Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #21

Last Fall when I winterized for the first time, I screwed up big time! I drained my water heater and replaced my anode rod. I noticed a lot of crud coming out of heater so I flushed out the heater with a garden hose, BIG MISTAKE!
I didn't open up the bypass valve first to isolate my water heater. Crud traveled thruout the lines and plugged up screens in every sink, toilet, shower. OOPS! Hope this keeps you from making same mistake that takes hours to fix.
Utah Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsailor View Post
I never thought about that, I suppose because I never take the anode rod out. I usually take off the drain plug, then put it back on when the WH is empty. I can see the point, I guess, if one were to take out the anode rod. It's a better suggestion than anything of which I thought.
What are you referring to as the "drain plug"? If it's a plastic plug on your WH, then you have an Atwood and don't have or need an anode rod.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #23
TGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
It could be a safety concern. A WH full of pressurized air will shoot the anode rod a good distance if it is removed unless the pressure is released. It could easily injure someone. It will do this even with water in it, but the amount of pressurized air on a WH with water in it is less.
Compressed air can be very dangerous, much more so than pressurized water. It is far safer to bypass the water heater when blowing out the water lines.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:31 PM   #24

Always drain and bypass WT before using air.
ruggets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:16 PM   #25

I never air blow. Even with the correct air pressure i've seen water tubing connection loosen up and even unhooking. They don't build them like they use to .
Lappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappy View Post
I never air blow. Even with the correct air pressure i've seen water tubing connection loosen up and even unhooking. They don't build them like they use to .
Rather have air leaks then find the water puddle, have found both ways. These homes are Mobil and all the shaking and bouncing will loosen up mechanical connections. I check for new leaks every spring.....well every time I turn on the water. Also shut it off when leaving camp. As for the isolate the WH do it. If it is empty of water it just becomes a air compressor receiver and can take forever to blow down. I use air then pink stuff sucked it to the pump to the kitchen sink, pump is right below, so I know when water is completely out of pump and filter, then pump it to the toilet to protect that valve. One drop of water in that valve will break it. Rest of the Gal into the traps and done. Just had our 1st frost This morning but we are going out next weekend for the final trip of the year so our 2 small oil heaters into the rig today and it should be good for another week.
Happy camping.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #27

Just attended a seminar last weekend on winterizing RV/TT's; the techs (who winterize literally hundreds of them every fall and "de-winterize" them in several months later) explained that using low-pressure air (per the manual instructions... usually ~35 psi maximum) is safe, but to consider that a form of "insurance". Draining, blowing out, and instilling the proper RV anti-freeze to the system (again, per the manufacturer's instructions) is the only way to help prevent problems later on.

Here is a link to a good explanation of the types of anti-freeze:
http://mainecamperdealer.com/what-yo...v-anti-freeze/

Another consideration that I was previously not aware of is that the Propolene Glycol anti-freeze is far easier to clear from the system; the ethanol based stuff will require many hours and gallons of water to get rid of the nasty taste and smell.
Summit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit1 View Post
Just attended a seminar last weekend on winterizing RV/TT's; the techs (who winterize literally hundreds of them every fall and "de-winterize" them in several months later) explained that using low-pressure air (per the manual instructions... usually ~35 psi maximum) is safe, but to consider that a form of "insurance". Draining, blowing out, and instilling the proper RV anti-freeze to the system (again, per the manufacturer's instructions) is the only way to help prevent problems later on.

Here is a link to a good explanation of the types of anti-freeze:
What you need to know about RV Anti-Freeze - J&M Camper Sales - Maine Camper DealerJ&M Camper Sales – Maine Camper Dealer

Another consideration that I was previously not aware of is that the Propolene Glycol anti-freeze is far easier to clear from the system; the ethanol based stuff will require many hours and gallons of water to get rid of the nasty taste and smell.
The ethanol stuff will KILL you And it doesn't take a lot. That's why you NEVER use it in an RV. And that's why you're not allowed to flush your engine block to the ground anymore.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #29
PhD, Common Sense

Isn’t ethanol the kind of alcohol in booze? I thought methanol was the dangerous stuff.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
Isn’t ethanol the kind of alcohol in booze? I thought methanol was the dangerous stuff.
The most common forms of antifreeze for most of us is either Propylene Glycol or Ethylene Glycol, although methanol and gylcerol are also used.

PG is non-toxic and used for winterizing RV's, as well as in food preparation equipment.

EG is used in automobiles and other such machinery.

I'm unaware of ethanol being used in antifreeze, so I assumed the poster meant "ethylene."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifreeze

Old 10-15-2017, 07:47 AM   #31

My cheap 2.00/gallon RV antifreeze is ethanol based.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:23 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
My cheap 2.00/gallon RV antifreeze is ethanol based.
What brand?

Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by clhjsh View Post
I have tried both way's and I can honestly say to bypass the water heater and drain it via the drain plug and use air to complete the rest. If you use compressed air to force the water out of the water heater you will be pushing air thru the system for a lonnnng time.
It easily takes twice as long to winterize.
I have always done what you described, draining the water heater via the drain plug first, except for leaving the bypass valve open. Perhaps the thought is that if you drain the water heater and then reseat the drain plug, then blow the system out with the bypass valve open, you'll get some water back in the water heater. I wouldn't think you'd get enough to matter (I never have in the past) but perhaps you could?

2018 Coachmen Freedom Express 248 RBS
2014 Toyota Sequoia
stlsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
Look at your bypass valve. Is it on a vertical line between the hot and cold lines? If it is then the water will stay on top of the bp valve in the line. Air will not move it. This water will freeze in winter and crack the bp valve. Ask me how I know!!

Always open the bypass valve when winterizing.
Photo is attached. Is this what you're talking about?

2014 Toyota Sequoia
Old 11-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlsailor View Post
Photo is attached. Is this what you're talking about?
At least I thought photo was attached. I'll try again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coachmen Freedom Expression 248RBS Bypass Valve.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	544.6 KB
ID:	156139  

2014 Toyota Sequoia
Old 11-10-2017, 11:18 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If you pressurized the tank I GUARANTEE YOU will have "WHITE CRUD " Downstream! Youroo! !
I've not had it in the past, but I can see how it could easily happen. I hadn't thought of that.

2014 Toyota Sequoia
Old 11-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If you pressurized the tank I GUARANTEE YOU will have "WHITE CRUD " Downstream! Youroo! !
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
2nd point...look at your water pump. There is a filter attached to it. After all your blowing thru the system, unscrew the filter and make sure it is clean and empty. That can hold water and will freeze and crack.

This is the voice of experience!!!
Something of which I'd not thought, and good advice. Looking at the photo I just posted, I don't see a filter, however. I'll look next time I'm at the trailer lot.

[edit: It occurred to me that you are not talking about a hose type filter, but the water line filter. My water line filter is hooked up between the city water supply faucet outdoors and the hose to the trailer. HOWEVER, I do leave it in the trailer after I remove it , so if it still has water in it, it may be done for. But I need to replace it next spring anyway, so perhaps it's not the issue that an internal one would be. At least I think that's what you're talking about. Thanks for the thought.]

2014 Toyota Sequoia
Old 11-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdilday View Post
The water flows in the bottom of the water heater and out the top. Putting compressed air in the bottom of the water heater will only bubble thru the 6-12 gallons of water and continue thru the system as air. The water in the water heater will flow back into the rest of the system as soon as the air flow stops finding the low point of the system. Now you have water back in the pipes where it will freeze and cause problems. The only way to winterize with compressed air is to bypass the water heater before blowing out the system. Drain the how water heater by removing the anode rod or drain plug and opening the pop-off safety valve.
Granted. But I always remove the drain plug and drain the water heater before doing the air (I think, if I recall, the manual says to do it that way as well), in which case bypassing the water heater didn't seem that important.

2014 Toyota Sequoia
Old 11-10-2017, 11:28 AM   #39

No Anode Rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
What are you referring to as the "drain plug"? If it's a plastic plug on your WH, then you have an Atwood and don't have or need an anode rod.
Yes, I have a plastic plug, and yes, the manual that came with it says it is an Atwood. But I was totally unaware that you didn't have or need an anode rod -- though I did wonder why there was no plug for removing it. Why does an Atwood not need an anode rod?

2014 Toyota Sequoia
Old 11-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #40

By the way, apologies for suddenly posting several messages. I've been away from internet access for some time and just got back. And I do appreciate the good thoughts people are sharing.

2014 Toyota Sequoia

Tags
bypass, valve, winter