Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 06:22 PM   #1

can i use fr1 filter without kw1 cartridge

I know there have been many post about this filter / canister combination and I don't want to discuss their costs and merits. I want to know if I can remove the filter canister from the housing, put the housing back on without a canister, and then run water through the system. the reason is that I pumped antifreeze through the system and left a filter canister in the housing. i know it is probably contaminated with the antifreeze. i bought a new filter canister. what i would like to do is remove the existing canister, put the housing back on, hook up city water and flush the antifreeze out of all the plumbing without the filter installed. then when things are good i would remove the housing, put in the new filter canister, reinstall the housing and then have good water. is this possible? if now how should i flush out the antifreeze?
Old 01-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #2

Yes. Don't over tighten the housing with the filter missing. I did that for months. Just tighten it enough to keep it on. If you tighten it too far it will break the latch that holds the cover on as there is no filter to stop it.

FR did that to me so I had to replace the entire housing months later.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote