Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #1

Calcium buildup in RV plumbing

Our 2013 Georgetown has developed a concern with calcium particulate buildup in the water system. We have always double filtered our water supply, on board filter, Water Pur CC1 and remote filter, Camco inline. I change the Camco every 2 - 3 weeks of use and have always attempted to fulley flush my system. In the last short period, the screen on the bathroom faucet totally clogged, the kitchen faucet totally clogged and the shower, ditto. I back-flushed the kitchen faucet with 35 PSI air pressure. I got a bunch of particulate matter out and it flowed well. I cleaned the screen on the bathroom faucet and cleaned, with CLR the shower nozzle and flushed the line. Last week we went to SC for a few days and the kitchen faucet completely clogged as did the shower. I picked up new ones at camping world and after again flushing everything to the best of my ability installed the new components. At this time all is well, however, I'm confident there is still some calcium particulate in the tank and lines. When we get back from our Thanksgiving trip, I'll be setting it up for a few months until Feb when we plan to go to Key West. I'll then have time to perform steps necessary to remove it all. I'm aware that white vinegar will dissolve calcium and am wondering if it would be advisable to try it. Any ideas and advise will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
Clark Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I'd venture to guess it's not calcium deposits.
I'd like to think it's possibly your anode rod breaking up.
When's the last time you looked at it or flushed the HW tank?

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 02:53 PM   #3

That was removed and inspected in the spring. At that time, there was no concern.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
Average Joe

Have you seen anything in your filter?

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

calcium "builds" up in a all plastic system when left dry.

Therfore I think you may have another issue if your water system is always wet.

Turbs
Old 11-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Craven View Post
That was removed and inspected in the spring. At that time, there was no concern.
I am with Turbs, and you may have parts of your anode becoming dislodged. I would advise to check it, and maybe flush out your water heater. The sacrificial anode rod will deteriorate according to the composition of the water supply.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #7

Calcium buildup

It was in fact, deterioration of the anode. I hadn't expected it so quickly, but over the last 8 months we have traveled over 11,000 miles from our home in Coastal GA. Down to Key West FL, up to Ontario Canada, West to Oregon and California and back across the Southern Tier. So, I guess we could have picked up some crappy water in any of 100 locations. Replaced the anode, flushed the tank out and all accessible lines. All is presently good. I'll drain the entire system from now on any time it will be parked over two weeks. Thanks for all your advice.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Good to hear!

Turbs

Tags
plumbing