Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2016, 07:44 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to avanti41
Broken (?) waste valve on Silverback 5th wheel...in tough spot.Help.

Hi, I have pictures to show you to see if you can help us. No toilet for week now and wife is going to leave with another guy who has a working commode! Ha.
Have done everything I know to loosen backup but good advice from Lilbro1945
leads me to believe that it is the Black Tank wastegate valve that is the culprit.
Went underneath today and tore open the belly and found the valve which is connected to the
Black handle in the basement panel alongside the Gray tank handle/cables.
It is in a tough spot for me to break loose due to a stroke but I think that I am still strong enough at 75 to do the job.
I do not see where the black cable is attached so that the valve can be operated from the panel??
Also, what is that 6" long black assembly attached to the left side of the assembly? The valve assemble is right next to the holding tank heater.
I have seen the videos on You Tube but none show a broken valve tucked way up into the chassis!
I do have buckets ready
Can you assist? Thank you! SORRY NO PIX YET. to be done
Mike
avanti41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Pictures would definitely help, but it sounds like the cable has come loose from the valve. It's not an electrically operated valve is it?

Post some pictures and we'll help you get it figured out.

If you're on a full hookup site, you may be able to open the valve, with pliers on the stem, etc. and dump before removing it from the plumbing.
Old 11-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #3

Same thing happened to us. Since you can already see the valve you should be able to work it by hand if all that is wrong is that the cable broke ( that is what happened to us). Also ask neighbors or park employees for help. I've always found them more than willing to help a fellow camper. If it's a bigger job than you want to tackle call a mobile tech, I've found them to be fairly reasonable (cheaper than a new wife)
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:09 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to avanti41
Hi Bama! thanks again for trying to help! When I was posting my "plea", I had 5 pix ready to include. I used Dropbox in my cellphone to try to download the pix here; I saw the many types of pix listed but I did not know which one to choose so I could place them here for Members to see and analyze.
I can send u the pix via email if you like? Lets go Private and I will give u my email.
First, on my 2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29lr I have MANUAL handles for the Black and Gray water tanks. The Black cable has gotten almost impossible to pull out! Since I suffered a stroke a while back, my strength was sapped so I have to plan carefully what I am going to do physically. I believe I can perform the job if I have to remove the assembly so we can have a usable toilet again! I think my wife is going to leave me soon haha.
Only the Black tank is giving us trouble. It was working fine for a year. I really cannot afford a plumber at this time as I am retired/disabled and my wife has been unemployed for 11 months. I use a macerator attached to the exit pipe because there is a small rise of the ground to the septic tank orifice. It is a Shurflo and works well but a friend says that the macerator often drains liquid first and the fecal matter backs up and maybe jams at the angled outflow pipe thus problems. So, upon pulling out the Black handle, there is a rush of waste down to the macerator. I run it out a 5/8" hose to the septic tank. Then, after say 8 minutes of emptying the flow stops and you then flush with graywater but it stops up and u have to wait a minute to build up in the see thru attachment and dump again and again. Why does it do this? Broken waste valve?
The valve is about 3-4 feet back in from outside where macerator but it is in a tough place. ALSO, I CANNOT SEE ON OR NEAR THE BLADE ASSEMBLY WHERE THE CABLE ATTACHES! Maybe you can spot it in the photos.
I ordered the whole assembly from Forest River dealer yesterday be here in a week. (there goes the wife).
It would be great if it was just the cable...how can I check that ?
Your advice would be very appreciated.
Michael
avanti41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:22 AM   #5

If you pull the handle and get a rush of waste, I would say the valve is working... Or at least opening partially. Perhaps you just have a clog? You might try a cheap snake (like from Harbor Freight) or a water hose from the outside in.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:51 PM   #6

I had a similar problem with my stock valve. They have twisted wire from the handle to the valve and it kinked somehow. I cut a 3 sided access hole in the underbelly and was able to operate the valve and then replaced it with a higher quality one. Then I taped up the access hole so I can easily get to it in the future.
The other thing I did was purchase a twist on waste valve like this one:Twist On Waste Valve, 3 - $18.65

Good luck.
Bill
Previously: 36' Country Coach
Havasu Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Post .jpg pics. If you're using the 'Quick Reply' box at the bottom of this thread to reply. Click the 'Go Advanced' button under it and you can add the pictures there to this thread.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:24 PM   #8

Hi Havasu Bill,

How did you know where to cut your hole?

I have a 2014 33RL, and would love to have a sort of decent fix on which underbody panel to attack, and/or where to cut out an access panel.

Thanks.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:11 PM   #9

Got tired of cable problems and put in an electric valve on black tank. No more problems
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, valve, wheel