Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #1

Busted my hot water tank

Being new to RV'ing I thought I had properly winterized my trailer but apparently I missed an important step - I didn't fully empty my hot water tank. It must have froze and cracked at some point over the winter. I went in it for the first time in a couple months yesterday to find a nice puddle of water on the floor. On top of something broken with the water heater my practically brand new 2013 Salem 26TBUD now has some swelled wood around the base of the kitchen, the finish looks horrible now around the bottom.

So first things first.. do I need to replace the water heater? Is there a chance I can get the tank welded/fixed? I haven't removed it yet so I don't know at this point where the actual leak is. I can't see it coming directly from the fittings so there may be a hole in the under-side of the tank.

Second, what are the chances of being able to order replacement wood for around the base of the kitchen?

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2013 Salem 26TBUD
nullvalue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Don't know about the wood replacement, but you may have been lucky if there is such a thing in this situation, and just busted a water line. I would definitely try to pressurize the system to determine where the leak is by putting some water in the fresh water tank and turn the pump on.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't know about the wood replacement, but you may have been lucky if there is such a thing in this situation, and just busted a water line. I would definitely try to pressurize the system to determine where the leak is by putting some water in the fresh water tank and turn the pump on.
Yeah I have done that and unfortunately I can't tell where the leak is coming from with all the styrofoam around the heater.. I do have a clear view of all the lines/pipes however and see no leaks from them..

2013 Salem 26TBUD
Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Most likely you did bust tank.
There's no repair unfortunately but replacing the tank.

Good luck.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Most likely you did bust tank.
There's no repair unfortunately but replacing the tank.

Good luck.

Turbs
Do I need to buy the whole water heater assembly ($400+)? or can I get away with somehow just replacing the tank?

2013 Salem 26TBUD
Old 03-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullvalue View Post

Do I need to buy the whole water heater assembly ($400+)? or can I get away with somehow just replacing the tank?
Sorry the whole unit has to be replaced.
Unless you find a used one.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Professional Texan

Quote:
I think you will have to buy the whole Enchilada.

I don't know what your deductible is but insurance might cover it. I tore my roof on a tree once and my insurance covered that, less the deductable.

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
I think you will have to buy the whole Enchilada.

I don't know what your deductible is but insurance might cover it. I tore my roof on a tree once and my insurance covered that, less the deductable.
Hmm I'll look into the insurance aspect.. Found a place online that sells the unit for about $320 new/shipped. Why don't these trailers come with any mfg instructions on how to winterize?? As a newbie I was left trying to figure out stuff on the internet.. really sucks.

Anyone have any ideas about replacing the swelled/ruined wood trim?

2013 Salem 26TBUD
Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #9

There are very good resources online on how to winterize; entire video's that walk you through the entire process.

You say that you didn't fully empty the water heater; if you had drained it at all, it would not have frozen and cracked. For a water heater to have done that, it would have had to have a good amount of water in it.

Before purchasing anything, you need to actually determine where the leak is. Don't just assume it's the water heater.
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Hmm I'll look into the insurance aspect.. Found a place online that sells the unit for about $320 new/shipped. Why don't these trailers come with any mfg instructions on how to winterize?? As a newbie I was left trying to figure out stuff on the internet.. really sucks.

This is where your dealer failed you....
A good dealer would have went through winterizing with you during pdi.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
One Happy Camper!

My previous TT had very detailed instructions on winterizing, but my wifes grandma tossed them when her memory started to go. I followed a internet video instructions, but after draining the wh I put the plug back in. Then I blew out the water lines and all the water dumped into the tank. It could not have been too much water but over the winter it froze and cracked the tank on the bottom. I replaced the wh with a new one by myself and it was a very easy job so no labor charges. When I replaced the wh I also put in a bypass which it did not have originally. It was a 400 dollar mistake. When we got our new TT we had the mechanic show is the winterizing procedures twice just so we were sure nothing changed with the newer unit. You could always ask your dealer to walk you through it once or have them do it and you watch.

Hang in there you are not the first and wont be the last to make this mistake.

Good luck!

SPPD

TV: 15 F-250 Crew 6.2 short bed, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:27 PM   #12

As far as the wood trim goes, get ahold of Forest River parts and you should be able to get what you need. I bought several custom sized cabinet doors as well as stiles and rails. You should be able to get what you need and the finish will match your original.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:28 PM   #13

Quote:

The heater will need replacing 1. If it is failed and 2. if its a Suburban model. The other guy is Atwood and they will sell you a tank for about 1/2 the price. The way to winterize it is to remove the anode with a socket, all the water will come out that way.

As for wood trim, I'm sure Forest River will sell you the pieces if well documented with photos. Like someone said make sure its the heater and then order what you need heater or tank. It happened to me with my first water heter. Good luck with repairs!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

I once froze my Atwood water heater 5 years ago. The tank did swell and burst a crack a few inches long. I took it out and had friend with a welding shop hammer it back into shape, then weld it. He charged me $30 for the job.It lasted the next 3 years till I traded the TT in.
The other option was to buy a new tank for $175 vs a 400+ complete heater. Lesson learned.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #15

I don't know why everyone insists that the tank needs to be replaced. I would take it out and see where the split is located. It may be an easy fix as elind said. You could then bench test it to make sure everything worked, and you would be good to go.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #16

Thanks for all the help here - I'll be giving Forest River a call tomorrow.

2013 Salem 26TBUD
Old 03-31-2013, 10:10 PM   #17

And as far as the wood goes, being that it is that new of a camper, I would think the factory could supply you with a replacement cabinet, especially if they haven't changed the design for this year.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #18

You have a new travel trailer and you did not receive any paperwork on how to winterize???? This is a customer service issue. EVERY camper I have ever owned came with manuals for each and every utility, electronics, plumbing, ect...I have owned numerous used and 3 new campers. I have walked out of dealers due to lack of employee knowledge and or bad customer service. Unfortunately, the 6 gallon water heater is an aluminum shell wrapped around a fiberglass liner. It cannot be repaired nor should you flood it with rv anti-freeze as this will destroy the liner.
hotshott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Being new to RV'ing I thought I had properly winterized my trailer but apparently I missed an important step - I didn't fully empty my hot water tank. It must have froze and cracked at some point over the winter. I went in it for the first time in a couple months yesterday to find a nice puddle of water on the floor. On top of something broken with the water heater my practically brand new 2013 Salem 26TBUD now has some swelled wood around the base of the kitchen, the finish looks horrible now around the bottom.

So first things first.. do I need to replace the water heater? Is there a chance I can get the tank welded/fixed? I haven't removed it yet so I don't know at this point where the actual leak is. I can't see it coming directly from the fittings so there may be a hole in the under-side of the tank.

Second, what are the chances of being able to order replacement wood for around the base of the kitchen?
Your water heater, unfortunately is not repairable. When next you winterize, DO NOT allow anti freeze into the heater. You will need to drain it and leave it empty. There is a by-pass valve that will allow you to do this. I made an earlier post that was in general to a gentleman that owns a new camper and did not receive any plumbing paper work or any literature on winterizing. I would have left that dealer in a heartbeat.
hotshott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
I don't know why everyone insists that the tank needs to be replaced. I would take it out and see where the split is located. It may be an easy fix as elind said. You could then bench test it to make sure everything worked, and you would be good to go.
Imo the work to get to the "leak" is more work then buying a replacement and getting it going.

I'd be affraid of the repair leaking down the road with expansion and contraction of these units it's a high possibility.
Besides if I leave on a 2 week camping outing and that thing leaks one day into trip my dw would show me the business end of FPOF ! Guaranty THAT!

Replace it and be done.