Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Bus36

Can't get pump to move RV Antifreeze

I have a 2012 Wildwood 36BHBS purchased April 2011 and at the end of the season in Oct I was winterizing it and ran into an issue. Just like my other trailer (2000 Cherokee 29Z) I used the fresh water inlet and a funnel to pour 3 gallons of RV Antifreeze into the tank. (We don't drink the water in the trailer so not worried about contaminating drinking water.) Then I by-passed the hot water heater and attempted to pump the AF through the lines. The pump ran but never moved the AF through the lines. I ended up pouring another 4 gallons of AF into the tank to make sure the pump was able to get the AF moving, still nothing!

We were under a last minute time crunch, so a friend had a manual pump that we used and pumped the AF straight from the bottle (using the city water inlet) and got it pumped throughout the trailer manually - because I HAD to get it winterized somehow.

Now, at this point there are upwards of 9 gallons of AF somewhere in my trailer (not in the Hot Water Heater though because I by-passed it). Just before leaving for the day in Oct (permanent campsite) I decided to see if I used the drain from the fresh water tank if some AF would drain out...turned the valve...and NOTHING. Nothing came out - not water, not AF - nothing. I opened all lines inside the trailer and still nothing.

Does anyone have a Wildwood that had the same issue?! Help.
rmtiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmtiani View Post
I have a 2012 Wildwood 36BHBS purchased April 2011 and at the end of the season in Oct I was winterizing it and ran into an issue. Just like my other trailer (2000 Cherokee 29Z) I used the fresh water inlet and a funnel to pour 3 gallons of RV Antifreeze into the tank. (We don't drink the water in the trailer so not worried about contaminating drinking water.) Then I by-passed the hot water heater and attempted to pump the AF through the lines. The pump ran but never moved the AF through the lines. I ended up pouring another 4 gallons of AF into the tank to make sure the pump was able to get the AF moving, still nothing!

We were under a last minute time crunch, so a friend had a manual pump that we used and pumped the AF straight from the bottle (using the city water inlet) and got it pumped throughout the trailer manually - because I HAD to get it winterized somehow.

Now, at this point there are upwards of 9 gallons of AF somewhere in my trailer (not in the Hot Water Heater though because I by-passed it). Just before leaving for the day in Oct (permanent campsite) I decided to see if I used the drain from the fresh water tank if some AF would drain out...turned the valve...and NOTHING. Nothing came out - not water, not AF - nothing. I opened all lines inside the trailer and still nothing.

I'm always curious as to why people don't drink the water from their TT. We sanitized our tanks when we bought it, filled them up, and have been drinking/cooking, brushing our teeth, etc. with the water ever since. And we will sanitize every spring when un-winterize so we're good for the 2012 camping season. We fill up at campgrounds and don't take the water from home. But then again, we have abundant sources of clean fresh water all over the state of Wisconsin. Guess I may be spoiled.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Bus36

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
I'm always curious as to why people don't drink the water from their TT. We sanitized our tanks when we bought it, filled them up, and have been drinking/cooking, brushing our teeth, etc. with the water ever since. And we will sanitize every spring when un-winterize so we're good for the 2012 camping season. We fill up at campgrounds and don't take the water from home. But then again, we have abundant sources of clean fresh water all over the state of Wisconsin. Guess I may be spoiled.
We have a permanent site and the water is nasty! So no matter how well we sanitize, it's gross. We just bring bottles of water from home and brush teeth, brew coffee, drink, etc. from those bottles. Not a big deal...rather have the good water!! Since we don't travel with our trailer, this works for us...

Any ideas on what is going on with my brand new trailer!?
rmtiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
camping

what size is the tank and did you ever use it?
we had the same problem/symptoms on our V-Lite- we would fill it up and only get 2/3 of the water out. the bracket that held the tank bent causing the tank to sit at an angle- the pump and drain line were on the high side. it was repaired and all is good now.
If you are able you need to look at the tank and see if it is installed correctly -if not talk to your dealer and see if you can get it in to be checked out.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #5

Quote:

We have the same issue, I am not sure what happened we dump like 16 gallons of antifreeze into the freshwater tank and turned on the pump, but nothing happened. it did not go into the Water heater the pump was running, I crawled under the camper and opened the value to the freshwater tank and nothing came out there was nothing on the ground either. so where did all that antifreeze go? I have a 2000 wildwood 37bhss. We just bought this camper our last one was a Hybrid and we had no issue winterizing the camper our selves. But I am totally scratching my head on this one
Reneedann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

on some units it may take MORE than 12 to 15 gallons to get the pickup tube to start sucking . thats why most install a antifreeze fill kit on there pump directly so that it only takes 3 gallons or so to do the whole system. or they blow out all the lines and then dump antifreeze into the traps .
besides that you dont have to sanitize fw system .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

the anitfreeze is in your fw tank it has nowhere else to go . you may have to open drain valve and taper camper to that side . and are you sure you opened the fw drain valve and not a low point drain ?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

as a side note ......
even if you dont drink the water you still have to do dishes and take showers ?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
the anitfreeze is in your fw tank it has nowhere else to go . you may have to open drain valve and taper camper to that side . and are you sure you opened the fw drain valve and not a low point drain ?
That's all I can think of, too. The AF has to still be in the FW tank and there is more than one valve.

Can you see the tank or is it enclosed?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
Lottery Non-Winner

Next time you put any liquid in your fresh tank, have someone pour it in while another person (you) crawls around underneath looking for it leaking out. Its either in your tank and the pick up is not on the bottom of the tank, or it has leaked out. One or the other IMO.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, pump, tank, wildwood, winterize, valve