Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #1

Unhappy Can't get hot water! 2010 Roo 21SS

I know several posts are out there regarding hot water heaters, but none seem to be specific to my model.

Attached is an image of my water heater.

Can someone please explain to me how it functions? That is, does the water go into the tank via the blue (cold) line and out of the tank via the red (hot) line? This makes logical sense to me, but I can't get hot water out of the tank for the life of me!

As seen in the image, we had some work done on the tank in the past to replace the shut-off valve on the hot water line. So its different from the traditional black valves.

In order to get hot water, I am assuming all I need to do is open the hot and cold, close the winter (perpendicular line) valve. But, that doesn't work.

There's hot water in tank. I heard the water flow into the tank, and heard the heater fire up and the tank is hot to the touch.

Anytime I close the winter valve, I get no water at all when I turn on the hot water at the faucet. This doesn't make sense to me.

When the winter valve is open, I get only cold water when I turn on the hot water at the faucet.

What am I missing? I have tried EVERY combination of open and closed valves and still no success!

I welcome any support.

Thank you in advance.
~ Kathy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	82372  
KFenlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #2
Site Team

It sounds like your 'hot water out' valve is closed or off.

I can see in the pic you posted that your 'bypass valve' is open. This is going to allow cold water (blue line) into the hot water line (red line)...so you will get cold water out of the hot water taps when turning them on. it also appears the 'cold water in valve' (blue water line only) is also open (and needs to stay like you have it in the pic above)

Close the 'bypass valve' (handle is perpendicular to the piping when closed). Make sure the 'cold water in' valve stays open......then turn the 'hot water out valve' to different positions to see if it opens up....and you get hot water out of the hot water taps.

The replaced 'hot water valve' is probably where your problem lies. It's not open, and is most likely closed. This would be the scenario that allows cold water into the heater, but no heated water out of the heater. Close the 'bypass valve', and make sure the 'cold water in (blue line only) valve' remains open. Now change the position of your 'hot water out valve' handle till you get hot water from it to your taps.

If you never do get water out from the hot water valve , it could be possibly bad too (but doubtful)

It's also possible you have a check valve on the hot water line that is not opening...but this is usually only if you don't have a manual valve on the 'hot water out' line.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

How do you know for sure tank is full?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:43 PM   #4

Smile Thank you wmtire and turbs!

wmtire,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly and reassuring me that I wasn't cracking up! I thought I understood how the piping and valves worked.

I didn't respond sooner as I ran to the camper to check things out as soon as I got your response!

As it turns out, the cold-in valve was broken! The tank wasn't full!

Since I understood the piping and the valves, thanks to wmtire, I followed up on your post turbs, and opened the emergency valve on the tank only to find a small amount of water in the tank!

Thanks to the local traveling RV repair man, I'm back in business. It's going to be a great vacation after all.

Thank you both again!

~ Kathy
KFenlon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, roo, water