Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 06:02 PM   #1

Canada Provincial Parks water hookup

Hi,

Searched the forum with no luck. We're planning a trip through Canada this summer and have read that Provincial parks often don't have water hookups at the sites and, if they do, don't have hose bibs. Apparently you need a different way to connect the hose from the RV to the source, but I don't know what that is. True? What's the name of what I need to buy?

We're ok using our onboard freshwater tank but it'd be good to connect to the park's water if possible. Don't want to get there and find I need a $15 adaptor!

Thanks!!
Blog for our trailer trips: www.jackandaprilblog.com
jackconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #2

Most Provincial Parks in Ontario do not have water hooknups - with a few exceptions. But they all have a fresh water fill station you can fill your tank with before heading to your site. They also have taps spread throughout the parks where water containers can be filled.
Blue Ox SwayPro
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:16 PM   #3

One more thing, if you did have a site next to one of the public taps, you could run a hose to it to refill your tank - youd need a water thief or water bandit to attach. You wouldnt be able to remain hooked up as these taps are for the use of all campers.
Blue Ox SwayPro
True North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:31 PM   #4

as we traveled both ends of Canada, the latest was last summer from Manitoba across the 1 to 16 to 43 to Dawson Creek and the Yukon - we found many varieties of municipal and similar parks, all along the highways, mostly in small rural towns. Some had water spigots at each site, some even sewer, and many with electricity, including 50amp. Quite a few of these are 'Lions Club' or similar type parks, with a small fee you can leave in a box, and some are municipal or rural parks, with a 'suggested' fee and drop box. We found a Lions Club full hookup park in MacGregor, MB at the MacGregor Lions Club Campground, right next door to the ice rink. A nice little rv park and campground, as the RV Park is back in sites with full hookups, and the campground is more of a rural shaded and wooded section nearby with picnic tables. A donation box is available.

another one was in Maidstone, SK at Half-Way Rest Stop and Campground, really just a simple little campground, right off the highway. A suggested donation, and 15a outlet at some sites - wooded, rural, some pull thrus, and they do have water - but just the 'hand pump' style that you cannot hook up to - only for filling jugs. No waste dump, but most of the larger towns will have them at their welcome center, and sometimes water too.

We dumped some times at a welcome/rest center along the way, when needed, but finding water didn't seem to be any problem. Canada is VERY rv friendly.

just google maps your area you are going to, type in the search 'campground', and you'll see many options.... zooming in will also sometimes give you even more!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackconn View Post
Hi,

Searched the forum with no luck. We're planning a trip through Canada this summer and have read that Provincial parks often don't have water hookups at the sites and, if they do, don't have hose bibs. Apparently you need a different way to connect the hose from the RV to the source, but I don't know what that is. True? What's the name of what I need to buy?

We're ok using our onboard freshwater tank but it'd be good to connect to the park's water if possible. Don't want to get there and find I need a $15 adaptor!

Thanks!!
Entering Manitoba from the east there’s a provincial park approximately 10 miles in from the Ontario border. It’s the whiteshell p.p. and has a townsite ( falcon lake) on the south side of the highway with full hookups. 30 amp only.
Near Winnipeg just north of the city there is Birds hill p.p with full hookups.
On the west side of the province there’s spruce woods p.p. With full hookups.
A link to all our parks

https://www.gov.mb.ca/sd/parks/popul...lpha_list.html
Old 03-19-2018, 06:57 PM   #6

It's hit and miss.
Some have water on site, some don't. Many have non potable water only or even a hand pump.
Your best bet would be to come prepared by carrying a water bladder, water thief, hose clamps and a transfer pump all stored in a 5 gal. pail.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:03 PM   #7

Most provincial parks in ontario do not have water or dump on site . You will have to fill up in the park and dump when you leave. There are lots of private run parks that will offer everything
Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I camp almost exclusively in Ontario Provincial parks. I carry 250 ft of water hose and many variations of hose bib adapters. the spring loaded facets are easy to block in the on position with vice grips and big slotted screwdriver. I fill up upon entry to the park, my 60 gallons can go a long way if you are careful.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #9

Thanks for all the quick replies (as usual on this forum - wonderful!)!!! Sounds like I'm good to go if I buy/bring a "water bandit" and a good way to transfer water from a hand pump to water jug to my trailer fill port. We typically don't stay many days at one site so not a problem if no (or partial) hookups.

Thanks!
Blog for our trailer trips: www.jackandaprilblog.com
jackconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #10

Every ontario provincial park will have a fresh water fill station . You wo t need anything except maybe your rv hose for some most have a hose .
Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #11
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I camp almost exclusively in Ontario Provincial parks. I carry 250 ft of water hose and many variations of hose bib adapters. the spring loaded facets are easy to block in the on position with vice grips and big slotted screwdriver. I fill up upon entry to the park, my 60 gallons can go a long way if you are careful.
Curious how you’re able to do this!? Do you have a picture?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #12

True North was well said for Ontario Parks.

I arrive with a full tank of water and have a couple of 6 gallon jugs and top up the water tank every couple of days.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by True North View Post
One more thing, if you did have a site next to one of the public taps, you could run a hose to it to refill your tank - youd need a water thief or water bandit to attach. You wouldnt be able to remain hooked up as these taps are for the use of all campers.
They like to ground the threads off to stop exactly that.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #14

Most in Alberta do not, although Aspen Beach at Gull Lake has some full service sites, and I'm pretty sure the PP in BC don't either.

Get some extra hose, and if you are close enough to a water supply you can fill your fresh tank. We have pooled our hoses together and stretched out 300' of hoses to fill units. Of course you have to beware of filling your grey and black tanks because they won't have campsite dumps either.
Max Tow (10 speed, 3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2000 Honda EX 400, Rad Rover 6 Plus
Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #15

Drill pump

When we drove to the Yukon last year we took 3 - 5 gallon water containers and a pump that attaches to an electric drill. These things are available at auto supply stores for about $12 CAD or 50 cents USD. Came in very handy when we ran into non potable water areas.
kirkwilliams2049 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:05 PM   #16

From other’s postings , sounds like BC is much like rest of the country. We do extensive provincial camping in BC and very few have water serviced sights but nearly all have a hose you can hook up to and fill your tank and a dump station for when you leave. There are only two parks that I can think of that have SOME water and power serviced sights..... Kokenee Creek in the south and Meziaden Lake in the northwest.
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #17

Agree with all above except comment on lack of dump sites. All Ontario Prov. Parks we have been to have dump stations.

Loved the comparison of Cdn to US currencies.

Cheers to all, eh?

amblt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:02 AM   #18

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
Curious how you’re able to do this!? Do you have a picture?
No Picture, when I am filling 65 gallons it takes a while and the spring return facet is hard to hold for that long. The old push button facets i used a racket strap to hold the button down. When I am out at Inverhuron end of the month I will take a picture. We are spending our entire camping season at provincial parks.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, water