Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2022, 03:58 PM   #1

Can water filter be sanitized and re-used?

I have a WaterPur water filter in the camper that uses a KW1 filter cartridge. The filter I removed last fall was used less than 2 weeks and is still perfectly clean. Can it be sanitized and used again? They are expensive and hard to find.
Old 01-24-2022, 04:52 PM   #2
D W

Never heard of anyone sanitizing a water filter. Those things are designed to trap contaminants. Hard to imagine what the "sanitizing" process would entail?
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #3

Amazon has them in stock, but you're right... they are expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/WaterPur-Repl...3066251&sr=8-3
I wouldn't reuse one because all sorts of things could be growing inside that filter. They don't seem to have any information about how to store or sanitize the filters.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:05 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

There are some companies making cheaper versions now, I picked a BUNCH up at the Goshen FROG rally last summer, I think they were 10 bucks a pop when you bought 3 at a time. No, you can't sanitize them, the bleach will ruin the carbon portion of the filter that helps remove undesirable odors/tastes.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:06 PM   #5

I saw those Neo Pure on Amazon but I wasn't sure about the quality of those. That's probably what I'll end up getting. I was just wondering if anyone had tried sanitizing a filter in a bucket of sanitizer like you would use to sanitize the tank and water lines. I would think that would kill anything growing in the filter but I'm afraid it might affect the carbon filter.
Old 01-24-2022, 11:43 PM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

I think the ones sold at rally were Neo Pure. They appear identical, I can't remember micron rating, but think it is same as original. Anyway, I have yet to even use the original one that came with camper, as I use the cheaper Camco blue torpedo filter on the hose, which has worked fine so far.

I'm saving the other filters for if I ever end up somewhere that requires double filtration (hoping I never end up in such a place!)

And as mentioned in my last post, sanitizing filter will ruin carbon component, so, DON'T DO IT!
Old 01-25-2022, 04:46 AM   #7

I'm a cheap bstd. But few things i don't screw with, Elec Wiring, Water quality.
wildmanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:31 AM   #8

I ordered a Neo-Pure from Amazon. I agree, re-using is not worth the risk.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:29 PM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris
There are some companies making cheaper versions now, I picked a BUNCH up at the Goshen FROG rally last summer, I think they were 10 bucks a pop when you bought 3 at a time. No, you can't sanitize them, the bleach will ruin the carbon portion of the filter that helps remove undesirable odors/tastes.
This is the one sold at the Rally and it's the same company. It's normally $20 from them: https://www.forestriverelectronics.c...t-p/filter.htm

They also can be bought direct from WaterPur for $30 plus shipping: https://waterpur.com/products/kw1-cartridge

Ray
Old 01-25-2022, 03:02 PM   #10

I figured my health and well-being are a lot more important than a couple of $$$$ saved. I throw away my filters every two or three weeks when they are used constantly as we move between campgrounds. When we are stationary say for a month or so than they are replaced monthly.

Oh, BTW I am on a fixed budget since I retired in Feb 2009.

Just my $0.02.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:25 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
This is the one sold at the Rally and it's the same company. It's normally $20 from them: https://www.forestriverelectronics.c...t-p/filter.htm

They also can be bought direct from WaterPur for $30 plus shipping: https://waterpur.com/products/kw1-cartridge

Ray
Yes, those in first link I got at rally, correct. No shipping! Just had to pay 500 bucks in gas to get there, lol.

WaterPur can kiss my blue Camco bullet! 30 bucks plus shipping. Criminals.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:28 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I figured my health and well-being are a lot more important than a couple of $$$$ saved. I throw away my filters every two or three weeks when they are used constantly as we move between campgrounds. When we are stationary say for a month or so than they are replaced monthly.

Oh, BTW I am on a fixed budget since I retired in Feb 2009.

Just my $0.02.
They can continue to be used until you notice a drop in water pressure. Any filter I used gets stored in fridge in between trips, one filter easily lasts me a full camping season, approx. 30-35 nights in my case.
Old 01-25-2022, 03:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

Ray
Is forestriverelectronics owned or licensed by Forest River, Inc.? If not, I would not be surprised if they got a cease and desist letter, especially because they're using Forest River's logo.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:46 PM   #14

I get about a year out of mine, back-flushing them with dilute chlorinated water (maybe 20ppm) after each of our four annual excursions. After flushing, I shake out the water and put the cartridge out in the sun for a few days, rotating it daily.

