Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2021, 05:43 PM   #1

bypassing or removing water filter before sanitizing freshwater tank

Hello friends,

My RV Trailer is a 2020 GEO PRO G19BH by Rock Wood and I am still very new to camping, nor a handy man so please forgive me in case I ask silly questions here.

I am going to sanitize the freshwater tank now but I have no idea if I have to take out the water filter with its cartridge together, leave the hole open, then re-install the filter and its cartridge.

Is this process correct?

Do I need to touch any valves around the water heater tank?

I asked one technician from the dealership and I was told I do not need to touch any switch valves.

I do have a picture of my water filter that is installed under the bed, very difficult to access by human being even I am a smaller man.

Look forward to any of your response and much appreciate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV trailer water filter.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	258931  
Very is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #2

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Very View Post
Hello friends,

My RV Trailer is a 2020 GEO PRO G19BH by Rock Wood and I am still very new to camping, nor a handy man so please forgive me in case I ask silly questions here.

I am going to sanitize the freshwater tank now but I have no idea if I have to take out the water filter with its cartridge together, leave the hole open, then re-install the filter and its cartridge.

Is this process correct?

Do I need to touch any valves around the water heater tank?

I asked one technician from the dealership and I was told I do not need to touch any switch valves.

I do have a picture of my water filter that is installed under the bed, very difficult to access by human being even I am a smaller man.

Look forward to any of your response and much appreciate.
1)Relieve the water pressure by opening a faucet.
2)Get a plastic coffee can (preferably small) and place under filter. IF to tall of a can, cut to fit height.
3) unscrew filter housing by hand or with their plastic wrench. Remove filter and replace filter housing onto fixture.

You are then ready to run bleach water through system. You also should bypass water heater by clsing valves in rear. Refer to owners manual for directions.

The filter you removed has charcoal inside and bleach would have destroyed the charcoal.

Now I wait for someone to criticize my posting!
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #3
Always Learning

For #3, about the only thing I'd add- I would replace these filters at the time of sanitizing the system since you generally only do that about once per season.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:32 PM   #4

Thanks for your information.
Very is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:46 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

What l001952119 said (catchy screen name btw). you can leave valves open to hot water heater and sanitize that as well if you like.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #6

If you are sanitizing the fresh water tank leave all hot water faucets shut. DO not use them. They are not needed. Add sanitizer, fill tank, let sit and then run the pump to pump water thru all cold water faucets. Drain the tank, refill and drain tank, and then replace the water filter(fill the filter housing with clean water). Fill the tank up at the camp site and then you can run some fresh water thru the cold water faucets to clean them out if you do not like the taste. We use bleach for sanitizer.

Portagie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:53 PM   #7

If you want to continue using the water filter, do not run chlorine through it!! It will destroy the effectiveness of the charcoal filter!
Do this instead:
Turn off all sources of water to the trailer and turn off the water pump. Open the valves on one of the internal faucets. That will relieve the pressure in the system, then open the low point drains. While the system is draining out the low points, begin to open the water filter housing. The water in the housing will be pulled out and thus reduce any spilling when you pull out the water filter. Replace the housing without the filter and proceed with bypassing the hot water heater.
Fill the fresh water tank with chlorine and water. One cup chlorine to 40 gallons of water should do it. Seal up the low point drains and run the water pump. Open all the faucets, run toilet and both indoor and outdoor showers until you smell the chlorine.
Let the system sit overnight after running the chlorine water through the system.
Do the water heater separately.
Rinse the entire system the next day by the same procedure. I keep the water filter out in atorage until the next outing.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:13 PM   #8

I had a similair water filter in our tt. I put a garbage bag around the water filter when I took it out, to catch the spilled water. My suggestion for next year would be to take that out and put a piece of pex to connect the lines (ours was a Pain in the a** also). After doing this we bought a water filter that sits outside. It hooks up in line with the water hose. No more contortionist just to get the filter in and out. FYI, for winterizing, we would fill our water filter with ping pong balls so that it didn't take so much antifreeze (if you go that route).

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:18 PM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincia View Post
I had a similair water filter in our tt. I put a garbage bag around the water filter when I took it out, to catch the spilled water. My suggestion for next year would be to take that out and put a piece of pex to connect the lines (ours was a Pain in the a** also). After doing this we bought a water filter that sits outside. It hooks up in line with the water hose. No more contortionist just to get the filter in and out. FYI, for winterizing, we would fill our water filter with ping pong balls so that it didn't take so much antifreeze (if you go that route).
Some folks stick an empty water bottle in there for same purpose. If you're not an avid ping pong player.

I just use an air compressor and save the antifreeze for drains.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:20 PM   #10

NJKris, yes I've heard that that works well also. We found a bag of ping pong balls on clearance so used those.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #11

Cool

I just changed an identical filter today. One additional note: There is a rubber O-ring that sits in a groove in the top of the clear filter body. It can bunch up and create a leak as you tighten the body if it's not lubricated. Just a thin coat of plumbers grease does the trick.

CAMPING (n. CAM-ping) - When you walk the dog in your pajamas with a cup of coffee in one hand and a bag of dog poop in the other while striking up a conversation with total strangers.
PopFla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bypass, tank, water, water filter, water tank