Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2018, 08:50 PM   #1

Calgon use

Did not know whether to post this in funnies or here, but I have to report the comical mistake I made today.

After reading that the GEO method calls for Calgon to be put into the black water tank, I went to Wal Mart and tried to find some. I couldn't find any in the laundry section (learned later that store was out) so I went into the bath section. Sure enough, there were the Calgon Bath Beads. TWO fragrances!! We now have the best smelling toilet in the US.

I did a little more researching and found that another Wal Mart had the correct Calgon.

JD
Freebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #2

Have found that the Great Value type works just as well. We like the lavender scented fabric softener. A good smelling toilet is a must.

Just a note the detergent is also very good for cleaning the stains from the kitchen and bathroom sinks.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 10:57 PM   #3

I had understood that it must be water softener - not fabric softener. That means either Calgon Water Softener or Borax but not Downy or its generic equivalent. Doubt that my Calgon Bath Beads will do anything either - lol.

The bath beads are a water softening agent so I am waiting to dump to see if they work. I sure hate wasting a whole box since we only have a shower in the RV and there is a lot left.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:05 PM   #4

Ideally you want a non precipitating water softner. Precipitating water softner will add additional solids as they soften the water that are fine and would also create some buildup possibly over time if your not flushing with good velocity. Ie your tank isn't very full.
ProCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCamper View Post
Ideally you want a non precipitating water softner. Precipitating water softner will add additional solids as they soften the water that are fine and would also create some buildup possibly over time if your not flushing with good velocity. Ie your tank isn't very full.
Ok - so no Borax. I have already bought the right Calgon and will donate the Calgon bath to someone with a tub.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
Have found that the Great Value type works just as well. We like the lavender scented fabric softener. A good smelling toilet is a must.

Just a note the detergent is also very good for cleaning the stains from the kitchen and bathroom sinks.
Rich:

You DON'T want fabric softener. You WANT water softener. They are NOT the same!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
You DON'T want fabric softener. You WANT water softener. They are NOT the same!

Dammit! At the Exchange over the weekend I picked up a bottle of fabric softener. I guess I’ll make it go away and replace it with a jug of Calgon water softener. Thanks for letting us all know.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #8

So now how do I get this Calgon Bath out of there? Very low on the ingredients it does list mineral oil. So I don't think there is a lot of oil in there. I figure I could pour a cup of good Calgon and a cup of clothes soap in. Is that too much? Is my sewer going to look like a bubble bath!!
Old 01-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #9

You all are correct, but let me explain. Have used the detergent to keep tanks clean every since our first RV, for us this gets the sensors clean as well, at least until we set for a few months. This is probably my fault, as I leave the gray valves open. Have not added anything else such as a water softener.

In our previous Wildcat was at an RV store looking for something to help valves pull easier. Another customer said to use fabric softener it is cheaper and does same thing. So I have been doing this every since. Not with every tank but maybe once a month.

This is before we had problems with our black and one gray valve on our current Silverback. Found out it was the poor installation of the valve pull cables. The valves moved very freely without the cables attached. So I am not really sure if that is necessary anymore.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich5117 View Post
You all are correct, but let me explain. Have used the detergent to keep tanks clean every since our first RV, for us this gets the sensors clean as well, at least until we set for a few months. This is probably my fault, as I leave the gray valves open. Have not added anything else such as a water softener.

In our previous Wildcat was at an RV store looking for something to help valves pull easier. Another customer said to use fabric softener it is cheaper and does same thing. So I have been doing this every since. Not with every tank but maybe once a month.

This is before we had problems with our black and one gray valve on our current Silverback. Found out it was the poor installation of the valve pull cables. The valves moved very freely without the cables attached. So I am not really sure if that is necessary anymore.
Sorry, but that customer was wrong. Water softeners prevent the mineral ions in the water from forming limescale. Fabric softeners coat your clothes with a chemical that makes them feel softer.

Two different things.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProCamper View Post
Ah! I didn't know that. We just got our camper and I had seen others mention using Borax so I bought some, but haven't used it yet. Back to the store...
wannabeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeowner View Post
Ah! I didn't know that. We just got our camper and I had seen others mention using Borax so I bought some, but haven't used it yet. Back to the store...
I was considering Borax until I was informed. Aren't we glad for this forum? Just wouldn't know how to take care of our RVs without it. I'm thankful for the help. Now if I could just stop doing dumb stuff.

JD