubt it is installed backwards..

You would be looking for something like this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	black tank flush anti-siphon-check valve.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	242107  

Old 10-28-2020, 02:06 PM   #6

You say you have "flushed the black tank several times already" and if that was using the flush system that would mean the valve cannot be installed backwards. Sounds as though the tank nozzle is clogged. If you actually meant emptied the black tank several times already then it could be a valve issue.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:10 PM   #7

Let me clarify, what I have used or done is I have emptied the black water tank.
That is all. When doing that the tank empties.
But when trying to put water thru the black tank flush system it is not reaching the tank. After 5 minutes I open the black tank valve and nothing comes out.
Is this valve you pictured part of the flush line or just the regular black tank line
Old 10-28-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dghby View Post
Let me clarify, what I have used or done is I have emptied the black water tank.
That is all. When doing that the tank empties.
But when trying to put water thru the black tank flush system it is not reaching the tank. After 5 minutes I open the black tank valve and nothing comes out.
Is this valve you pictured part of the flush line or just the regular black tank line
I can't tell you whether water is flowing through your black tank plumbing for those 5 minutes or not. We are not there. If you do not hear water flowing through the hose/plumbing then it may be blocked or plumbed backwards.

The valve I posted is in the black tank flush plumbing line.
I don't understand what you are differentiating when you say "black tank flush line" and "regular black tank line"?

From the outside of your R/V where you connect the hose for the black tank flush, the plumbing goes to the valve pictured and then on to the tank/nozzle.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Black_tank_flusher_block_diagram.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	242110  

Old 10-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #9

So so 5picker, I think you might be on to it. I found the siphon/valve you pictured above.
I took it apart and put water thru the flush system and have water flowing out the smaller hose, can you illustrate the direction of the water flow for me to determine whether mine is right or not, does it go in the bigger side first
Old 10-28-2020, 02:33 PM   #10

Thank you so much, I see it now. It actually shows the direction flow on the siphon/valve itself. Definitely the factory connected it backwards.

Thanks so much. Saved me a 2 1/2 hour trip, I can fix this myself
Old 10-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Flow is depicted in the schematic I posted in post #8.
I don't understand the comment... "I have water flowing out the smaller hose." I've never seen one where both hoses/lines attached to the valve weren't the same size?? That's why they are so easy to plumb/connect backwards. I'm pretty sure the valve has a flow arrow on it too.... in the bottom of the valve and out the side. (see photo)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blac-tank-flush-valve-flow.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	242111  

Old 10-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Thank you so much, I see it now. It actually shows the direction flow on the siphon/valve itself. Definitely the factory connected it backwards.

There you go... you beat me to it!

Glad you found and cured your issue!
And thanks for coming back and letting us know what you found.
It will help others in the same situation.
Unfortunately many ask questions but then never return.

Enjoy! It's all about the journey!

EDIT:... as a side note... there have been reports of that valve being plumbed backwards from the factory for several years. You'd think they could get it right by now... oh wait... that would be called QC (quality control) and is severely lacking in the R/V industry. Installing this valve correctly isn't rocket science.

I do understand there are a few factory folks on the forum making strides in QC in other divisions but that really needs to carry over across ALL lines.

OK... off my soapbox!

Old 10-28-2020, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote:

Glad you found it now do yourself a favor and let the flush do it's job and do not close the black tank valve when flushing . It will clean the tank better letting it just run with valve open . Also you may never do it but many many people have hooked up their flush closed the valve get distracted and then bang black tank on the ground and or flooded inside . do some research onn how to use your flush .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 03:06 PM   #14

He again thanks all for your help and guidance.
Sorry 5picker for confusing you. What I mean was the water was coming out from the other end which was just the small end. When it comes to tech stuff I have a problem explaining. I knew what I meant, a pic probably would have been better.
Again, I appreciate your help, I’m new but thinking I’m be sticking around
Old 10-28-2020, 03:26 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
Glad you found it now do yourself a favor and let the flush do it's job and do not close the black tank valve when flushing . It will clean the tank better letting it just run with valve open . Also you may never do it but many many people have hooked up their flush closed the valve get distracted and then bang black tank on the ground and or flooded inside . do some research onn how to use your flush .
And I'll offer an opinion from the other side of the fence...

I've seen several flush nozzles located in the tank where they did no good at all at flushing the tank when empty. In fact, one in particular was located above the tank's sewer drain outlet and actually PUSHED stuff back in when rinsing.

Unless you know the specific location of YOUR flush nozzle, I've had far greater results closing the dump valve, allowing some water to fill the tank and let the "Woosh" remove the crap! (pun intended)

As I mentioned previously... 5 minutes is a long time to be adding water so be cautious of your flow rate and how much water you are putting in over those 5 minutes. And yes... there have been those reports of being distracted with unfavorable results!

Old 10-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You say you have "flushed the black tank several times already" and if that was using the flush system that would mean the valve cannot be installed backwards. Sounds as though the tank nozzle is clogged. If you actually meant emptied the black tank several times already then it could be a valve issue.
Sorry bubbles I actually meant emptied the black tank and yes found the siphon/ valve and it was connected backwards. All fixed now, thanks
Old 10-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #17

That check valve on the outlet is way too tight, I ended up working the spring so it didn't take 80 psi to open it,
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, flush, water