Given that most water sources are about 3 ppm chlorine, back-flushing with 20 ppm isn't going to do the carbon any harm.

My use is probably under 2000 gallons per year while most of these filters are rated for 10,000 gallons or more. I've torn one apart after a year and the carbon block is healthy and the filtration material is clean enough.

My only exception to the above is that if we hit questionable water or the filtration layer collects anything disgusting, that filter is discarded right away and we flush the tank and find another water source. This has only happened twice in seven years.
100% dry camping and boondocking.
https://hclarkx.slickpic.com/gallery/?viewer
Hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:52 PM   #15

Pull it out, drain it as best you can and leave it in an open area to dry out.

Use it next year. Honestly, that's what I do today with my hose-connected charcoal inline filter...

I don't think a weak bleach solution would harm too much either (for you germiphobes) .
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:16 AM   #16
7 Year Class A RV'er

My Solution

Yes, that filter is expensive! I found a solution, though. Went to Camping World and bought their generic filter (about $65) to replace the FR installed unit. Bolts right in and the new filter cartridges are like $5 each on Amazon.
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
Jim34RL - unless you are staying at places with REALLY (REALLY) bad water it is not necessary to replace the filters that often. I too am retired so appreciate the health and well-being stance. However, I used to work for a company that made water filtration systems and we had the same supplier as a well known pour-through filter product (name omitted on purpose).

That filter cartridge manufacturer told us that the filters last far longer than the literature tells us. They stated that the 90 day life count down timer on pour-through (and end of faucet) filters was a marketing idea to sell more filters. The average pour through filter cartridge is good for about 1200 gallons. Without the 90 day “life” timer, people were not buying enough replacement filters.

Now - there are some disclaimers, such as this depends on the quality of the water coming in. If you are using well water (completely unregulated) then all bets are off as to longevity of the filters. While many (probably most) wells provide excellent water, it is not treated or regulated. There are any number of potential contaminants therein.

But if you are using a municipal or public water supply, EPA regulations require certain minimum water quality standards be met and the filter life is potentially (not literally, but nearly) forever.

You will know the filter needs to replaced if you start tasting chlorine. Otherwise, keep pumping (our pouring) water through them.

Filters are (ridiculously) expensive, replacing too often is (literally) money down the drain.

Just a couple of $0.02 from a former industry person.
Mikeytheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:56 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
Given that most water sources are about 3 ppm chlorine, back-flushing with 20 ppm isn't going to do the carbon any harm.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarkx View Post
My use is probably under 2000 gallons per year while most of these filters are rated for 10,000 gallons or more. I've torn one apart after a year and the carbon block is healthy and the filtration material is clean enough.
Can’t really tell by looking as most of what gets filtered out is too small to see, but most of us are used to the marketing materials
They tell us we need to replace every 30 days or whatever - but I agree with you - you don’t have to replace these things more than once a year - unless you have questionable water coming in. I bet most RV’ers (unless full time) don’t use 2000 gallons a year.
Mikeytheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:44 AM   #19

Water Filter

I agree with a lot of posts re draining, drying and storing. We do maybe 2 months of camping a season and I just reuse the same filter for maybe 3 or 4 years. Have never had a problem.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:56 AM   #20
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyR View Post
I have a WaterPur water filter in the camper that uses a KW1 filter cartridge. The filter I removed last fall was used less than 2 weeks and is still perfectly clean. Can it be sanitized and used again? They are expensive and hard to find.
If you removed the filter from its housing and it was left to dry and sat dry over the winter, protected from contamination, then I’d be willing to re-use it the following year. If it wasn’t kept somewhere to protect it from contamination, I’d throw it away. The OEM KW1 water filter is a good quality filter. With water filters, you get what you pay for. I use a 0.5 micron filter every time, everywhere. You just never know. I’ve re-used my 0.5 micron filter the following year for a short period because I didn’t have a new one on hand, but I’ve gotten into the habit of ordering new filters every Spring and start the season with a new one.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter